The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Honeysuckle etc

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2023 Honeysuckle etc

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

I know this is a tired subject by now, but seeing the final decs for tomorrow really drives it home.

Who on God’s green Earth has a horse on a CH hattrick and sends it to the Mares’ Hurdle? I’m not that impressed with previous champ Epatante doing the same either.

God, we need a three-day festival back…

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 740

Well said. Can only agree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

The Mares Hurdle looks the best, most competitive race tomorrow.
    The CH looks a right bore of a race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree – but the 3 day festival is not coming back.

As I said on the Champion Hurdle thread, make the Mares Hurdle a 0-150 handicap and force the best Mares to run in either the Champion or the Stayers.

Cheltenham should be about the best horses racing against the best. At the moment it often isn’t.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“The CH looks a right bore of a race.”

Sorry Wilts but I cannot entirely agree with that. It features the most exciting horse in training up against a very worthy contender.

The race would have been even better if the two previous Champion Hurdle winners were running in it as well. But unfortunately both sets of connections lack the courage to take on Constitution Hill and would rather win an “easier” race, although neither are favourite for it.

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 508

While I do feel that Honeysuckle, Epatante, Sharjah and Pied Piper should be in the champion. Its still far from a boring race.
    The unbeaten star of NH racing vs the unbeaten (bar falling) star of the 2m hurdling division in Ireland. “I Like To Move It” is an intriguing contender also.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I’ve got with the programme and moved with the times.

All 28 races this week are decent contests that would stand out on any Saturday and would send many into raptures at any midweek meeting.

Understanding of the reality of the form book is at an all-time high among trainers.

Why run in the Champion Hurdle when you can’t win it and could ruin your handicap mark?

More trainers than ever understand the trade off between place money and the future mark and great horse’s understandably scare off opposition.

They’d rather run in races they can win than be cannon fodder for what promises to be one of – if not THE – great all-time Champion Hurdlers.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

If Honeysuckle ran in the Champion Hurdle she would be approx a 10-1 chance and Epatante approx a 14-1 chance. In other words in with some sort of shout of grabbing 3rd. I don’t think having them in the Champion Hurdle would add much to the race tomorrow in truth with Constitution Hill looking a certainty and State Man expected to be 2nd.

What it has done this year imo is made the Mares Hurdle a more interesting and competitive race.

And I think I prefer the 4 day Festival to the 3, wouldn’t want 5.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Why run in the Champion Hurdle when you can’t win it and could ruin your handicap mark?”

Connections of Honeysuckle and Epatante are hardly going to be worrying about their handicap mark.

In the case of Team Honeysuckle, I think they are more worried about Constitution Hill stuffing her by 30 lengths.

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

Said this elsewhere but to me it seems ridiculous to have the last three winners of the Champion Hurdle, fit and well, but running in alternative races at the Festival.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Plenty of outsiders have won the Champion Hurdle; if they are in peak form on the day, have the going to suit, jump well, get the run of the race, and the favourites make a mistake or two, both mares would have a big chance. They’d add depth and intrigue to the field.
    But no going back, I suppose; 3 novice hurdles, 4 novice chases, there’s a race for everyone
    Less excited this year than ever before, tho the Gold Cup will always make my heart go pippiti-pop

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

The Champion Hurdle would definitely be enlivened further by Honeysuckle, Epatante and some of the other absentees.

But the prospect of tomorrow’s race and what Constitution Hill might do is hugely exciting, and I cannot understand how any racing fan could think it boring.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

“…..I cannot understand how any racing fan could think it boring.”

Thankfully, Marlingford, this forum is full of people with diverse views.
    It’s just not my kind of race to get excited about, from a punting perspective. I’ve never hidden the fact that i like a good value punt, as evidenced by some of my posts in these threads over last few months.
    Dont get me wrong, i do see Constitution Hill as one hell of a horse, but a Champion Hurdle with only 7 runners seems poor.
    Just my opinion :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“3 novice hurdles, 4 novice chases, there’s a race for everyone”.

And with the Mares Chase dominated in the betting by novices who would not be out of place in the Arkle or Turners, it is in effect 5 novice chases.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Wilts, it is good that there are diverse views, and I never said anyone should not be entitled to hold differing opinions.

I stand by what I said though. I do not understand how any racing fan could not be excited by tomorrow’s Champion Hurdle. If you are only interested in racing because of betting, then fair enough. But if you are interested in racing as a sport, then surely the prospect of seeing what Constitution Hill might do is not boring?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

“Why run in the Champion Hurdle when you can’t win it and could ruin your handicap mark?”

*see the 2011 Cheltenham Gold Cup for further details

Mike

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

See just about every other Cheltenham Gold Cup EVER for further details.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.