The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Members Thread

Home Forums Lounge New Members Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 492 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’m absolutely delighted to introduce everyone to another young person looking to make their way in racing who’ll be joining us to help out at TRF.

<b>Iain Jozefowicz</b> joins Jack Milner and Alexander Haig.

Iain (whose TRF username is Jozza65) is already off to a flying start and has been beavering away in the ‘Horses’ section of the site setting up pages for many of next week’s Royal Ascot contenders (remember you can go to those pages and add your own comments, facts and pictures).

Iain is also at York today and will be tweeting news and paddock picks to our Twitter and facebook accounts (we’re @theracinforum on Twitter but you can also follow these on the TRF itself by looking at the Twitter feed bottom right).

I’d like to give Iain a very warm welcome and hope that his time at TRF is useful to him for the future.

We’re always looking for eager hands to help out at TRF so please get in touch if yoou have an interest in racing and have some time available.

Here’s a brief biog which Iain sent through to us by way of introduction.

<i>”Well im 21 years old currently living in Pocklington, East Yorkshire. This summer I will be graduating from Northumbria University where I expect to receive BA honours in Journalism. I’m temporary employed as a tyre wholsesaler for Bond International who currently own around 20 racehorses, which is where my horse racing interest initially started. They own a box at York racecourse and frequently sponsor at Beverley and York races, both of which I attend frequently. I write for <!– m –>http://www.sportingpicks.co.uk<!– m –> and also conduct research into the stallion entries for ex-‘Bond’ horses who are now at stud.”</i>

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Great start by Iain who tipped 3 winners from 6 selections at York today, including 8/1 winner Confront.

Participant
    • Total Posts 861

Test from Android
    Nnnn

Powered by Linux

• Total Posts 2

I’m a noob in this forum. I’m browsing this forum for a while now. Is there any post regarding handicapping tips? :?

• Total Posts 3

I’m a noob in this forum. I’m browsing this forum for a while now. Is there any post regarding handicapping tips?

Me too, but you could check this site for interest. It’s for Aussie racing though… puntips

• Total Posts 3

Hi Guys

…surfing a little and came across your site and registered.

I don’t know much about English Racing as I am in Australia. (I did live in the area of Devon for one year in 1978 I think it was – my Father was in the Navy and we were there for a bit). Went to school during that time and I think it was a place called Ivybridge.

Anyway, big racing fan over here with many contacts and interests – if any of you guys need any info from this part of the world let me know and I’ll try and help out.

Perhaps the ‘quick contact’ is the best way to get hold of me.

Keep up the good work
    Cheers

justamonkey
    • Total Posts 1

Hello everybody.

My name is Miles from Manchester. I’m 16 years old and I’ve been into racing since my dad introduced me to it a year ago. Really enjoy the sport and happy to be part of the community.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hello all, my name is Kurt and I live in the Sierra foothill region of California. I go by the name of lastword here. Let me assure you that is meant more for my knowledge rather than my stubborness in a discussion lol. Although I am pretty stubborn. What i’m trying to say is I have always been quite confident with my own game and prefer to ignore all other opinion. It’s how I best function playing. For me that also means no use of Timeforms or Beyers, Tomlinsons and all the sheet gabage IMO. I do my own weighing and measuring of horseflesh. My speed figs are my own creation.
    I was brought into the game at age 5, taken to the Big A by two fanatics quite often. Both my dad and uncle RIP lived close by in Brooklyn NY and by age 12 I was well beyond what Tiger Woods was in his youth. I put in DOUBLE the time that he did on my craft. I was labeled The Kid then and once gave John Gotti a winner. Talk about pressure lol. He wasn’t big gun yet at that time but was known. He handed a 15 year old kid a crisp $100 bill for my trouble. A nice amount then.
    Kids in my school would be talking Mickey Mantle and i’d be talking Kelso and Buckpasser. No I am not bragging here nor full of myself. I am just telling all where I come from when I opine.

I have never taken a back seat to another handicapper nor do I compete with any as I said earlier. I play my game in silence and choose my races wisely. I am a patient handicapper who is also not greedy. I am a W/P bettor basicly and double down bets in the Place hole 90% of the time.
    If i’m rolling I reverse and half in the Place hole. It’s that simple. I live at the wire. Thats my zip code. I have never played an exotic bet unless I earned that right. Gotten ahead for the day and was playing with their money. When I get the opportunity to swing for the seats I don’t hesitate to pull the trigger. I am still well into the black after 40 + years of play and keep a record of every wager. Taught to me early by the men.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself and I hope to get to know most of you. I may be full of myself at times but that is just how it works for me. My bark is way bigger than my bite lol. I just know what I know and take a back seat to no one. Of course I enjoy debate and the exchange of knowledge. I am learning every day too. You have to in this game.
    I am a sponge and have stolen from the best, tweaking and incorporating elements of their games into my system. I know i’lol get alot of help here with my Euro game which I could use :?
    I also love to engage and know how to say that "we can agree to disagree". Respect is always given and hopefully returned.
    I invite you all to visit the American Racing section where I will hopefully try to make relevant here. It’s a little quiet there now. I have always willingly shared and exchanged and look foward to seeing you all in the trenches. :roll: GL to all

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Welcome,

To all our new members.

