The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hunter Chasses II – Aintree Foxhunters

Home Forums Horse Racing Hunter Chasses II – Aintree Foxhunters

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

This ptp expert hasn’t had a look at the field in anything other than the most superficial detail (other work commitments prevailing at present, sadly), so hasn’t much to say other than;

a) it looks a better renewal in terms of quantity and quality as appeared likely when only 29 were declared at the five day stage,

b) Katarino’s absence of a prep run is no impediment given similar or identical "campaigns" the last two years, but 13 years of age is old enough,

c) I’m sure Cherry Coward and Oliver Greenall would love to double up here, having won the Cheltenham equivalent with Amicelli; but whilst Sonevafushi has been sweetened up with two pointing wins this winter his propensity to be a proper git has never stayed away for too long, and he didn’t impress me in the National itself last year,

d) Christy Beamish could hardly come here in better form having mowed down allcomers at Haydock and in a point since, and boasts good place form in this contest as well. Assuming he doesn’t try to take a fence or two home with him (not something that can ever be ruled out entirely), he may well do for me, though as I say I’m speaking with far less authority than usual on the matter here. Pathologically honest, me.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

In no way professing any real expertise but the two who interest me are:

Alvino (put in a decent performance last time out and could go well if the fences distract him enough for him not realise he’s racing left-handed)

and

Buckby Lane (whose form ties in with Amicelli and really ought to be thereabouts if getting round)

8)

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Hmmm, that could have gone far worse. 8)

Just need Leslingtaylor to go in later as well and that’s my Bargain Bucket paid for as well as Mrs C’s.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Laying Nicholls runners in anything other than the very softest hunters’ chases (and even then some of those as well) is fast becoming a passport to riches, and I can live with a couple of small reversals with Lou Du Moulin Mas – the only one of his current phalanx of hunter chasers with any great pretensions of staying 3m+ reliably – for the number of times the tactic works.

I had the phone commentary on here on the shop floor, so whilst I didn’t see the race, I wasn’t hearing too much about Thisthatandtother that was giving me particular cause for alarm.

Great effort again by the Waley-Cohens as you say, and I wouldn’t necessarily rule out his reappearance next year either, whatever they might say – Organiz, the animal presumably intended to step into his shoes long-term, just hasn’t cut it as well as he might have this season.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

Cruella
    • Total Posts 108

Thisthatandtother would probably never have won, but the post-race analysts on the BBC were too busy concentrating on Josh G’s impressive recovery on Christy Beamish at Becher’s to spot that TTT was quite badly hampered at the same fence by the faller on the outside, just as Nick Scholfield was trying to improve his position. It knocked him back through the field and it took the horse a while to recover any sort of momentum so to run on through beaten horses into fifth was quite creditable under the circumstances.

Let’s hope the old boy has a long and happy retirement, and well done to the winner and the second for making a great race of it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.