The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

In 100 years since First ever Arc which were the best ever wins?

Home Forums Horse Racing In 100 years since First ever Arc which were the best ever wins?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

Today we commemorate 100 years or the birth centenary of the Prix De.L’Arc De Triomphe,the most prestigious race of the European calendar.I am ranking the best ever performances to win the race in order of merit.

1.Sea Bird (1965)

Cut across the field as though setting the track ablaze to have 6 lengths to spare at the post.Reminiscent of a great emperor leading his knights a victory procession having demolished the best ever field assembled in an Arc.It included French Derby winner Reliance,Washington International winner Diatome,King George winner Meadow Court and American Derby winner Tom Rolfe.Sea Bird annexed opposition displaying supremacy over rivals in regions of divinty.Arguably never in a big middle distance race have rivals been reduced to such merciless submission.Sea Bird was simply like a Sun surrounded by planets.

2.Dancing Brave(1986)

Displayed the greatest finishing speed ever by a horse in the Arc travelling like a plane taking off a runaway.Conquered arguably the best Arc field ever with the likes of French Derby winner Bering,Dual Derby winner Sharastani,Champion racemare Triptych,Champion older horse Shardari,German Derby winner Archenago and Darara.Gave a sensation of a 360 degree reversal of plot in an epic like a manifestation of the energy of the divine.When Dancing Brave made his victory bid it virtually looked like a new race started lik a bunch of stars extinguished in a galaxy and a comet appearing.

3.Ribot(1956)

Inspite of times when travel was debilitating Ribot trounced the best before him in the majestic manner .Morally he won by a margin of 8 lengths as shown in the patrol film. and not 6 as adjudged.Ribot exuded the aura of invincibility at its zenith.

4.Peintre Celebre

The closest incarnate of Sea Bird majestically striding down the straight to win by 5 lengths in record time.Conquered some of the best horses in Pilsudski,Singspiel and Helesio.

5.Mill Reef(1971)

Even though not at his best with the clinical or surgical precision of a surgeon Mill Reef sliced through a gap to win by 3 lengths in a field looking virtually impregnable at one stage.After hitting the front there was arguably never grace taken to such sublime regions in the Arc ,who looked as invincible as anyone winning in record time.Defeated the high class French filly Pistol Packer as well as the class colt Caro.

6.Vaguely Noble(1968)

Compared favourably with Sea Bird conquering the great Sir Ivor by 3 lengths.Epitome of perfection in a racehorse perfectly blending speed and stamina.

7.Zarkava (2008)/Treve(2013)

Both fillies revealed finishing speed of lightning and thunder .Zarkava broke through an impregnable gap resembling a surgical operation by an army.Treve hit the front and ran away with the majestic strides of an invincible emperess.Rarely have such depths of acceleration been shown in recent times.

9.Alleged(1978)

Unbelievable the manner he simply toyed with the best of opposition hitting the front in the mid-way,to cruise away. Defeated stalwarts like Trillion and Dancing Maid.

10.Rheingold(1973)

Treated the great Filly Allez France withe contempt never seen in her racing career,to win with authority of a great army.

11.Saakhee(2001)

Ground his rivals to dust by 5 lengths as few have ever did in the Arc in recent times.

12.Helisio(1996)

Won in classical fashion by 5 lengths leading all the way.Defeated the talented Singspiel and Pilsudski.

admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 766

I think the Alleged double were two of my favourite Arcs from a sentimental viewpoint but Dancing Brave’s was some race.

David

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@David Was not Alleged better in 1978?Any view on my rating in order of merit?Zarkava aand Treve right up there? I feel after Sea Bird and Dancing Brave Peintre Celebre was oustanding and Ribot considering era.I don’t think Sea the Stars was at his best in the Arc.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 818

I think Treve’s second win was better than her first. She had a troubled preparation (to put it mildly) yet still managed to win impressively. Criquette Head was a truly great trainer and I think that was the best training performance of my lifetime.

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@CorkAllStar

How do you compare Treve to Zarkava?better?Close to a Sea Bird or Mill Reef?

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 818

It is all subjective but I believe Treve was a better filly than Zarkava. She would not have beaten Sea Bird and I doubt she would have beaten Mill Reef.

harshthakor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

@Cork All Star

Would you place Sea Bird at the top?Any view on Dancing Brave compared to Mill Reef or Sea Bird?

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 715

Ribot was an outstanding racehorse and was also an outstanding stallion. Dancing Brave was not in that category at all and he had a parrot mouth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.