Regards
    :cool:

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

Hello all.

I’ve been lurking on here for sometime before joining. I am a huge racing fan although would not call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I hope to join in the debates as it’s really interesting to hear others opinions even if they differ from my own. I’m not really a betting man nowadays just into the sport. I wrote the following for another forum (non racing) as an introduction on a sports betting section. It may be a bit long but hope it gves an insight to me.

Ever since I was a child I have had an interest in gambling of some kind. At school I used to organise jumping bean races and acted as the bookmaker. I would buy a tube of five jumping beans. These were real Mexican jumping beans which were a small nut shaped object with a live worm of some kind inside. If you shone a light or heated them up they would move. On a sheet of paper I drew to a small circle in the middle and a larger one on the outside. Each bean was marked with a different colour. I placed them within the small circle and shone a light on them. The first bean to reach the outside circle was the winner. I used to take bets on which one would reach the outside first. I made a bit of extra pocket money this way, particularly from one of the richer kids who
    insisted on betting ten pence each time on the worse bean. Ten pence was a lot of money when your pocket money was just forty pence per week. This must have been around 1976 0r 1977 and I was 14 or 15 at the time.

As a child and a young man starting work I had no real interest in Horse Racing as such although, even as schoolboy I like everyone in the country had heard of Red Rum and his trainer Ginger McCain, the greatest Grand National horse in history who, in a five year period between 1973 and 1977, won the National 3 times and came second twice. Rummy was stabled behind McCain’s used car lot in Southport and trained on the beach. He was a real celebrity who opened supermarkets, appeared on Sports Personality of the Year, you could even buy posters of him. He was the Cheryl Cole of the seventies and would almost certainly been an X factor judge had Simon Cowel been around at the time.

At the age of 21 one day changed my life. Tuesday 5th April 1983. The Grand national was due to be run on the Saturday. I knew nothing about the sport but as usual fancied a bet on the race. On the Tuesday I
    was in my local newsagent in Fishponds in Bristol and saw a publication on the stand called Racing and Football Outlook. This was a weekly publication which gave tips and write ups on racing and football betting,
    the football betting was mainly the pools which most people did then, and enabled you to win huge amounts for a small outlay if you could predict eight score draws. This was of course before the lottery started in the mid nineties. The headline in RFO was for a horse called Corbiere to win the National. On the Saturday I duly placed my bet on Corbiere in the local Joe Coral shop. Of couse Corbiere galloped into history, winning at 13/1 and become the first horse trained by a woman to win the race.
    From that day I was hooked on racing.

I was a postman at the time and used to spend most of my afternoons in Corals, even when I was on afternoon driving duties I used to spend my time between each letter collection in Corals which was convieniently located next door to the Fishponds delivery office. I straight away started to buy both the Sporting Life and Sporting Chronicle on a daily basis, within weeks I was also getting the Handicap book ( now Raceform Update) weekly and also spending a fortune on Timeform publications.

Betting shops in those days were nothing like now. Windows weren’t allowed nor were televisions or even refreshments. The government were determined to make them places people wouldn’t want to visit. You had to listen to the races on the blower and the results and betting shows were written on a huge white board behind the counter by the mark up man as they were announced on the blower. They were dark, dirty horrible
    places populated mainly by old men with fags hanging out of their mouth but, I loved it.

I used to spend every minute I could watching racing on BBC and ITV and dreamed of winning the ITV Seven, a bet where you had to predict the winners of the seven races shown by ITV on a Saturday. My second year in racing was difficult and I had to record a lot of the racing as on saturday afternoons I used to watch the racing til about 2.30 before rushing down to watch Bristol Rovers at Eastville just a mile down the road from my flat. I used to go home after the football, watch the racing I had recorded, before returning to Eastville for the evening Greyhounds.

Being April the Jumps season was coming to an end, there was no summer jumping then nor winter flat racing, the year was clearly divided to Jumps in winter and flat in summer. So my first real interest was in flat racing. The first flat race I took a real interest in was the William Hill Lincoln which was won by Mighty Fly and ridden by American jockey Steve Cauthen, who soon became my first racing hero.

