The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Home Forums Horse Racing Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 65

I made the mistake of thinking that

monksfield

‘s thread was a genuine question, which I attempted to answer. I realise now that it was just a sneer (as the title of the thread suggested) which I ought to have ignored.

He wasn’t interested in discovering where the phrase came from. He already knew what it meant in general terms, as do you, Prat (assuming that was a signature to your post.) And if you didn’t, my post would have given you a clue.

When you say "I was over the moon", do you think that literally means you jumped it? When you say "I slept like a log", do you think that logs actually sleep, or that you are made of wood?

So when a horse "jumps from fence to fence", do you really think it is meant as a literal observation?

These, dear Prat, are examples of metaphor, which is what makes language, and our way of describing experience, the beautiful thing it is.

And if anyone is doing the "patronising", it’s

monksfield

, and

Pompete

and you, Prat. This poster was only trying to be helpful, and has had his hand bitten off as thanks.

No, from what i read when i opened the thread was someone asking a guinuene question. i felt your responce was both patronising and in poor taste. I totally understand what a methaphor is and how it make our language what it is.

I apologise for the use of the term ‘prat’, i did edit this but unfortunetely was too late.

I have nothing else to say on the mattter to be honest.

So i will close the door on the way out.

Have a nice day

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

May I recommend a relaxing bath with jasmine, lavender, rose hips and a little Tahitian vanilla?

You may indeed, but I’ve got a couple of deadlines to meet, so the Good Things of Life (lavender as much as linguistic beauty) must alas wait until my personal falange of houris and catamites arrive later this evening!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

No, from what i read when i opened the thread was someone asking a guinuene question. i felt your responce was both patronising and in poor taste. I totally understand what a methaphor is and how it make our language what it is.

I apologise for the use of the term ‘prat’, i did edit this but unfortunetely was too late.

My apologies too, OLAS – I thought ‘prat’ was your signature rather than a rudeness, and thank you for editing it out.

We will agree to differ on how genuinely

monksfield

was asking for information, which he got, and how far he was merely having a sneer at the expense of racing’s rich phraseology.

I really am at a loss to know, though, just why you (or anyone else) could have construed anything either "patronising" or "in poor taste" about my response, which was intended to be helpful, and to highlight the wonderful richness of the way we talk about this sport we love.

Sailing apart, Racing itself has contributed more metaphors to the language than any other activity. That seems to me something for celebration, not sneering.

• Total Posts 1402

One of my favourite expressions is ‘serving it up’ but I’m not sure from where that one originates.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

One of my favourite expressions is ‘serving it up’ but I’m not sure from where that one originates.

Hammond doesn’t have an entry on this, but I’d assume that tennis lies behind it ("serving up" having been used as far back as Henry VIII and Royal Tennis).

Alternatively, there’s always the kitchen sense of "piling the food high on the plate", but the tennis reference would fit much better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

I’m imagining you peering at your screen, smoking jacket and cigarette holder ahoy

my kinda guy :)

tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes

:? :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I can tolerate most of the racing speak; in fact, probably all – but I used to cringe slightly when I heard the expression – yes, he ( the horse in question ) won the "other day."

As it was saturday, I naturally assumed it was either Thursday or Wednesday John Oaksey ( for twas the good Lord who mostly used it :roll: ) was referrring to – but nay, he meant seven weeks ago. :)

But, the one that really takes the biscuit for me is Nicky Henderson. Not Mr. Henderson per se ; rather his annoying habit of referring to one of his horses as " a real nice person " or – " he’s actually a lovely person." :?

Nicky, come on, get a grip. It is an animal you speak of – albeit one you probably love to bits. :mrgreen:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

Hammond doesn’t have an entry on this, but I’d assume that tennis lies behind it ("serving up" having been used as far back as Henry VIII and Royal Tennis).

Alternatively, there’s always the kitchen sense of "piling the food high on the plate", but the tennis reference would fit much better.

I think you may find it has an entirely different connotation in parts of what is poetically known as Caledonia!

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I take "jumped from fence to fence" to refer to a horse really enjoying his job, comfortable in his rhythm and always ready for the next fence many strides away.

The opposite being the bumbling, fiddling characters who seem mystified when the next obstacle is approaching.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Wouldn’t it more accurate to describe a phrase such as ‘jumped from fence to fence’ as a

cliche

rather than a

metaphor

? 8)

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Wouldn’t it more accurate to describe a phrase such as ‘jumped from fence to fence’ as a

cliche

rather than a

metaphor

? 8)

Alas, the fate of all good metaphors. It must have been a great description when Captain Becher (or whoever) first used it, but I’d have to agree that time has taken a lot of the shine off it!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Thanks, The Young Fella……shame your post wasn’t the first reply to what was a genuine question.

