The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

How many horses must a man have?

Home Forums Horse Racing How many horses must a man have?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I have been watching Willie Mullins send out winner after winner. How many horses does he have in his yard? Must have a couple of hundred.At least you are guaranteed a good jockey from the yard for your horse.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I was watching the 15:20 at Leopardstown. JP had four in the race and none appeared until 10 had passed the post. None in the first ten and four runners for JP. Sad.Somebody is taking JP for a ride.

Crazy Horse
    • Total Posts 23

JP McManus is a modern day philanthropist. The majority of his horses in training in Ireland provide much of the Irish NH industry with the basics (horses and training fees) for so much employment.

This should be lauded.

Of course he also has top class horses with top class trainers – for example Roche, Nicky, Jonjo (well, some at least) – to aim at the best prizes.

Let’s not assume to know JP’s innermost thoughts and ideals…..

Prestbury
    • Total Posts 178

He has picked up a good few from Graham Wylie since Howard Johnsons fall from grace.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

All I said was "somebody is taking him for a ride".I should imagine that would be of concern to him.

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

This was brought up on ATR a couple a years ago and the reason why he has so many trainers is because the man loves the sport and gives people who have done him favors them back in sending them horses to train.

Great man and i hope he has a lot more success and i cant wait for Ap to train for him. not to soon tho :D

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 97

You’re more likely to see them tailed off at Huntingdon etc. on a Wednesday than favourite for the Saturday races. For all the horses he has his success rate/ prize money earned must be appalling.
    The sport would be poorer without him but whoever breeds or buys his horses (FB ?) wouldn’t be top of my list for a xmas bonus.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

JP is a massive plus for the game and what it costs him is irrelevant, as can afford to do it and loves it so why not

I’m sure he’d love to be competitive in all the top races, but one important point not mentioned, is that JP definitely makes his punting pay. With horses in nearly Irish stable, he should easily be able to get the insight into nearly every runner in a race when planning a punt. That will clearly help and you can understand trainers being “100% open” with them in the hope of getting a few more of their boxes filled

theplasticpaddy
    • Total Posts 57

Without JP’s generosity we would struggle to have a sport. How much better for us that he spends his money on lots of horses to keep the whole game going than spend large sums on a couple of horses to go pot hunting with. If all the owners were like Clive Smith racing wouldn’t last very long!! God bless JP McManus one of the great altruists of this or any age.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.