The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hislop

Home Forums Horse Racing Hislop

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Lydia Hislop deserves the highest praise for her consistently excellent articles in The Times.

In our sport the key issues affecting the integrity of the sport are almost invariably shirked, by the authorities, the participants and, most unforgivably, the media.

Lydia tackles these issues head on and this weeks piece on bloodstock malpractice (which followed Michael Goodbody’s comments) was just the latest in a series of excellent articles in a similar vein.

Her work represents what journalism, at its best, should be and many of her self-preserving pressroom colleagues would do well to take note.

On the subject of Goodbody. While I welcome his comments I note that he has participated in the industry for 25 years and chooses now, with a change of role and interests, to highlight these issues.

I’m never b****y happy am I!

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

No

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Any ideas for your Maiden Q & A to follow Ms Hislop, Cormack?

Z

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

I was thinking more of Goodbody for that one Z!

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Hislop is indeed a better read than most racing journalists and well worth the effort of nicking someones Times to have a gander. (My initial comment was my attempt at winning the shortest post of 2007 competition :biggrin:   – no punctuation marks allowed.)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Shes one reason ive recently swapped to the times

i think she is excellent and by racing standards (not high) ….almost fearless

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Didn’t like that hat today, Lydia!!:o

Colin

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Lydia and Jonathan on RUK yesterday – pretty much the dream team for NH coverage, as far as I’m concerned.<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

I also think Lydia Hislop is brilliant, Cormack, and brave.<br>Let’s hope she continues as I’m sure she must be annoying, if not infuriating, a few people.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

A regular reader of postings on this site by the way!<br>

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

She is absolutely first-class, writes with passion as well as knowledge, and with Alan Lee being there as well, the Times is a real treat for racing fans.

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

<br>Lydia is a refreshing independent view. <br>alan Lee is a top class writer — the best around.  He is also a close watcher of the hobbs yard.   and a great judge of horses.  We both shared a view on a  sun alliance chase winner several years ago.. Also he’s ghosted a couple of good NH racing books

CavCav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4809

Would concur with the compliments paid to Lydia, she is a class act.  Another female doing an excellent job (and gets very little credit) is Tanya Stephensen. She puts most of the so called experts on C4 to shame with her very well thought out selections. Good on you both.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Was just wondering if anyone knew the Racing UK presenter who seemed to cover a lot of the 2yo races, and he also has 10 minutes on the Ladbrokes audiowaves on a Saturday morning to give his selections. He sounds a bit like the bloke (called Dom) who does a lot of morning TV programs involving houses and people getting ripped off! Very helpful I know

Always found him very knowledgeable and worth listening to.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.