Pinza, I’m sorry but there’s definitely a whiff of condescension about your first (and subsequent) posts. You made me feel ashamed that I shouldn’t know such a thing! Read it again, see if you can see where I’m coming from. I’ll ignore your rather pathetic asides, congratulate you on your no doubt worthy work (entirely irrelevant here of course), and invite you to look up the word ‘metaphor’, because ‘jumping from fence to fence’ sure as hell isn’t one.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thanks, The Young Fella……shame your post wasn’t the first reply to what was a genuine question.

Pinza, I’m sorry but there’s definitely a whiff of condescension about your first (and subsequent) posts. You made me feel ashamed that I shouldn’t know such a thing! Read it again, see if you can see where I’m coming from. I’ll ignore your rather pathetic asides, congratulate you on your no doubt worthy work (entirely irrelevant here of course), and invite you to look up the word ‘metaphor’, because ‘jumping from fence to fence’ sure as hell isn’t one.

The Young Fella:

"a horse really enjoying his job, comfortable in his rhythm and always ready for the next fence many strides away."

Pinza:

"the horse jumped with enthusiasm and expertise"

Well not much difference there, then. And no "condescension" either that I can see. So you had a sensible answer straight away, though you chose to ignore it and take a pop at the poster instead. I prefer

The Young Fella

‘s more considered version too.

This wretched "condescension" is like mud in the eye of the beholder. It clouds the sight. And your "question" did not seem to me on reflection genuine, but rather a thinly disguised sneer at another colourful racing cliché. Otherwise why title the thread

"impenetrable racing speak"

? I tried to suggest in a good-humoured way that the colour was part of the appeal.

You think such language is "impenetrable" and (doubtless) "elitist" – I find your attitude equally clannish, and believe that if anyone is being "condescending" here it’s

you

, by making unpleasant, snide remarks about a person who feels differently about these things, and about whom you make far too many assumptions, all of which happen to be wrong.

As for "metaphor", unless you think that the phrase is literally true, then metaphor is precisely what our phrase is. Comparative description in metaphor is

implicit

(similes are the

explicit

comparisons); so in describing a horse as a creature jumping from one obstacle to another (evoking images of agile animals such as squirrels which jump whilst hardly touching the ground) what we have is a paradigm case of poetic metaphor.

Doubtless I should have risen above it, but I was very offended by your unkind response to my well-meant post, read after a gruelling and demanding evening’s work, and emotional blackmail was not my aim – though I apologise if it made you feel guilty.

Really, you know, there are more important things in life (and on this Forum) to think about, so I hope there’s an end to it. But do not expect me to take cheap flak where it’s unjustified.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

tenet insanabile multos scribendi cacoethes

Ah Drone, thou speakest sooth! In my case, the compulsion’s best followed if I want bread (or better,

focaccia

and

foie gras

) on my (French-polished) table.

And how pleasant to be reminded about the Derby third in Nashwan’s glorious year. A huge brute, who never quite achieved his potential.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

"Jumped like a stag" is a metaphor. There’s comparison and evocation there, and even someone like me can understand it. Y’see, I’ve never actually

seen

a stag jump, but I get the picture.

"Jumped from fence to fence" is racing jargon. It’s not used anywhere else and is too literal to be metaphorical

because it’s what actually happens.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

"Jumped like a stag" is a metaphor. There’s comparison and evocation there, and even someone like me can understand it. Y’see, I’ve never actually

seen

a stag jump, but I get the picture.

"Jumped from fence to fence" is racing jargon. It’s not used anywhere else and is too literal to be metaphorical

because it’s what actually happens.

No. "Jumped like a stag" is a simile.

The horse, as you said quite rightly in your first post, does not literally jump from fence to fence. It is not

what actually happens

. It conjures an

implicit

comparative image such as I’ve described of an agile creature hardly touching the ground. That is metaphorical use of language, and it’s the basis of poetry as well as much journalism.

To go back to an example I used earlier in this thread, "I was over the moon" – that is metaphor, because you didn’t actually jump over the moon. There is no need, in metaphor, to make a

direct

comparison with anything.

Similes and Metaphors

To quote

primaryresources.co.uk

:

A metaphor also compares two things, but it does so more directly WITHOUT using as or like. Eg. The shop was a little gold-mine."

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Ok , I give in.

But it’s still not a metaphor :mrgreen:

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.