The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

New Members Thread

Home Forums Lounge New Members Thread

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 492 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 7

Hello everyone.

My name is Ben, and I come from North Yorkshire. I’m 19 years old so have a lot to learn, but have loved racing from the first step on a racecourse. It’s a great area to live in with lots of local courses, with Ripon and Wetherby the two tracks I’ve been to most – though I love York and Doncaster. Have also been to Catterick, Thirsk, Beverley, and Aintree – for the 2009 Grand National.

I haven’t been as much recently since my Grandad died in 2009, and my Dad is now terminally ill, so both people I would go with, I can’t anymore. Looking forward to going to Doncaster in late April with some friends, though!

I’ve watched racing for years on the telly, too, and just find it a fantastic sport.

My favourite performances for different reasons are Motivator’s success in the 2005 Derby, Denman’s Hennessy wins, Workforce’s Derby win, and the performance responsible for my username on here :wink:

I had only been regularly watching racing for a short time before Indian Ink quickened away to thrash the opposition in the Coronation Stakes at Ascot. It remains a personal favourite – even if not one of the first races to spring to mind in many people’s heads!

Obviously it’s limited as I wasn’t around, or old enough, to see some of the older greats. Have watched some videos though and seeing horses such as Shergar is pretty breathtaking.

I don’t really have much of a preference between national hunt racing, and the flat, though usually I prefer the season that is upcoming! The Cheltenham Festival is comfortably my favourite week of racing, though. The rest of the jumps season can be a bit indifferent for me, sometimes, though, as everything is geared towards that one week in March.

My favourite horse currently in training is Time For Rupert, who I fell in love with when it showed guts to repel Inchidaly Rock, and then won a big handicap hurdle at Cheltenham having been under pressure for a long way. Knew it would become a top-class chaser, and I was gutted when it bled in the RSA. Ran a game race under the circumstances in the end, and hopefully he can gain some compensation next year!

Sorry for going on a bit, but there you go…like I say, still have a lot to learn, but ever willing to do so, and hope I can contribute something to the site :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 861

Well done, SS…Hope you were on Always Waining on the Topham :D

Thanks Steve.. I’ll check out that thread.

I plan to try study some stats/trends from the last number
    of festivals with the view to catching a forecat/tricast or two!
    I have ordered the Aintree Festival Guide from Weatherbys and
    hope this will help me turn a profit on my trip.

have you had much luck doing this… your methods of selection?

Have high hopes Roll Along and Always Waining will run nice races
    in the National.

Thanks,
    Stephen.

Powered by Linux

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Hope enough people dodged the bullet with Cedrus Libani the other day. What a filthy creature he is proving to be at present.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 3

Hi everyone….finally looks like i’ve found a proper forum with the potential for no-bull horse racing chat.Looking forward to debating the up coming flat season and sharing knowledge alike….i’m having a bad run of things at the mo and doing no better than breaking evens so i’m hoping the flat season will bring better luck lol.Just a quick note on the ‘Greenham’ saturday…2months ago R.Hannon was asked about his classic contenders & could not enthuse enough about ‘Strong Suit’ how he’s developed both mentally & physically and how much he’s exciting everyone….are we in for a turn up i wonder?
    Cheers all Andy.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

This reminded me Jeremy that I haven’t dealt with the issue you were having appending comments to articles.
    Sorry, I’ll put it on the list.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Welcome to the forum IndianIknk and Spandau. I look forward to seeing you post a few comments. Why not have a go at one of teh competitions, the Bob Rolf 4PP is a great competition every Saturday.

Let me know if any queries on the forum all you newcomers. Happy to help.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16961

Hi
    I love horses, racing and delving into the pedigrees of the horses that win top races and smaller events. Living close to Newmarket I’m hoping to be cheering Frankel home on Saturday and visit the course as much as I can, especially love the July Meeting and the all Grey horse race held around August every year.
    Hoping some of my friends from another site which wasn’t so user friendly will be along soon and looking forward to making new friends too.
    Jacqui :D :wink: x

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16961

Forgot to mention my Avatar is New Approach, photo taken at Daleham Hall Stud where he currently stands, just after he had won the Derby. Also standing at the time were Manduro, Dubai Destination, Dubawi, Halling and Singspiel (now sadly departed). The stud went out of their way to make sure we saw all the stallions and of them all Halling was the sweetest, we almost got left behind with him as he was enjoying having his nose tickled.lol :wink:
    Looking forward to the new flat season and hoping to find lots of winners.
    Jac :D

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    • Total Posts 3

Evening everyone,

Just found this forum now and to say i’m in heaven is an understatement! I’m an avid user of a horse racing sub-forum which sadly isn’t very active with only a few regular posters.

Delighted to have found this site and i’m sure you will be seeing a lot of me over the coming weeks, Months and hopefully years.

My knowledge of horse racing is quite limited as i only got into the sport properly since 2009 but everyday i read up on past horses and of their achievements and such. I got into horse racing through my father all that was ever on television in our house when i lived there was horse racing!

Well that’s me :)

dess
    • Total Posts 195

thanks for your email cormack15 im desss and new to this site but not new to horse racing still finding my way round here so here goes .

• Total Posts 447

Hey everyone,

Just arrived on account of the impending closure of BBC 606. Slightly feel like I am in a massive group therapy session right now!

ANyway, absolutely love racing and been lucky enough to be around these noble creatures my whole life. Interest begin in NH but has crystallised in recent years on the flat, a particular favourite of mine being Sea The Stars. (I admit I shed a tear when he won the Arc!)

Just hoping to have some good old fashioned racing debate/discussion and look forward to hearing peoples opinions.

Regards

Admiral

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Welcome to all you newcomers. Hope you enjoy the site and please let me know if any problems at any time.

david@theracingforum.co.uk

Madeleine
    • Total Posts 1

Hi from Berlin but just for some weeks :)
    Hope to be back London soon! :D

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’m delighted to welcome another newcomer to the TRF roster.

<b>Alex Haig</b> will be contributing weekly articles highlighting eye-catching performances. We’ll publish these in the Features section of the site (first one in there now).

Alex is just about to finish a BA in Management and Marketing at Hull University. He has worked part-time in Ladbrokes for the last 5 years while studying and also runs his own site <!– w –>http://www.sportingpicks.co.uk<!– w –>.

Alex has also been involved in the Racing For Change students initiatives, taking groups of students to Newcastle, Beverley and Doncaster and also participating in the ownership of the Love The Races ‘students’ horse Tae Kwon Doe.

Alex is looking to gain some writing experience/exposure and we’re delighted to have him on board. I’m sure everyone will support Alex in the same way that you’ve supported Adam (now with Timeform) and Jack (who is still with us and will continue his bi-weekly tipping pieces) in the past.

David

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Whereabouts on the site please?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Sorry Kopwas – Alex’s first article here –

http://www.theracingforum.co.uk/horse-racing-features/

It’s teh one called ’30 yards out,’ etc

aitchntess
    • Total Posts 1

hi – new to this forum and wish you all well – I came across this site while looking for info about betting bots – I want to back certain horses at certain prices before off and then lay in running but not to green up across board – had a look at bet angle but complicated excel formulas needed and beyond me.

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 492 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.