The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Henry II Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Henry II Stakes 2009

• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by And.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my points rating

140 tastahil
    136 geordieland
    135 patkai
    131 bulwark
    129 tungsten strike
    129 viper
    128 fiulin

will back tastahil to win

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Don’t know what the ground is but I expect Patkai to be too strong here.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Tenbob I know you’ve read it before, but your system is ludicrous.

For a horse who has won a Listed and Conditions race this season, which prior to those was still a Maiden, to be rated higher than Patkai is blasphemous.

As for Patkai, if he’s to justify Gold Cup favouritism, then a stroll in the park here is an obligation so long as the going continues to firm up.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I will be very surprised and hugely disappointed if Patkai does not win this.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I was going to back Fiulin and still will, although for smaller stakes now that I like the look of Viper so much.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Patkai’s form resembles 6 lb of swiss cheese stored in a colander.

Lewey
    • Total Posts 140

Patkai looks the class act, cannot see any dangers.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Anyone who backed Yeats in last years AGC must have been a very worried punter when Gerordieland cruised up 2 out and headed him then stopped.

On more than one occasion he has travelled like the winner, hit the front 1 or 2 furlongs from home and done the same thing.

Maybe Jamie Osbourse will wake up one day and realize the horse needs held up to the very last possible moment, like he was when he won the Yorkshire Cup.

He certainly has the best form in the race having finished 2nd to Yeats 3 times and 2nd to Septimus.

Patkai is the new kid on the block but his facile win first time out beating next to nothing and his victories at Ascot and Haydock alone don’t add up to making him fav for this years Ascot Gold Cup.

However, he’s such a good looking horse with a very good turn of foot, enormous potential, has won sone decent races, is trained by the maestro SMS and obviously the bookies are pricing him based on that plus the fact Yeats may not turn up.

Barry Hill’s Tastahil showed his best form to date when running over 13 furlongsfor the first time. He has had a string of places over shorter distances as a 4 year old but Hill’s is obviously of the opinion the horse is a stayer. It’s hard to judge how much improvement, if any, this 2 miles will bring out in him but he wont be an easy horse to pass judging by his last run.

Patkai normally doesn’t hit the front as soon as he did last time out but this looks a much better race.

If Tastahill sets out to make all or take it up a mile or so out of a decent pace he might take a bit off the edge of Patkai’s speed and that would suit Geordieland who has a ver high cruising speed.

If he is fit I think the race might be run to suit him and if he can keep tabs on Patkai and pounce late he could cause an upset.

If however the race is run at a slowish pace, Patkai will most likely destroy them all with a quick burst of speed.

8/13 is a bit skinng for me as this is the first decent race he has run in over 2 miles and he is beatable so I will not be having a bet.

He ran on very strongly last time out and he could be

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’m taking the view that Patkai is overrated and is a crazy price for the Gold Cup. He may well win this but he’ll be going up two grades taking on the best stayers in 3 weeks time including Veracity, who will improve massively for the trip.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Patkai’s form resembles 6 lb of swiss cheese stored in a colander.

Are you James Willoughby?!!!!! :shock:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It takes a ride of extreme artistry to get Geordieland to win any race at all, but I do believe that today’s chance – in terms of opposition, going, and distance – is much better than in most of his races in the past 3 years.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

On the small off chance that there is good pace here I think I’ll have a little e/w on Bulwark.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Can’t believe these bookies Patkai is now ranging between 5/2 and 9/2 for the Gold Cup. :shock: If Yeats runs I would take 20/1 win only about Patkai who I thought just about got that 2miles, but 2m4f at Ascot he’s got absolutely no chance.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

You are right on the price.

But if it comes up fast to say he has no chance, that could come back on you he certainly saves his best for the track and loves it there, you can’t rule him out.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Well, never really rated Patkai, and it was good to see him chinned on the same night as hindu kush won impressively in ireland. However I was really saddened to see Bulwark running so badly in this race, he was never travelling from the off, I love that horse and hope this was just a one off..

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

A stumbling performance from Patkai.

Ascot and a faster pace should suit, but clearly on last night’s evidence, the horse needs to improve. I was disappointed that he could not sustain his finishing burst.

Might I suggest tracking Geordieland next time round instead of vice-versa. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

And
    • Total Posts 8

As a non-better, I was pleased to see Geordieland put his best hoof forward after all the horrible things he was called last year. The Ascot Gold Cup should be interesting – it usually is!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.