My first vist to a racecourse was the King George and Queen Elizabeth Diamond stakes at Ascot at the end of July 1983. I had got a voucher from the Daily Mirror for cheap entry. I backed Time Charter who duly won the big race. I was well and truly hooked by then. I used to swop shifts at work so I could work mornings and dash to Bath races and, the next winter, to Chepstow and of course Cheltenham. In 1985 I became a junior member at Cheltenham and have been a member ever since.

For the first few years my main interest was in Flat racing and I went to my first Derby in 1984 and managed to back Secreto to win at 14/1. I was now starting to do quite well and making a small profit from my betting although, of course I backed many losers but was learning all the time.

There was of course no such thing as the Internet at this time, we didn’t have PC’s at work , let alone at home, and all of my racing information had to come from books and papers. The papers were full of advertisments from racing tipsters and I decided to have a go myself. I placed an advert in a racing publication and got a dozen or so people who subscibed to my tips which I sent out by post for the weekend racing. I managed to make a small profit for subscribers over the time I did this. I called myself
    Turfguide. This was quite hard work and I decided not to continue. I did however, attempt to write my own monthly racing publication, which included speed ratings, write up’s and I even managed to get the well known Bristol trainer Richard Holder to do an interview where he took me on a tour of his stables and I wrote up on his horses. I did the first issue and sent a copy to the leading Racing journalist Brough Scott for his views. He wrote me a lovely letter back saying how much he liked it. He even suggested i write to the Sporting Life and Timeform for jobs. He even said I could mention his name. He asked me to introduce myself to him when next at the racecourse, this I did and met him at Epsom.

I was now totally absorbed in racing and every spare minute I was reading about and studying it. Everything from the betting to the breeding. From 1985 my summer holiday involved going to the York Ebor meeting on the Tuesday, wednesday and Thursday, followed by a rush down to Goodwood for the Friday and Saturday.

As time went on I became more interested in the Jumps and to this day that remains my main interest. Cheltenham is my mecca and the March festival meeting is, to me, the best four days sport in the world. I have had some fantastic days there. Highlights being Dawn Run win the Gold Cup in 1986 and of course the great Dessert Orchid winning in 1989, a day made even better by managing to back Ikdam trained by Richard Holder to win the Triumph Hurdle, I bet him on the tote and he won at 143/1. My favourite moment though has to be Denman winning the Gold Cup in 2008. My favourite horse of all time.

In 1991 my racing interests were curtailed when I went on a world tour. I still managed to visit racecourses in Singapore and New Zealand and also made it to the Melbourne Cup, Australias biggest race. I even remember listening to the Cheltenham Gold Cup on the world service in the middle of the night. This is the only time I have missed Cheltenham since 1985.

When I came back in 1992 my racing became less of an obsession but is still my main passion in life. I don’t go racing as much I was would like now but wouldn’t miss Cheltenham for the world.

My main interest is now in Racing as a sport rather then as a betting medium. I could quite happily never have another bet but would still love the sport.

• Total Posts 10

Have been away for a longgggg time as have been scooting around the world, but as I might stand still for a week or so thought I’d pop in and say G’day………I couldn’t work my last login so I started afresh! :D
    Itsme…………guess who? 8) :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31

New here as well. I’ve been looking for a decent forum since the BBC 606 site was closed down, and this one looked good.

I’m pretty new to horse racing (the last 2 years) but have become completely hooked over that time. I much prefer the National Hunt season to the Flat – reasons being that I prefer the way a race can evolve over the jumps and there is so much more going on. Also, I loathe the hot weather and wearing smart clothes – so although my wife goes to Royal Ascot every year I avoid it at all costs. The idea of sweltering whilst being dressed up in a morning suit fills me with horror! Bring on a frosty morning with a nice warm coat and cap followed by a bracing afternoon of jumps racing anyday.

The fact that I can’t pick a winner on the Flat but have been quite successful over the jumps has nothing to do with it………… :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Have been away for a longgggg time as have been scooting around the world, but as I might stand still for a week or so thought I’d pop in and say G’day………I couldn’t work my last login so I started afresh! :D

MDeering
    Kingston Town
    Jim JTS
    Andrew Hughes
    Fist
    Gerald
    Grasshopper
    Gamble
    Zamorston
    Ken West Derby
    Conundrum

Close…………?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

MDeering
    Kingston Town
    Jim JTS
    Andrew Hughes
    Fist
    Gerald
    Grasshopper
    Gamble
    Zamorston
    Ken West Derby
    Conundrum

Close…………?

How many guesses do you want! :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

For now, 11………. :wink:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 10

Hee hee you only needed 2 :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Welcome back, hun! Sure there must be a Dorsetshire Point with both our names on it this coming winter (even though I’ve moved up to Yorkshire since last we spoke)… :)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 492 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.