The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Character Builder finished 3rd last year and John Quinn was in no hurry with him stating he would be a much better horse this season. If he comes to himself over the next 2 weeks and gets in at decent weight I think he will be the one they all have to beat. The one problem I have is it may be a better race this year than last so EW may be the best policy with him.

The weights will tell us more so everthing should be kept on hold until known.

Nice trial from Character Building over timber sees him a best priced 8/1 for the race. I hope you had a bob or two pre the publishing of the weights FoF.

If I say I did Rory some one is sure to bite my head off :lol: I backed him EW mate but won’t win much if he wins. Reason being I have bet another horse which may cause a ripple or two on here :lol: .

I took 20/1 about Don’t Push It at the same time and he is and always has been my main bet for the race. I am taking the gamble he comes right, the ground suits and Jonjo will send him. He is adamant the horse needs further than 2m4f and shouldn’t be too harshly treated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Good luck with that one FoF ~ I would need a three figure price to back Don’t Push It, but I won’t knock a man who’s put his money where his mouth is.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

My mouth could be on the ground if he doesn’t run :lol:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

My chin will hit the deck if he stays anything like 3m, let alone 3m2f.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Really…….I think he’s a stone wall certainty to get 3 miles.
    He was running on like a tiger when getting up close home against Mr Pointment over 2m5f at Cheltenham in soft ground. Surely on his favoured good ground you would expect him to have an excellent chance of getting 3 miles over fences?

The fact he would probably have beaten Denman but for slipping on landing 3 out surely is another pointer to suggest staying further should not be a problem? and finally if you seen the way he ran on to lead in the last 50 yds at Chepstow when he beat Lead on you wouldn’t make a statement like that mate. He was just getting into top gear and if that’s not a pointer to a horse neeeding a bit further I don’t know what is.

To each his own G. Time will tell but I would love to hear your reasoning behind your 1 liner.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Fist, you are making a bigger fool of yourself every day that passes on here. You were tolerable last year because you had the nous to realise that there is more knowledge on here than you possess. FFS have the cop on to use this site to learn a bit and not to make yourself look a complete tit, which you are doing to good effect at present.

• Total Posts 2440

Fists, he wouldnt stay 3 miles in a horse box.

He has everything to prove too, especially at the festival, if he latter runs are anything to go by, when asked to improve, he has fallen twice in decent races.

He had good ground at Aintree, and look where he finished.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

He stayed at Aintree. He must have as he only got home yesterday. :lol:

Totally out of order Carv……..can’t believe your attitude mate……never said a bad word to you even if I thought you were wrong.

FFS lighten up and think before you type….Why on earth would Jonjo waste time and money entering him for athe Hennessy if he thought the horse had no chance of staying?

You’re a big hit for yourselves if you think you know more about a horse than the man who trains him. That’s all I have to say other than you can bet your life Jonjo intends trying him over 3 miles this season.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

deleted

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

the more i look out of the window the more i wonder about Halcon. Ok hes on 166 now. High enough, but hes realtively lightly raced and has shown that nice combination of guts and class. There are potentially some front runners in the race (Oedipe and Island) who would take them along and if its a bit sticky and a few burnt out….

Ground can be very unpredictable at this time of year and wont think of a bet until we know whats what

Big Bucks has yet to prove he jumps well enough to be 4/1. Cant get away with those mistakes in this race. Albertas last run was very poor, but we know how it can be with JJ’s

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

On his bare form Big Bucks is there to be shot at but like AOB on the flat PN scares the hell out of the bookies.

I can’t for the life of me see Big Bucks winning this but PN just keeps churning them out and betting against him is often costly.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Fists, he wouldnt stay 3 miles in a horse box.

He has everything to prove too, especially at the festival, if he latter runs are anything to go by, when asked to improve, he has fallen twice in decent races.

He had good ground at Aintree, and look where he finished.

I know he’s unlikely to run here as obviously it’s a huge leap but Jonjo has done crazier things in his time.

You say he wouldn’t stay 3 miles in a horse box Gaz but wouldn’t you agree that horses witha toch of class or even horses in gereral tend to want further when they get older or mature.

The fastest thing I ever saw on 4 legs was Dessie when he won at Ascot over 2 milies. I remeber John Francome saying he took off like a bat out of hell then quickend up.

If you had told John Francome that day that Deesie would end up winning a Gold Cup or an Irish National he would have thoughtyou were nuts.

I have my opinion and you have yours so leave it like that until the horse has run a few and then we will see who is right.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I was at Kempton the first time DO ran over 3m. Yes there were the same doubts as there always is, but he hadnt shown any real signs that he wouldnt stay (bit like Kauto). He relished it and lets face it he was a brilliant horse

But it only takes one run where there is a strong suspicion that the stamina isnt there for me to completely avoid backing

DO and KS never had that run. Dont Push it has

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I would have thought his run behind Forest Pennant was pretty inconclusive. He went out like a light at Cheltenham and they couldn’t believe it as he was working better than anything at home… a few bob went down the drain that day.

You have to think how many of Jonjos were running badly last season without explenation? Whatever was ailing the horses never came to light but too many for comfort were running way below expectations.

His run at Aintree despite being over hurdles was not down to the trip he was beaten too far out to say that. He simply ran like a cow.

It could be he is nowhere near as good as they think and if that’s the case then it won’t matter a hoot what trip he runs him over.

For the doubters on aht I said earlier this I copied and pasted directly of a Paddy Power article I just found on the internet

"Don’t Push It, who Paddy Power rates as a 10-1 chance together with Imperial Commander and Finger Onthe Pulse, could prove popular with punters as he could well be McCoy’s mount, but backers might do well to be wary as Jonjo O’Neill told Paddy Power’s roving reporter that "he probably needs three miles nowadays"

Paddy Power have been offering the longest price available for the PP and the shortest for the Hennesy currently 12’s Ladbrokes 20’s………probably means nothing as anyone who thinks they know what Jonjo will do next is dreaming. The going will dictate where the horse runs next.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Roll Along,

If you had a horse who would be second or third favourite in the Hennessey, wouldn’t you run?

They’d be crazy not to surely.

I will be surprised if they do not have a rethink, if they have not already. I see he is down to 19/1 (last price matched) on Betfair.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If Don’t Push It runs in the first 6 in the Hennessy I’ll bare my ass in the Lounge (virtually). Will most likely run in the Paddy Power anyway.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Roll Along,

If you had a horse who would be second or third favourite in the Hennessey, wouldn’t you run?

They’d be crazy not to surely.

I will be surprised if they do not have a rethink, if they have not already. I see he is down to 19/1 (last price matched) on Betfair.

Mark

He’s slightly worse of at the weights with Air Force One but reading the form he came with a strong run to beat him at Ascot…perhaps he of the two would be more suited by the extra distance. At the weights and his Carlisle run forgotten Alberta’s Run should beat them both but that race told us very little about his wellbeing….If the top two come out Charachter Building will benefit greatly and at the weights ..I’m sure Carv is correct and unless there is a huge downpour DPI will go to Chelters in which case I will have a bit more on CB as he seems to have come on a ton since last season and could be absolutely thrown in.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.