The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3764

At the five day stage, Knowhere is now top weight and as the weights go up 16lbs, Island Flyer will have exactly 10st – all the runners will be in the handicap.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

I’ve just backed Island Flyer at 12/1. He’s going to sneak in with a nice weight when Fist’s fancy doesn’t run, loves Newbury, unexposed second season chaser, Badger Beer a recognised trial etc. I expect him to start a lot shorter.

The market has taken note Carvills, Paddy Power go 8/1 from 12’s, you’re having a bit of a Pricewise effect :)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Incidentally Grass Gareth and Carv just as matter of interest Don’t Push It is entered to run on Friday…..what’s the distance? 3 miles……..guess Jonjo is wasting his time as you guys must be right …he can’t possibly be wanting a trip :? and hey! please don’t all shout at me at the same time I hate it when that happens :wink:

To be fair, anything to do with the placement of Don’t Push It at this moment in time can easily be chalked up to desperation by connections. The horse is well and truly in the doldrums and if anyone can decipher a trip requirement from his last 3 runs I’d be very intrigued to hear their thinking.

mickeddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 104

At the moment for this race I have a short list of 4. They are:
    Dear Villez
    Always Waining
    Parson’s Legacy
    Island Flyer.
    Now we have the 5 day decs its worth looking closer. Thursday we should have the final decs but I would be surprised if the above don’t run. Of course the weather may have a say in all this.
    Mike.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Incidentally Grass Gareth and Carv just as matter of interest Don’t Push It is entered to run on Friday…..what’s the distance? 3 miles……..guess Jonjo is wasting his time as you guys must be right …he can’t possibly be wanting a trip :? and hey! please don’t all shout at me at the same time I hate it when that happens :wink:

Of course, that entry will be over hurdles, so I fail to see it’s relevance. I guess, therefore, that we were communally all correct in that Jonjo has seen the light, and realises that Don’t Push It’s Hennessy entry was a complete waste of time.

BS
    The Entries of Exotic Dancer and Don’t Push it and this is in the man’s own words were made due to the fact "you never know what the weather is going to do at this time of the year"…..Both would have run if their other races had been cancelled……shows me what you lot know about racing and how trainers think……assume all you want but you are 100% wong as the entries were made with the approval of SRO racing mangaer and Frank Berry……….man would last 2 minutes if you were correct in your silly assumptions.

Jonjo BTWill run Don’t Push It over 3 miles this season is what i said and where is he entered in a 3 mile race so cut yer crap and admit when you are wrong FFS

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Fist, please point out where I said that Jonjo wouldn’t run DPI over 3m?

I said my chin would hit the deck if he "stayed 3m, let alone the 3m2f of the Hennessy."

As far as I can tell, the jury is out on whether DPI stays 3m, because he hasn’t run over the trip as yet, so I suggest you keep your powder dry before you start with your customary "I’m right, everyone else is wrong" slaverings.

Try reading people’s posts before you run your mouth, and evidently tiny brain, off.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I personally think Air Force One is a very good bet for this, not very original, but no matter how often i look i keep coming up with the same answer.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

At the moment my shortlist is:

Air Force One – For obvious reasons
    Character Building – Pretty much same mark and weight as last year and there don’t appear to be any superstars (Denman) in here this year.
    Oedipe – Can’t ignore any Henderson runners at the moment, looks to be suited by a flatter track and Henderson has laid him out for this.
    Verasi – If its soft or worse this fella is in with a shout. Better ground though and I would leave him alone. He’s a slugger.

I just can’t get excited about the Nicholl’s runners and the recent stable form is concerning. It’s a wide open race to my eyes and worth punting a few.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

……assume all you want but you are 100% wong

That Gwasshopper is weally wubbing you up the wong way today eh ?

Bweathe and………..welax. :lol:

As it happens I would have a serious word with the racing manager of SRO as instead of banging Exotic Dancers head up a brick wall why doesn’t he enter it for a Grade 1 race in Ireland where he will more than likely get his conditions and have a better chance of winning which would surely do the horses confidence the world of good

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

SRO is apparantly as game as Dawn Run and will take on the best if he thinks his horse is good enough…..when you look at the Betfair Kauto coming back from his worst ever defeat at Aintree after losing in the Gold Cup..ED just fails to win a good handicap carrying top weight………to me despite the result he made the right decision.

The plan was if the Betfair had been lost to the weather he would have taken his chance in the Hennessy…….not my words BTW…….and why not Knowhere takes his chance and there wasn’t that much between them last time. Howver he doesn’t run and for Carvs record at no time did I say I was going to back him if he did………Charachter Building remains my choice along with a non runner who’s name I don’t need to mention. I substituted him with another EW bet on New Alco at 20/1 cos I’m an idiot

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

FoF – what does Jonjo think of Albertas Run – he’s short enough in the betting if he doesn’t fancy him.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Not a race I’ll be betting with too much confidence in but think I’ll do:
    Big Bucks 2pts @ 5-1
    Albertas Run 1pt @ 14-1
    Slim Pickings 1pt @ 16-1

Nicholls has been quite confident all along that this is the race for big bucks (even when denman was still in it), and I have him in my ttf line this year as a result so hopefully he can do something.

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

If it is a mudbath,I think Grasshopper has a very attractive bet with 150ish about Verasi.He may lack the class but you don’t need class in deep mud.

I agree with Peruvian Chief that Air Force One has a solid chance.But all his best form is right handed and that worries me a great deal.His trainer is not for me either.

I don’t think there is anything wrong in the Nicholls yard,he is just having one of those weeks which every serious punter on here has had before and will have in the future i.e doing the right thing and it going pear shaped.I think it’s called life.
    However,unless Big Bucks is a much better jumper than he was last year he will find this very tough and 4/1 is about the trainer rather than the horse.

Island Flyer Dear Villez and Albertas Run are my new shortlist.
    The first two may lack the class and for the third I have to assume a big improvement from Carlisle.
    Only price will now get me to bet on this race and single figures is too short for Island Flyer in a Hennessy.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Bahram – did you have mixed feelings same as me to see Jack the Giant prove his previous handicap marfk all wrong at Ascot? Must surely have gone close in the Padd Power.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

At the 5 day dec stage my shortlist is…

Air Force One (Respectable run at Ascot considering he needed the run. Should be on top form for this)

Snoopy Loopy (5lbs well in off the Old Roan mark and if declared he should be well up there off that mark – Placed in EVERY run through 2008)

Oedipe (The Henderson yard is in brilliant form and it would be foolish to write this one off in the shortlist)

Dear Villez (Token Nicholls runner and I prefer this one to Big Bucks at the moment)

I’ll re-review the card when the final decs are out but I’ll put 1pt antepost on Air Force One

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

Bahram – did you have mixed feelings same as me to see Jack the Giant prove his previous handicap marfk all wrong at Ascot? Must surely have gone close in the Padd Power.

It was frustrating especially as two miles is not his trip.But we will hopefully still have our day.
    I’m going to get all bold now and state that if Tidal Bay doesn’t go for the race and the ground is good on the day,Jack The Giant is the nap for the Ryanair Chase at the Cheltenham Festival.
    If he stays sound this horse will go right to the very top.

There you go,got it off my chest.
    Comments?

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

As you are fully aware i am a believer, but we will not get a double figure price about the horse off 151 in a handicap again until he is well on the way down mate. C’est la vie.

Sorry for digressing from the Hennessey to all others.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.