The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hula Dancer – Any Information?

Home Forums Horse Racing Hula Dancer – Any Information?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Is there anyone out there old enough to remember this filly or perhaps has some old Timeforms to provide her full career details. When the top fillies are talked about I can’t remember her name being mentioned but given the races she won she must have been one of best to race in the 60s.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Thanks, unfortunately it doesn’t give much more than the bare bones. If a filly won 5 Group 1s against the colts these days you wouldn’t here the last of it. As far as I am aware she wasn’t even considered as good as Noblesse. Looks like I will need to get a 1963 Timeform. It would also be interesting to know what she bred. My old Keylocks suggests she didn’t breed a winner in the UK.

Crepello1957
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

She foaled Dancing Lad who only raced once & was retired through injury. He was by Sicambre, he went to stud but I think success was limited. There is a piture of her as a broodmare on http://www.sporthorse-data

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

She foaled Dancing Lad who only raced once & was retired through injury. He was by Sicambre, he went to stud but I think success was limited. There is a piture of her as a broodmare on http://www.sporthorse-data

It does at least list her other two races. Be very interesting to find out what happened in the Prix De Diane.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

It does at least list her other two races. Be very interesting to find out what happened in the Prix De Diane.

She was considered a non-stayer until winning the Champion Stakes. I’m fairly sure Noblesse was rated a fair bit higher than her by Timeform and the three year old colts were a very poor bunch that year with the exception of the middle distance/stayers (viz Relko and Ragusa). Noblesse herself beat the colts in the Observer Gold Cup as a 2yo (now the Racing Post Trophy) and if anything, the fillies races for that generation were more competitive. in addition, the Prix Du Moulin and Jacques Le Marois have considerably more cachet than they had back in the ’60s. She was definitely underrated at the time and wasn’t considered outstanding by most judges of the time despite her exploits. The fact that she was sent off at 9/2 in a moderate Champion Stakes, behind another filly, The Creditor, shows that she wasn’t even considered the best filly of her generation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.