The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ronan McNally

Home Forums Horse Racing Ronan McNally

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Both horses (Vee Dancer and The Jam Man) are due to run in the 2.45 tomorrow at Ayr, should be a fun watch. Vee Dancer currently the 9/4 fav with The Jam man the 10/1 outsider, though nothing would surprise me with this stable!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

The interesting fact is that he’s only had 10 NH runners in the past half year. All three entries this week are in GB.

The Jam Man could be running for his handicap mark to drop a bit, but as Ben said, nothing would surprise me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16518

The Jam Man has not won a hurdle race in three years. Stablemate vee dancer has dropped out of the race.
    This is an Alexander bet for me.
    I won’t go into traverse law or free energy. (Not before breakfast.) This will benefit the top weight who happens to be the Jam man who happens to be ridden by Brian Hughes.
    Last race over hurdles came at Cheltenham. A most likely prospect to win here a large drop in class too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Warned off for 12 years and fined €50,000.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Insane scapegoating, obviously he’s as guilty as it gets but so are the vast majority of trainers

Participant
    • Total Posts 251

What he did is certainly questionable but a 12 year ban is completely out of order in my opinion.

You see non triers every day of the week and absolutely nothing is done.

Meanwhile if you leave one of your horses to starve to death the punishment is getting your licence suspended for just 15 months.

Nice to see Irish racing has it’s priorities in order…

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

12 years for doing what a blind eye is turned to in every maiden hurdle – ridiculous. His sentence was for two things: cashing in too quickly on his handicap certs, and not being Mullins, Elliott, or Henry.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

That’s frankly disgraceful

That Steven mahon bloke got 4 years

Participant
    • Total Posts 740

How many years for the also-rans at Newcastle today?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Every jockey bar the one on the winner should get a few days holiday for that race QF

Giving a horse 50-60 lengths :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863
    Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

In the context of the feeble punishment handed out to Stephen Mahon, the length of this ban is ridiculous.

How embarrassing for the IHRB that they think this is worse than a repeat welfare offender who neglected a horse to the point that it started to eat its own legs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

McNally’s problem is he is nowhere near as clever as he likes to think he is. The stunt he pulled with Dreal Deal was so transparent and obvious that you would have to had to be blind to miss it. And then he told Nick Luck the following day that he only had something like €20 on.

I agree with the comments about schooling in public (especially in Ireland) being a bigger issue than just his stable and it does look like the Irish authorities are making an example of him. But I am finding it difficult to summon up much sympathy for him.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

He was probably too brazen and ‘they’ didn’t like to be made a fool of.

But 12 years when Mahon got 4, questionable at best.

Plus a lot of sympathy for the view that this sort of thing happens daily, both sides of the water, and he looks to have been made a scapegoat, a warning shot to the bows of others.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

Excellent from our man Cav

Participant
    • Total Posts 16518

Succinctly put.
    The trainer is making hay while his suspension is under appeal.
    Scored yesterday at Dundalk.
    Compare the outcry at this maverick trainer cocking a snook at the establishment to the near silence over the mistreatment of horses in Ireland.
    You get a lifetime ban for beating them at their own game, but beat or starve a horse and you are quietly retired and welcome on a racetrack anytime.
    I won’t condone or condemn McNally.
    Yes he has robbed punters blind, but no more than bookmakers do every minute of the week.
    He is manipulating an already broken system.

( The thread, Another day, another triumph for the IHRB refers)

Participant
    • Total Posts 16518

It does seem hard on the trainer to be banned effectively for life.
    I think the Authorities who have banned him are on a hiding to nothing when he counter-sues due to the cumulative loss of trade to staff etc.
    He has certainly taken the protection of a handicap mark to a new level and did it so well and so brazenly he has made the handicapper on both sides of the Irish sea look silly.

Especially when so many trainers at the top end have tenderly ridden their horses ready for Cheltenham and Newbury and on Sunday ascot.
    No questions asked as to improvement in form.
    Schooling in public, watch the improvement of Certain horse running in the fontwell maiden hurdle today.
    Assuming double click doesn’t win on debut related to best mate, then the Jonjo O’Neil horse may take all the beating despite running on from a tender ride last run which made the stewards question the trainer, who said he’d need to stick to two miles.
    Horse behind him bolted up yesterday and horse in question now steps up markedly in trip.
    Explain.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.