The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hunt Ball – a fun competition – name the price

Home Forums Racing Competitions Hunt Ball – a fun competition – name the price

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

I see Coral have got a book open on this. Under 100,000k is 14/1.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

85,000 gns

I find his current owner very irritating, but I suspect that’s because I’m dull!

Rob

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 703

There is no such thing as bad publicity (well, almost).
    Notoriety is the highest form of publicity.
    Some people with lots of money are not necessarily wise with it.
    The horse has already shown a very high level of form (OR 162).
    The horse is only eight years old, so could have two-and-a-half more years, or more, at this level.
    He is a tough multiple winner, with a good racing attitude.
    He could win a few more valuable chases, and give his new owner lots of fun.

So, I think there will be lots of potential buyers, and therefore he will reach a high price.

£241,000 – DBS operate in pounds sterling.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Think hype will push it up. I go for 133,000 gns.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I am going to say £95000 which is:- (approx)

90476 Guineas or

14,170,700 Angolan Kwanza

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

£162,OOO (Totally random guess)

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

£162,OOO (Totally random guess)

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the big boys went to 250k for him.

Goldie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 347

I think it will be hard for it to win a good hcp due to its rating and is a bit short of class for the big races but is a Saturday horse so £153000

goodfellow
    Participant
    • Total Posts 659

£170000 for me but if I had the cash I would not buy it.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Those who’ve guessed in guineas will just be straight 1:1 conversion to pounds.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

From racing post online

HUNT BALL may not be appearing at the DBS Spring Sale on Wednesday amid speculation that he has already been sold privately and will be heading to America.

The eight-year-old is due to come under the hammer at Doncaster on Wednesday, having been entered in the sale by colourful owner Anthony Knott following the disintegration of his relationship with trainer Keiran Burke, who last month asked Knott to take the horse out of his yard for the sake of his career.

When contacted by the Racing Post on Sunday, Knott refused to comment on the speculation of a private sale of the chaser, who charted a meteoric rise through the handicap ranks in 2012, which culminated with victory in the Pulteney Land Investment Novices’ Handicap Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.

More recently Hunt Ball landed Taunton’s richest-ever prize and was last seen finishing third to Champion Court in a Grade 2 back at Cheltenham.

However, Knott and Burke were recently in hot water with the BHA for a charity publicity stunt at this year’s Cheltenham Festival, where Hunt Ball’s hindquarters were emblazoned with the Paddy Power initials. The BHA fined Burke £1,000 and Knott £4,000, and Burke subsequently asked Knott to remove Hunt Ball from his stable.

Commenting on the split last month, Burke said: "I’ve been thinking about it for a while now, and I have done it to forward my career and not be held back. There was the Paddy Power affair, and a few other things, and I have just had enough."

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

From racing post online

HUNT BALL may not be appearing at the DBS Spring Sale on Wednesday amid speculation that he has already been sold privately and will be heading to America.

:D :D :D Knew it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

From racing post online

What would his likely targets be Miss W? I’m a bit ignorant about the States’ jumps scene.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

From racing post online

What would his likely targets be Miss W? I’m a bit ignorant about the States’ jumps scene.

Mike

Assuming Naylor (whose usually uses William Meister to train his timber horses) gets him, he would probably use the same strategy as with horses like Alfa Beat and Herons Well. They’d probably put him in

maiden

timber company first!
    Spring targets might be any two or three of the following: My Lady’s Manor, Maryland Grand National (won by Alfa Beat this year), Maryland Hunt Cup , Virginia Gold Cup, Mason Houghland, Radnor Hunt Cup. You will note that these races all take place from mid-April to mid-May; it is perfectly normal for timber horses to come back off one or two weeks’ rest.

Plus a few of the following fall races: Chronicle Cup, Genesee Valley Hunt Cup, New Jersey Hunt Cup, International Gold Cup, Pennsylvania Hunt Cup. All taking place from late September – early November.

That’s all assuming he jumps well and consistently enough to take timber fences, and he has the stamina to go past three miles over said fences. And of course the firmer ground; these courses are rarely watered.

roosterbooster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 211

185000 Guineas

Scanman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Assuming Naylor (whose usually uses William Meister to train his timber horses) gets him, he would probably use the same strategy as with horses like Alfa Beat and Herons Well. They’d probably put him in

maiden

timber company first!
    Spring targets might be any two or three of the following: My Lady’s Manor, Maryland Grand National (won by Alfa Beat this year), Maryland Hunt Cup , Virginia Gold Cup, Mason Houghland, Radnor Hunt Cup. You will note that these races all take place from mid-April to mid-May; it is perfectly normal for timber horses to come back off one or two weeks’ rest.

Plus a few of the following fall races: Chronicle Cup, Genesee Valley Hunt Cup, New Jersey Hunt Cup, International Gold Cup, Pennsylvania Hunt Cup. All taking place from late September – early November.

That’s all assuming he jumps well and consistently enough to take timber fences, and he has the stamina to go past three miles over said fences. And of course the firmer ground; these courses are rarely watered.

Like you, I assume Mr. Naylor made this acquisition.

Your analysis is interesting. You presume that he’d go over timber and if he were the type, the races that you noted would allow him to be profitable. Though, he’s never won beyond 2 5/8 miles, so the idea that get 3 or 4 miles “over the rails” would indicate great optimism on Mr. Naylor’s part. He has raced over 3 miles on 4 occasions and hasn’t really proven to be effective. Perhaps, the normally firm ground to be found at Butler (Grand National), Glyndon (MD Hunt Cup) or Great Meadow (VA Gold Cup) will be to his liking. Though, I would be willing to bet that he will have a negative ROI.

I believe his best opportunity for success/profitability would be to send him to Brianne Slater and try him over hurdles. There are better races/purses at a distance that he’s been successful (Turf Writers, $100K, 2 3/8; Grand National, $250K, 2 5/8). Probably, best to follow the same pattern as Charminister, who while only winning a small race this spring, he did pick up a check in all four US-G1’s last year and has earned $68K since his move to the US.

FWIW, Herons Well has been an abject failure so far and while Alfa Beat won a decent race at Grand National, he was soundly beaten in the VA Hunt Cup and has only won $19.8K in 6 starts since coming to the US.

But it my understanding that Mr. Naylor has deep pockets, so the lack of a positive ROI probably doesn’t concern him much.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.