The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

History Question – How Many British PMs have had horses?

Home Forums Horse Racing History Question – How Many British PMs have had horses?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dilysb
    • Total Posts 51

I wrongly thought Winston Churchill had Stalbridge Colonist but apparently he didn’t get into ownership unntil he was 75. I think Cameron’s late father had interesta? Any serious involvement anywhere among our leaders?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Earl Of Rosebery (Prime Minister 1894-5) – won all of the classics at least once.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Churchill owned Stalbridge Colonist’s sire Colonist II, winner of the Jockey Club Cup and Ribblesdale stakes, also second in the Ascot Gold Cup.

Vienna (sire of Vaguely Noble), winner of the Coronation Cup, Prix D’Harcourt and Hardwicke Stakes was another one of his, as was Stewards’ Cup winner Tudor Monarch.

Lord Palmerston bred and raced Buckthorn, winner of the Ascot Stakes.

Ravel
    Participant
    • Total Posts 79

William Pitt the Elder, acknowledged as effectively PM in a coalition government, had runners at Bath (his constituency) in 1759.

The Marquess of Rockingham was PM in 1765-66 and 1782. He owned racehorses, notably Whistlejacket, the subject of Stubbs’ famous painting.

Palmerston owned horses for a long time before he was PM, including the winner of Bath’s big race in 1826, the Somersetshire Stakes. I expect he owned others during his time in office.

The PM in 1838, Lord Melbourne accompanied Queen Victoria to Ascot but confessed that he hadn’t been there since he left Eton 42 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.