The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Like the other 6 you’ve mentioned so far, you mean?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Isn’t it just best to completely disregard all Jonjo horses for betting purposes. Okay so the odd one will win and you’ll curse, but think how many times you’ll save yourself from analysing why something ran so badly, that the only explanation you can come up with is ‘Oh welll it’s Jonjo’.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I was wondering who would be the first to throw that in the mix dj :D

I do just that. Wonder how many winners have been anticipated before on Jonjos supposedly wily training patterns and have then lumped round the back of the field

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I was wondering how quickly you were going to follow DJ in there Clive, usual drivel from yourself and Mr Johnson. Its a grade 1 race, not a Class 5 seller at Sedgefield.

JohnJ

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

JohnJ,

The drivel is thankfully contained only within your post.

Let old dogs lie and grow up

And, i think you’ll find it’s a Grade 3, not a Grade 1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

And here was me thinking i was the only Albertas fan on the forum. Good to see others appreciate the potential that is waiting to be unleashed! I cant believe the prejudice against J.J,o-Neill some people have! If the horse is good enough so is his trainer! ,he has forgotten more than his critics know on here! I reckon Rory and Mounty have got Albertas run on their very short list for the bonus scoop 6 race if so good luck chaps i will be thinking of you!

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Thought we were discussing the merits of the horses entered in the Hennesy, not the merits O’Neill, so direct your old chestnut comments elsewhere.

JohnJ.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Correct JohnJ, there’s no way the merits of Jonjo as a trainer would come close to stretching to 8 pages.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

At least your funny DJ.

JohnJ

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

And your response to my post, getting back to the subject?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Can anyone here honestly say that they have more or even equal confidence in a talented animals chances of fulfilling its ability when it matters when its with JJ or with king, henderson or nicholls?

And the trainer IS a factor IMO

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

That must be why Albertas run is still 14/1 because his trainer cant train eh.In my book Albertas should be 6/1, because of all the reasons i have mentioned before! When i back a horse its because i am impressed with the horse, its nothing to do with who trains it!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

It is factored into the price in the markets and of course it would be shorter if with another trainer. But I wonder if it is factored in quite enough? Horse comes first of course but whos handling it and planning for it is vital.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Can anyone here honestly say that they have more or even equal confidence in a talented animals chances of fulfilling its ability when it matters when its with JJ or with king, henderson or nicholls?

And the trainer IS a factor IMO

ZZZZZZZ

Clivex,

Would you be laying AR on Saturday if he lines up, despite the merits of the trainer?

JohnJ

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Carvills i shall respond to your question. In my opinion J.J o-Neill needed to get a run into Albertas and basically through lack of 1- fitness, 2- bad ground, 3- way too short a trip he ran like a pig! Forgive him this once and you will see the real Albertas develop into a Gold Cup horse! He was entered for last years Betfred Gold Cup 3m 5f he will never run over 21/2m again! This horse was over the top when beaten by Big Bucks and all things being equal Air force one might get within 2l of Albertas if they complete!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I certainly dont lay 14/1 shots JJ

I will simply back against him. Hes looked like a good horse on occasions but the last bad run is more likely to be that as part of any masterplan

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Horrendous reappearances and the merits of his trainer aside, I can’t see a piece of form which entitles Alberta’s Run to win a handicap as competitve as this off 155.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.