The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horses That You Thought Would Be Top Class…

Home Forums Horse Racing Horses That You Thought Would Be Top Class…

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

A couple that spring to mind would be another Mercer horse Escartefigue and one of Mrs Reveleys Cab On Target who seemed to have a decent engine but was rather for want of a better description kept in cotton wool a touch.

Marsh
    • Total Posts 92

I thought that Hot Weld was going to win the National after his sensational Scottish National & Bet365 chase the week after.

An absolute machine on Fast Ground.

Unfortunately he never got the chance due to injuries
    :cry:

Still have great memories of the win in the 4miler at Cheltenham.

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

These four spring to mind over jumps:

Kicks for Free
    Hoo La Baloo
    Nacarat
    Fix The Rib (not quite given up hope on this one)

Biggest disappointment ever on the Flat: Celtic Swing

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Vicario De Bray! He absolutely toyed with a very good horse named Celtic Shot but wasn’t the same after that :(

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

You must be a hard man to please Benny? Celtic Swing didn’t do much wrong!

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Kadou Nonantais. Very promising novice who tipped-up in the Wm Hill Chase (stablemate went RSA Chase route) and was never the same horse again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Royal Athlete looked a potential Gold Cup horse and was a huge disappointment.

Huge dissapointment! That is the most ridiculous comment i have ever read in the history of horse racing!Its that bad i am not going to respond to it! :twisted:

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 122

Some harsh calls on this thread. If classic winners and multiple grade 1 winners are deemed as never making it to top class then what actually is top class ??

Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Apalachee; when he won the (then) Observe Gold Cup he looked like a machine, then got turned over by Nonoalco in the 2000 Guineas and never raced again

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Stu

Snap! I, too, expected great things from Ekbalco He had a few decent horses around then and a very good claimer attached to the stable around the same time, one of the Goulding boys, who went on to win The Scottish National on a 66-1 on a front runner, I forget his name? Astral something?????

Astral Charmer, a complete nutter from the stable of Harry Bell at Hawick.

Cappa Bleu to be honest and Castle Main, another Foxhunter winner, promised a lot but was found dead in his field.

• Total Posts 1688

Juddmonte horses based in England find a way of sucking me in and spitting me out the following season.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Ballyhampshire Boy – really thought he would go on to win a Champion Hurdle after his novice sesason.

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

I suppose he was certainly top class, and therefore might not qualify for this thread, but the visual impression created by his Racing Post Trophy victory made me hope for so much more.

Beaten in the 2000 by Pennekamp and then controversially absent from Epsom, I think it’s fair to say he didn’t live up to expectations, despite being a multiple Group 1 winner.

jumpsfan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 109

Arazi.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

Funnily enough I was thinking the other day about a similar theme for a thread.

The one that springs to my mind is Straw Bear – looked potentially very useful a few years ago, now has trouble giving a snail a race!

• Total Posts 2440

Funnily enough I was thinking the other day about a similar theme for a thread.

The one that springs to my mind is Straw Bear – looked potentially very useful a few years ago, now has trouble giving a snail a race!

I personally dont think Straw Bear has been helped, he’s had the guts dragged out of him in my opinion and it is a massive shame as he does have talent and he is a gorgeous looking horse.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I suppose he was certainly top class, and therefore might not qualify for this thread, but the visual impression created by his Racing Post Trophy victory made me hope for so much more.

Beaten in the 2000 by Pennekamp and then controversially absent from Epsom, I think it’s fair to say he didn’t live up to expectations, despite being a multiple Group 1 winner.

Fair points, but he got closer to Pennekamp than any other horse prior to that one’s sad demise at Epsom, went on to win the French Derby before going wrong himself. Bahri didn’t do the Greenham or Guineas form any harm either. Just a shame we never saw him after Ireland – those 2yo runs were immense.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.