The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

HRI List w/e 29.10.20

Home Forums Memorials HRI List w/e 29.10.20

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ekbalco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 62

Ballinroe (GB), Mustang Bullitt, Rolling Wave, Wichita.

RIP to all.

Prong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 115

Scherzando last night at Dundalk too

Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1620

Come on, FFS this is getting ridiculous. This time is Augustine Leahy’s turn to provide us with some “fatalities”. This looks more like put down for finishing last in its final race.

HOW MANY MORE ARE THERE TO COME FROM THIS PIECE OF ****?

May they all rest in peace.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10827

All of them just 3 years old and only Wichita has a true reason to sadly be there.
    Terrible evil way to treat horses what can be done to stop this practice Ruby?
    Does HRI really turn a blind eye to this?
    There are so many charities that could step in to save these unfortunate horses but their irresponsible owners don’t give it a thought. :negative:

RIP to all ⚘

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1620

Yes Jac, You’re right about Wichita being on the list. But there should be no reason for killing such young horses after just a few runs. Somehow I hope that Covid 19 will keep away all the owners seeking “new toys”, but it seems that genuine supporters of the sport such as Trevor Hemmings, Graham Wylie, the O’Leary Bros. also seem to cut down their numbers significantly. I don’t know where this will end, but owning a racehorse should be like buying quality meat: it should be expensive!!!

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10827

Agreed Ruby. Perhaps cut the breeding programne back and put up the prices.

Those poor Leahy trained horses…one was owned by his wife and another by his daughter. How in gods name could they send 3 perfect horses to be slain when there are organisations such as riding for the disabled who would have welcomed them with open arms.

I would make it law that when purchasing a racehorse or any horse you are responsible for it’s welfare for the rest of it’s life and it’s passport should be produced and stamped on an annual basis, failure to produce the horse and passport resulting in hefty fines.

As you say where is all this leading?

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3415

https://www.racingtv.com/news/mullins-suggests-collective-responsibility-is-key-to-meeting-welfare-aims

I think it’s about time all equine registration- from thoroughbreds to thelwells- had to go into a central database controlled by defra/daera, as we have to do with sheep and cattle (in addition to the breed registries/Weatherbys). Microchips for all and traceability from birth to death whenever, wherever and however that may be. And an accord with Ireland, France and Australia that they do the same.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10827

That’s what I would like to see happen too green.
    Great article too, gives some hope where there was none.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 579

I fear this is going to get worse.

As the British and Irish governments seem determined to wreck their economies, smaller owners will drop out of the sport. When faced with their businesses collapsing and a mountain of bills, the last one they are going to pay is the one to the racehorse trainer. Some owners may decide there is one course of action open to them that would put an end to the expense.

We are in very grim times.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.