The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

If you could go back in time….

Home Forums Horse Racing If you could go back in time….

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

thanks grayson for GALLIC PRINCE, yep, does bring back memories.
    i was only 17 when it won, and can remember asking a bloke go and collect my winnings for me incase the bookie asked for i.d. :lol:

trackside528
    • Total Posts 137

Secretariat’s Belmont…

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"Henry Bell owned and trained, J L Goulding rode"

Cheers, Jeremy, I’d forgotten all about the Gouldings, that was John and he has/had a brother David, both very quiet and stylish riders, wasn’t David known by some as "Gypsy".

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

No worries, Colin! Henry Bell will always be remembered for two things in my mind – one the Scottish National win, the other training a horse rejoicing under the fantastic name of Hellcatmudwrestler.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

lorddenning
    • Total Posts 39

I have always liked Sandown for the viewing so Arkle’s 1965 Gallagher win would be first. Nijinsky winning the Leger is second. Makybe Diva winning the Melbourne Cup for the third time is third (if allowed!).

• Total Posts 108

Dawn Run’s Gold Cup – I fill up when I watch replays, so I’d be fit for taking away if I’d seen it in the flesh.

And if I’m allowed a sneaky extra one from the Flat – the 1978 Belmont Stakes. Affirmed and Alydar going head-to-head from about a mile out, with Affirmed just out-battling his great rival to become the last American Triple Crown winner.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

I`m a bit hazy on the memory but I`d love to see Grand Canyon (NZ) galloping a good field of chasers into the ground at Ascot in the late `70s ( might have been the SGB chase). Approaching threatened to make a race of it from about Swinley Bottom but Grand Canyon pulled majestically clear again.As usual with these things I think he finished lame.

That said there`s so many – I`d love another look at I`m a Driver and I found the Haydock victories of Twin Oaks in his GW Richards trained revival very stirring too.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Remittance Man’s Champion Chase

Dato Star’s Champion Bumper

Montelado’s Supreme Novices

If pushed for one, then Remittance Man.

Alchemist
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Obviously not as far back as some of the others mentioned here, but the Tingle Creek in ’04 will do nicely for me.

absolution
    • Total Posts 214

Showing my age but Hill House’s 12 length winner of the 1967 schweppes will always be imprinted in my memory – after a lengthy court case it turned out he produced his own cortesone and drugged himself – he never won another race….

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"………………after a lengthy court case it turned out he produced his own cortesone and drugged himself -………….."

……………..and if you believe that……………..

Colin

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

Well if I had to choose one race – and was just limited to one race – I’d love to have been at Aintree in 1839 to see the peerless Lottery and Jem Mason win what was the third running of the Grand National (though it is often mistaken for the first running).

What a chance to have seen a completely different world to that in which we live today – and of course, I’d have given a huge hug and a pat to my hero Seventy Four, on finishing a gallant 3 lengths second, ridden by "Black Tom" Olliver (nicknamed on account of his swarthy complexion and Gypsy looks), with the brave mare Paulina a further 3 lengths away in third place and True Blue not far behind in 4th. We’d have witnessed history being made at Becher’s Brook – in fact, seen how it got its world-famous name – as well as marvelling at all the other differences surrounding us. Of course, this is impossible, but it is great to dream……… :wink:

Of other races, I’d have chosen :

1977 Grand National (I will never ever forget Red Rum being roared home)
    1934 Grand National (seeing Golden Miller win in record time – have seen film of this)

and a race in about 1969 I think, a steeplechase at Warwick. I forget the name of it now, but it was broadcast on ITV and Chenonceaux, ridden by Roy Edwards, made one of the most amazing recoveries from a blunder that I have ever seen – not only that but Edwards got him back into the race and eventually ran away with it, winning by 25 lengths ! :shock:

He was a tough horse that one – may have been trained by Dick Holland in Shropshire, but I cannot honestly remember now.

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 125

The 2008 Champion Hurdle!!!

recherches de temps par deux[/color:1mp4aqv6][/size:1mp4aqv6]

Participant
    • Total Posts 5686

The old course is still standin
    thought the paint is cracked and dry
    and theres that old oak tree
    that Zilzal used to shake by

in the ascot toilets later…
    ten locked cubicles
    stay steadfastly shut
    and a skirtless lady
    whose patience runs out
    before the paper… shouts

Go on expletive yourselves
    You’ve got ten years of Blar Blar Blar
    to look forward to
    Then Bush goes to fookin war
    to please his Paw.
    and In them days,
    and this’ll surprise yer
    all your motions are watched
    three hundred times a day
    and if anyone is as slow
    and make as much stink as you lot
    Theyll bang you up in Guantanemo
    and cut off your rights
    or send you off to China
    to learn how real business is done
    And if anyone’s from oop north
    Barnsley win the FA coop
    in two thousand and eight
    A dickie bird told me
    now hurry up I cant wait

Wake up litte suzie and weep
    the movies over :cry:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

The Flying Dutchman’s match against Voltigeur in 1851.

• Total Posts 1688

Grundy/Bustino, 1975 King George.

Tiznow/Sakhee, 2001 Breeders’ Cup Classic.

But – you say to go back in time for any race?

Well … I’d have to watch at least one of Eclipse’s victories and see what all the fuss was about :lol:

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 125

Grundy/Bustino, 1975 King George.

Tiznow/Sakhee, 2001 Breeders’ Cup Classic.

But – you say to go back in time for any race?

Well … I’d have to watch at least one of Eclipse’s victories and see what all the fuss was about :lol:

Well young man, if you are of a macabre persuasion, Eclipse’s skeleton is in the National Horse racing Museum in Newmarket.

Regards,

LlanrumneyBoy

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.