The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

If You Were The Chairman of the Horseracing

Home Forums Horse Racing If You Were The Chairman of the Horseracing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    naps
    • Total Posts 159

Board and you were given a 100m pound donation to improve the state of the UK horse racing industry as a whole (Flat & NH) how would you utilise these funds? How much would you use to improve prize money, PR, wages of those within the industry etc?

There are many areas where racing as a whole needs to improve in the UK and was curious as to where most people would focus their investment, taking into account that you also want to attract crowds that will allow courses to be in a position to fund improvements etc.

(Edited by naps at 1:24 pm on April 21, 2007)

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i would ring fence 1 million

the rest would be split between nh, flat, aw,  according to races run per code and it would be used to stage more meetings and races

the ring fenced 1 million would be used to install some tea, burger, curry and pastie vans at lingfield because they cannot provide adequate facilities for tea and food to save their lives, useless gits … the closing of frankies bar and removal of the tea urn and soup bucket is one of this centuries worst racing disasters

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Put it all towards prize money.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

30% on prize money.<br>20% to reduce admission charges.<br>20% to stable staff and jockeys.<br>10% for further training of the above.<br>10% for welfare of horses once retired.<br>10% for a no frills, free viewing of live racing, website.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2676

I would launder it through on-course bookies at Southwell and Wolverhampton (see other thread) before legging it to the Cayman Islands. :cool:

They’d never find me.

Mike

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

I would put it all towards prize money.

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Quote: from Nor1 on 4:55 pm on April 21, 2007[br]30% on prize money.<br>20% to reduce admission charges.<br>20% to stable staff and jockeys.<br>10% for further training of the above.<br>10% for welfare of horses once retired.<br>10% for a no frills, free viewing of live racing, website.<br>

Perfect!!

The idea of putting it towards staging more races and meets is ludicrous. It would simply mean more lower class races which, unfortunately for lower class horses and their connections, no-one really wants to spend their money on. For proof of this see the demise of banded racing.

There is so much in racing that could be improved but I think we do a pretty damn good job of most things already.

I would, however, like to see lower admissions prices for the average punter just to encourage more people to come racing for a fun day out without it costing the earth and hopefully allow them to be converted into enthusiasts.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

Quote: from lekha85 on 10:34 pm on April 21, 2007

For proof of this see the demise of banded racing.

Has banded racing died lekha85? I thought it had just been integrated into normal meetings although to look at some of the all weather meetings at Kempton & Co since banded racing "ceased" it was hard to tell the difference.

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

1. Open new central tracks in London, Birmingham and Manchester

2. Free TV / internet channel of all UK racing

3. Boookmakers paid an attendance fee plus free refreshments

4. Own UK racing exchange

5. One single body for racing to include at least 50% punter interest representatives.

6. All tracks regularly surveyed for distance, gradients, drainage etc

7. Sectional timing from all tracks – horse weighing all tracks – data free to UK racing exchange users

8. Annual draw for 10 completely new owners to be provided with a good class horse and a year’s training fees

9. Stable staff annual awards with good prizemoney, media publicity, further training courses etc

10. UK racing forum to give communication access to all trainers, clerks, racing administrators etc.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

lekha85<br>You have misunderstood. The increase in prize money would not be used towards staging more racing. <br>It would be used for existing races in the hope it would encourage quality and discourage cheating.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5141

Excellent post Robert though I’d disagree with 1) preferring to see the money thrown at existing tracks in order to safeguard their future and allowing them to flourish.

The character and wild diversity of British racecourses is something we should be proud of and be wholly cherished.

I’d also add that say 5% of the fund should be used for the establishment of more ‘rehabilitation’ centres to ensure that the burgeoning population of retired racehorses enjoy a comfortable life ‘out to grass’ or through discretionary grants to owners who – financially or otherwise – find it a problem ‘knowing what to do’ with their old gelding.

And first and foremost the money would remain securely trousered until a set-in-stone decision was agreed to freeze an already grossly inflated fixture list in perpetuity.

(Edited by Drone at 10:13 am on April 22, 2007)

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

Quote: from robert99 on 12:15 am on April 22, 2007[br]

2. Free TV / internet channel of all UK racing

3. Boookmakers paid an attendance fee plus free refreshments

4. Own UK racing exchange

<br>

I like your no 2 and no 4 robert and they’ve been talked about before but I think greed could preclude no 2 and it may be a bit too late for no 4 but who knows. I don’t like the sound of no 3 at all.

(Edited by yeats at 10:22 am on April 22, 2007)

lekha85
    Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Quote: from Nor1 on 9:45 am on April 22, 2007[br]lekha85<br>You have misunderstood. The increase in prize money would not be used towards staging more racing. <br>It would be used for existing races in the hope it would encourage quality and discourage cheating.<br>

I wasn’t referring to your post but to sberry’s…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.