The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Henry Cecil – Top Owners

Home Forums Horse Racing Henry Cecil – Top Owners

Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Didn’t Ron Smyth have one that was pretty good. Rings a bell somewhere.

He trained a fair 2 yr old called Ruse for the Prince in the early 80s

Is Tremblant – 1985 Cambridgeshire – the horse we are after by any chance???

I also noticed in my searching that Henry Cecil trained the decent filly Martha Stevens (Nell Gwynn 1987) for none other than Peter Harris.

Sounds then like Adonijah was a one off for Cecil prior to the early 90’s when he quickly became a leading trainer for the Prince.

I might be wrong but I think I saw a picture of Cauthen riding a Cecil animal in a Timeform Racehorses annual a couple of weeks ago in the Maktoum al Maktoum silks – which also surprised me as I never associated him much with Maktoum Al Maktoum.

I imagine the other Maktoum brothers never suported him as Warren Place was pretty much overflowing during that halcyon era?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I might be wrong but I think I saw a picture of Cauthen riding a Cecil animal in a Timeform Racehorses annual a couple of weeks ago in the Maktoum al Maktoum silks – which also surprised me as I never associated him much with Maktoum Al Maktoum.

I imagine the other Maktoum brothers never suported him as Warren Place was pretty much overflowing during that halcyon era?

You’re spot on ivanjica – was looking through an old Racehorses in Training annual yesterday and Maktoum Al Maktoum was listed among Cecil’s owners, along with Caryl Harris.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Didn’t Ron Smyth have one that was pretty good. Rings a bell somewhere.

He trained a fair 2 yr old called Ruse for the Prince in the early 80s

Is Tremblant – 1985 Cambridgeshire – the horse we are after by any chance???

Could well be. Was owned by the Prince.Good recollection!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Tremblant – that is exactly the fellow. I had the letter T in my mind so I was getting there!

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Any ideas on the last Sheikh Mo animal to run under the Warren PLace flag guys?

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I only remember one horse running for H.Cecil in the colours of Maktoum Al Maktoum, & that was Twist & Turn.

I think that was more of a case of the Maktoum brothers passing horses around, as I think he was a Sheikh Mohammed horse in training with Cecil, who ran in a big race (maybe the Derby?) in the Maktoum Al Maktoum colours.

I could be wrong though !

• Total Posts 89

Could be wrong, but I thought ZALAZL was owned by Maktoum al Maktoum and trained by Henry when winning the Great Voltigeur in 1989.

To confuse the issue further, SNOW BRIDE was owned by Saeed al Maktoum who I think was Sheik Mohammed’s father wasn’t he?

Regarding Mrs Harris, I remember a nice filly called SIng Softly that Henry trained in the early 80s

Perhaps Henry was too popular in the 80s, after all Stavros Niarchos and Robert Sangster didnt get horses with him until the mid 1980s and 90s respectively

Other eminent owners who did of course, were Daniel Wildenstein, Charles St George, Louis Freedman, Lord Howard de Walden, Wafic Said, Prince Faisal and Carlo d’Allessio

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Twist And Turn seems about right. Zalazl is a little trickier.

He certainly wore Marwan Al Maktoums old colours as a 2yo as there is a picture in 1988 Racehorses – white, light blue chevron, striped cap.

Whether he continued in these silks or not thereafter I cannot be entirely sure – the Breedon Book lists the owner as M Al Maktoum when he won the Great Voltigeur – but they may still be Marwan not Maktoum?

I have a blind spot with Snow Bride for some reason. She seemed to win for HRAC in Shekih Mo’s colours in her early races then switched to the colours of her son Lammtarra – though I cannot for the life of me remember her carrying them – probably because I can only visualise the Aga’s real winner maybe. Photos seem thin on the ground so I will have to just get my hands on a 1989 copy of Racehorses!

• Total Posts 89

With regard to the Sheikh and HRAC, Stelvio winning the Queens Vase in 1995 was the last pattern race winner they had together, which is interesting ‘cos Godolphin had already had some success with Balanchine the year before.

Viewing 9 posts - 18 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.