The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Horses in Training Sale

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Horses in Training Sale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Racing Post report Day 1

A couple look expensive, notably Zurbaran for 210,000 gns. The best bit of business for the week has to be from Nigel Shields who purchased Bravo Maestro here last year for 10,000 gns and brought him back this year having won 3 races and sold him for 105,000 gns.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Thought David Barker’s purchase of Polish Emperor was worth noting DJ.

Potentially well handicapped and now in the care of a sprint master.

Helvetio might as well be retired now that Micky Hammond has got him.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Yes I noticed that, I just have concerns that the horse might have a few ideas of his own nowadays. Personally I’m not Barker’s biggest fan, though it would be folly to knock his skills when you look at what he’s done with Mecca’s Mate, Sierra Vista and Mr Wolf.  

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Not a particularly shrewd sprint guy myself, but have Barker pegged as a good ‘un.  Any (publishable) reason why you aren’t a fan DJ?

Thought Escayola might be an OK jumps purchase for Grant Tuer too btw.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I just personally find him difficult to read. Nothing more sinister than that. I don’t think he’s particularly dishnest or anything, I just don’t think his horses are all that consistent.

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

The one that has me puzzled is Scented Present, a very decent 2yo with an OR of 95, going for only 9K.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3104

<br>Against that, he hasn’t run anywhere close to that mark of 95 on his last two starts and has faded both times like a horse with a problem.

Sale prices often look ridiculous when compared with the form book – have a look at the 14F maiden handicap at Goodwood run in June this year and won by Cape Secret.

Several of the also rans from that race have gone through the sale ring and I’ve been keeping a watch on their fate as I bid for one of them, Jack Absolute, who made 18,000gns at the July sales – 8,000 more than my limit!

Congestion Charge finished 13th in that race and went for 62,000 gns in July, Brabazon made 35,000 gns and others have sold for a minimum of 12,000.

Yet the third in that race, Ritsi, who has run 3rd again in two of his three subsequent starts just changed hands for 5,000 gns, sold to Grant Tuer.

Makes no sense, but I bet the market will be proved right and Ritsi will remain a maiden.

AP

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

My former boss bought a half brother to Queens Logic and Dylan Thomas a few years ago for 5K.The horse has won a couple of races and given them some good days out.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3104

<br>Has the distance of the Ayr Gold Cup been changed to two miles for next year ?

Dandy Nicholls has just paid 75,000 gns for Lost Soldier Three.

AP

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Everybody’s trying to buy horses rated 95+ to take to the Dubai International Racing Carnival (applications by November 11th).

David Nicholls already has a bunch of sprinters lined up and LST would have the rating.  However he’d have to race at 12 furlongs if he went out there.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

210,000 gns for Gilded looks far too much as done a similar figure for her stablemate Golden Balls.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Just having a quick at yesterday sales and can’t believe that Storm on the Run,a consistent horse for Richard Hannon and winner of the maiden Taj made her debut in was sold for a measly 5000 guineas.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from davidjohnson on 3:05 pm on Oct. 25, 2006[br]210,000 gns for Gilded looks far too much as done a similar figure for her stablemate Golden Balls.<br>

And so does 150,000 for stablemate Resignation.

Adrian is right about purchasing for Dubai. 280,000 for the gelding Fairmile out of the Swinburn yard?

It’s always interesting to look at the end of season culling out of the big yards. Also what they withdraw from the sale and what’s not in.<br> Some useful types go from Juddmonte  because they don’t fit their  breeding programme but I’d say All Ivory (180,000) and Great plains (155,000) are not bargains as exposed flat h’cappers.Did Berkeley Castle from the same operation really make 200,000 or is that an error?

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quote: from Alderbrook on 12:26 am on Oct. 24, 2006[br]Thought Escayola might be an OK jumps purchase for Grant Tuer too btw.<br>

Escayola looked cheap mainly because he has a breathing problem. It might well be a touch of genius that he looked to be given too much to do in his last run in the Findlay silks. I’d say that if the horse had any future over obstacles he’d still be running in the purple and grey.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Would tend to agree with Rory on that one. Interesting that Nicholls sent it back to Haggas and now that the owners have got rid.

Interesting that in the Coolmore clearout the useful performers Frost Giant was sold for 40,000 yet Purple Moon went for near on 400,000. I know which cheque I’d have rather signed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.