The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hungerford 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hungerford 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17559

Not a race I usually have a big go on, but it’s a quality entry……

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/36/newbury/2020-08-15/763100

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/hungerford-stakes/winner

Jumping out at 12’s is Brando. Questionable whether he’ll line up here over seven, but is it maybe what he needs now. I think it might be. I’m very tempted to back just now, but I’ll wait until he’s declared and see what he is then.

Goes without saying that Limato is a massive player here, and he’s bound to go close, but if I do play one Antepost, it’ll be a regular of mine, Ropey Guest. He continues to acquit himself well in races of this nature, and often makes the frame. 50’s is hugely tempting, but I might just get four places after Final Decs, and his price will probably hold, so I’m as well waiting.

That’s the two for me anyway, but no bet for now.

Brando Win
    Ropey Guest EW

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2018

One master surely wins if we get the forecast rain this week

Id like to see some confirmation she is running though as its fairly soon after goodwood

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1215

Looks a good race this if they all turn up. One Master, Limato were good last time out and Dream of Dreams is gelded now and ran well in the Diamond Jubilee. The one I really like at the prices though is Threat. I’ve been waiting for him to run over 7furlongs this season and I’m delighted to get 10/1 on that.

Hoping we get GF ground, although it’s currently Good with all the overwatering so hoping it misses any thunderstorms.

Threat is going to the sales after this race, is that a negative in any way? Not sure what to think?

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2018

He will probably win frenchy now iv given up on him

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1215

Bit early to give up on him FF, only 2 runs as a 3 year old! Keep the faith!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2018

I’m not as forgiving as you are frenchy

Very easy to poke holes in almost all of his 2yo form and I have very little faith in the trainer

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 296

If this was a race at Newmarket I would have been all over Limato. This is a hard race to sort out, the top three have equal chance and we have last years winner AT 12/1 Glorious Journey who could suddenly find form. One Master how he got in trouble last time out and still won was impressive. This is not an easy race.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2777

The ground is hard to guess isn’t it? Forecasts for heavy rain throughout the week, but 30 degrees lol.

I was looking at this race with an eye to something that handles all ground. I wouldn’t like to be backing horses like, Limato, Tabarrak, Threat or Breathtaking Look until i knew the rain didn’t hit Newbury at all as they could well swerve the race completely.

Threat being sold probably suggests what we know, he won’t make a top class stallion so CP don’t want him. A new trainer could revive him.

Liked Glorious Journey and Dream of Dreams for this. Oisin booked for DOD’s seems a good booking too.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1215

Yes, it’s got even worse now the forecast, impossible to tell. Could be loads, could be nothing. I haven’t backed Threat yet, just held off at the last moment on him yesterday. Worth waiting I agree. In fact this isn’t an antipost market really now, will wait for the decs at least

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2018

Looking at the weather radar id be fairly confident the ground will be soft

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22650

A shame about the weather forecast as Threat would be in a race he is capable of winning for the first time this year.
    If he is being sold afterwards Hannon will have him spot on if he is getting any commission as he loves a few extra quid in his back pocket.

Member since March 2008
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2777

See i thought that, but depending whic forecast you read, it’s not certain to hit the racecourse. A lot of it is mentioned as 40% chance etc. With the temperatures they are getting, it might not be soft.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10489

Hoping the ground stays on the good side I’m with LIMATO to win with a fast finishing run from Dream Of Dreams. This has been his target race since winning last time at his beloved Newmarket and Henry Candy will have him spot on. :good:

One Master taking on the colts and geldings here hasn”t been running well at this level this season and I’m opposing her in this.

Last years winner Glorious Journey has tougher opposition this year.

Dream Of Dreams always seems to find one better and has never won at 7f. He could be vulnerable to a fast finisher as happened with Sir Dancealot in 2018.

Threat could be the big danger having won his only race over 7f and back at Group 2 level.

Limato WIN 7/2
    (Haven’t backed him yet)

Best of luck .. let’s hope Jack is right and the rain stays away. :good:
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7501

As has been said, I think the ground will have a big say in who goes here and who give it a
    miss. Limato is a terrific horse, but checking the forecast again today I think it will be
    soft. I don’t mean to put the hoodoo on him Jac, but I have doubts about his appearance.
    Equally Threat 1st time out would have to have a shout, but again I think the ground may not
    be to his liking. I think that Dream Of Dreams looked back to the form that saw him win 2
    and then go close in the Diamond Jubilee at Ascot. He went off the boil after that but perhaps
    being gelded has got him focused. He’ll manage in the ground and 4/1 is going to look awful
    big come Saturday if Limato fails to trap.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10489

Best of luck Graham :good: I’m not betting until Friday night just in case. B-)

Just read on RP that Michael Stoute’s long term partner has sadly died.
    Dream Of Dreams winning on Saturday may help to put a smile on his face, he is one of the nicest trainers around Newmarket. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.