The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Home Forums Horse Racing Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Ok , I give in.

But it’s still not a metaphor :mrgreen:

Metaphor (unlike simile) is a major part of any language, taking many forms and working at many levels.

We know how deadly dull a computer’s language (or a robot’s) is, and that’s because they don’t have the imagination to use metaphor.

Whatever we say is riddled with it. And in saying that, I am using "riddled" of course metaphorically – you see, there’s no escape!

• Total Posts 980

I don’t really want a horse that jumps from fence to fence, I’d rather have one that runs between them.

I rather like the expression ‘the other day’ & I like the Irish version, ‘the last day’ but it could be confusing.

I tend to have my own language these days, most of it unprintable.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

I’d venture that ‘jumped from fence to fence’ is neither a metaphor nor a similie nor jargon, but is a Colloquialism

Metaphors are direct Subject-to-Object replacive exaggerations intended to amplify a feeling or deed

I felt

a million

dollars
    I was

over

the moon

Similies are essentially comparitive metaphors

I felt

a million dollars

Jargon is a private vocabulary of ‘new’ words

LOL
    FFS

‘he jumped from fence to fence’ – as I understand the phrase – is not intended to exaggerate the ability of a horse but to convey the message that it raced easily, comfortably and without mishap. As such it is colloquial understated shorthand

Or so I reckon :?

HTH :)

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Why is "jumped like a stag" a simile, yet your "slept like a log" a metaphor ?

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

As such it is colloquial understated shorthand

HTH :)

……and not a metaphor.

Glad we cleared that up :mrgreen:

Next up then –

"He’s in the van".

Now I think ‘vanguard’ may have been shortened here, but I’m prepared to be corrected.

Nicely.

• Total Posts 980

Because a stag is an actual thing that does jump. A log is also a thing but as it’s not alive, it’s incapable of sleeping.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

But he said that if it contains ‘like’ or ‘as’, it’s a simile.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Because a stag is an actual thing that does jump. A log is also a thing but as it’s not alive, it’s incapable of sleeping.

Spot on,

Anthony

. The same with "jumped from fence to fence" – a horse is not physically capable of doing this, so it is metaphorical.

But it is

also

, as

Drone

says, a colloquialism; and as Seasbird said, a cliché. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Not every comparison with "like" or "as" is a simile, but it’s a good rule of thumb to hold onto.

You have "In the van" bang to rights,

monksfield

. Now, for your bonus point, can you come up with the derivation of

"nailed on"

?

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

I know it’s supposed to represent a certainty, but all that springs to mind is "nailing colours to the mast". Am I close ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

neither a metaphor nor a

similie

nor jargon, but is a Colloquialism

Similies

are essentially comparitive metaphors

Drone,

Your rather-too-clever-clever-but-actually-slightly-incorrect post might have made a little more impact if you’d spelt

simile

correctly

oh dear :oops:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Jimmy Lindley, the former jockey and BBC pundit was fond of using the phrase:

he/she came up short

referring I think to the manner in which a horse who’s injured a leg during a race pulls up, though I’d welcome clarification

In general usage this phrase is used to describe someone who doesn’t do something correctly or up to his best

chicken or egg?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I know it’s supposed to represent a certainty, but all that springs to mind is "nailing colours to the mast". Am I close ?

Not too far off.

"Nailed on"

is thought to stem from the idea that the horse is such a certainly that you might as well nail its number to the results frame before the off. It goes back at least as far as the mid-19th century.

• Total Posts 80

A reasonable thread on which to ask a question about racingspeak.
    What is a cross fence, as in "the runners are coming to the cross fence" or the cross hurdle?
    I first hear Peter O’Sullevan using the expression many years ago.
    Further, does everybody else squirm when Aussie Jim McGrath keeps saying Choc or Chocolate Thornton?
    If I thought it would stop him,. I’d put my fist through the TV.
    It sounds stupid and juvenile and low-class, and I hope you read this, Jim.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

A cross fence, such as the one at Newbury is on the section of track between the straights, so jumped on a different angle to the other fences. I believe that everyone refers to Robert Thornton as "Choc", including his employer, so Aussie Jim’s use of the term is one of his less annoying traits.

• Total Posts 149

Hey, Pinza – get off your high horse!

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 411

A cross fence, such as the one at Newbury is on the section of track between the straights, so jumped on a different angle to the other fences. I believe that everyone refers to Robert Thornton as "Choc", including his employer, so Aussie Jim’s use of the term is one of his less annoying traits.

The one that annoys me is ‘posy’……….

Pegasus is ridden up to get a good ‘posy’

It sounds alien.

• Total Posts 45

great thread,like watching big bang.pinza is totally sheldon!

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.