The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Home Forums Horse Racing Impenetrable racing speak, part 1 –

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

"He jumped from fence to fence".

What exactly does that mean ?

What other way is there ?

Somebody please explain ??

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I find the phrase poetic and evocative. It’s obvious what it means – i.e. that the horse jumped with enthusiasm and expertise – and says much more than many more literal remarks.

If you start taking metaphors out of the language, you won’t be left with much, believe me!

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Well, thanks for that !

Can’t remember if I’ve ever been more patronised.

I’m imagining you peering at your screen, smoking jacket and cigarette holder ahoy……what an oik I am, eh ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I’m sure there is a term something like "went to the office"? That’s odd.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

Give ‘im the office, is the expression you are looking for.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    • Total Posts 638

One that has become universal in just the last few months I think is…"till he just got tired"
    As in …"he went really well all the way till he just got tired after the second last".

Yes but why did he get tired?…seems to me this phrase is used in a blanket nature to cover any of the following (this list is not exhaustive)

He cant run very fast
    He isn’t very good
    We got the tactics all wrong
    He wasn’t very fit
    He was outclassed
    We weren’t trying
    Jockey went too fast
    I have no idea why he got beat so far

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

That’s it – thanks. Still its unusual to be using a word like office in racing :?:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well, thanks for that !

Can’t remember if I’ve ever been more patronised.

I’m imagining you peering at your screen, smoking jacket and cigarette holder ahoy……what an oik I am, eh ?

I’m curious as to why you feel "patronised",

monksfield

You asked a question, and I gave you an answer – my answer. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to agree with it. But please don’t accuse me of "patronising" you or anyone else, unless you can explain what you mean.

You may well be an oik (your rudeness rather suggests you might be) but that is quite beside the point.

And this evening I’ve actually been working rather hard with some cancer doctors, to try and improve how things work in the NHS, so you can keep your stereotyped guff about anyone who dares to use words of more than one syllable to yourself. You might have been lazing around, but I have not.

As you can see, your rude reply to my well-meant answer has thoroughly cheesed me off. I hope you don’t speak to everyone like that. And I won’t be addressing your mails in a hurry again.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

That’s it – thanks. Still its unusual to be using a word like office in racing :?:

Interesting, though. It’s using "office" in an older 19th c. sense, slang for "gave him a hint". "Office" is being used in its original sense of "duty" rather than the modern one of "place of work".

(I fear poor

monksfield

will feel patronised by this explanation, from Gerald Hammond’s "Horse Racing", as it contains a word of three syllables.)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

No it don’t, it means; slap ‘im on the arse with a policeman’s truncheon!

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    • Total Posts 2390

Well, thanks for that !

..and so you should be.

Pinza is well in the habit of telling other poster what they can and can’t post, where they can and can’t post and generally being a bore with his/hers continue references to Greek philosophy and non-revisionist very of history.

And, long may he/her continue keeping oiks like us in our place :mrgreen:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Pinza is well in the habit of telling other poster what they can and can’t post, where they can and can’t post and generally being a bore with his/hers continue references to Greek philosophy and non-revisionist very of history.

And, long may he/her continue keeping oiks like us in our place

I don’t know why you feel you must compound

monksfield

‘s rudeness with a personal attack which is both hurtful and (more to the point) untrue. Your own posts I often find illuminating, and so I’m sorry that I can’t return your compliment.

If you or anyone else finds the history of racing, or the roots of some of its more interesting verbal expressions a bore, why not just leave threads such as this to those people who

are

interested? It’s doubtless amusing to sneer from the sidelines, but otherwise your post here is of no utility.

Why some people on this Forum like to describe themselves as "oiks" I do not know – but if you feel the cap fits, then go ahead and wear it. And don’t expect this working class mandarin to apologise for using words such as "metaphor", or being interested in how they work.

Participant
    • Total Posts 65

I find the phrase poetic and evocative. It’s obvious what it means – i.e. that the horse jumped with enthusiasm and expertise – and says much more than many more literal remarks.

If you start taking metaphors out of the language, you won’t be left with much, believe me!

Well i didn’t find it ‘obvious’ either and i can understand why ‘The Monk’ would feel slightly patronised by your own ‘rude’ responce.

I haven’t been around the racing game for too long myself and there are many phraes that i dont understand or find ‘obvious’ as you put it. If i didnt understand something then a racing forum would apppear the best place to find out a reasonable explaination.

Lastly, i dont think Monks initial question ever stated anything about taking metaphors out of the language…..

• Total Posts 1402

Good Lord! It’s like Christmas in the Gambino household!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I made the mistake of thinking that

monksfield

‘s thread was a genuine question, which I attempted to answer. I realise now that it was just a sneer (as the title of the thread suggested) which I ought to have ignored.

He wasn’t interested in discovering where the phrase came from. He already knew what it meant in general terms, as do you, Prat (assuming that was a signature to your post.) And if you didn’t, my post would have given you a clue.

When you say "I was over the moon", do you think that literally means you jumped it? When you say "I slept like a log", do you think that logs actually sleep, or that you are made of wood?

So when a horse "jumps from fence to fence", do you really think it is meant as a literal observation?

These, dear Prat, are examples of metaphor, which is what makes language, and our way of describing experience, the beautiful thing it is.

And if anyone is doing the "patronising", it’s

monksfield

, and

Pompete

and you, Prat. This poster was only trying to be helpful, and has had his hand bitten off as thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Just now I feel I could use a sub-machine gun! Just to clarify, my reply was to OLAS (Prat) and not to you, Tuffers.

• Total Posts 1402

Just now I feel I could use a sub-machine gun! Just to clarify, my reply was to OLAS (Prat) and not to you, Tuffers.

May I recommend a relaxing bath with jasmine, lavender, rose hips and a little Tahitian vanilla?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.