The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1415

What did everyone think of Albertas Run? ? ?

His jumping was quite poor if you ask me, and yes, the ground might have gone against him today, but that wasn’t a great performance from a ‘potential’ Gold Cup horse today.

I don’t think he’ll ever be Gold Cup class. I have him down as a decent stayer but nothing more than that. Wasn’t surprised by his run in the slightest.

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

Hands up AFO does go lefthanded on a flat track.
    Well done to the Pipe yard.
    The form is not great judging on the exposed winner and third.
    Doubt AFO is anything more than a high class handicapper.
    You never know though,
    High Chimes ran a good Welsh Nat trial.
    My Will has done connections proud.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

My Will’s shaped very well there. I was expecting him to travel nicely and blow up around the cross fence. I’ve taken some of the 42 on offer for the Welsh National.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I was on My Will. Did the commentator get him and Big Bucks mixed up?? Was cheering on wrong one as could have sworn commentator said My Will was big bucks and vice versa…
    Very well done to all connections. Great race!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Did anyone mention the winner on the 13 pages thus far?:?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I never got a thrill at any stage of the race. Huge dissapointment! cant blame the ground, certainly not the jockey,jumping was very poor,he has let the form down with Big bucks and Air force one, but unfortunately Madison du berlais is an exposed handicapper so i am even more dissapointed in Albertas Gold cup chances! I shall have a brandy (not Hennessey) and coke to drown my sorrows! then invest a bit more on Tranquil sea for tomorrows Drinmore! Never surrender!!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Did anyone mention the winner on the 13 pages thus far?:?

See both mine and Gaz’s posts on this page (13)

He was mentioned :wink:

Not beforehand mind..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • Total Posts 54

Andy Stewart’s not had the best of fortnights (by his standards), but I just wanted to make a couple of points. Of all the ‘high profile’ NH owners, he’s the one who impresses me most, and I was pleased to hear his wholehearted support of Sam Thomas after today’s race. Seems a genuinely good man, and I wouldn’t begrudge him any future success. Scandalous to think he only got his first, and only, festival winner this year!

Secondly, he can take a lot from today’s race. The day Big Bucks puts in a clean round of jumping, he will be a serious threat to 99% of the best staying chasers. Ridiculously talented, just still not a natural jumper yet. And My Will was absolutely terrific after such a long lay off, a horse I always really liked

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

John Francome sure talks some mince at times; well most times come to think of it.

After Tom Scudamore won today’s big race, a hyperbolic Francome proclaimed that he was now as good as his dad. :shock:

No John, he is not. :roll:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Ridiculously talented, just still not a natural jumper yet.

A pedant writes –

"still not a natural jumper yet"

Oh never mind.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • Total Posts 54

oh, woe is me. I wrote ‘yet’ when I shouldn’t have.

Thanks for your conrtribution Messiah

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • Total Posts 54

that’s obviously ‘contribution’ before you banish me to kingdom come, oh lord

Seebald
    • Total Posts 14

"John Francome sure talks some mince at times; well most times come to think of it.

After Tom Scudamore won today’s big race, a hyperbolic Francome proclaimed that he was now as good as his dad.

No John, he is not."

Francome was also champion jockey 7 times so he might be in a better postion to judge.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I guess he was just being nice; it must be rotten to live in the shadow of a famous parent..I’m really chuffed for Tom.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Francome was also champion jockey 7 times so he might be in a better postion to judge.[/quote

Some of John Francome’s so called informed judgements over the years have been dubious to say the least. I think he got a bit carried away.

Do you think Tom Scudamore (zero times champion jockey ) is as good as Peter Scudamore, eight times champion jockey ? I would hazard a guess that few racing fans would share Francome’s view.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Very good by TS but as good as his Dad? Yeah right Francombe looking after his old mates son perhaps?

In the race it’self Air Force one through it away as half expected he really is like an accident waiting to happen but what an engine!!! and CM was right he does seem to have improved. Very unlucky to those who backed him. Well done anyone who backed the winner.

Love David’s comment about Alberta’s Run being Jonjo’d really never looked happy on the ground which was always the fear. Good ground and he’ll be back with a bang,

Great run by Snoopy Loopy wiining and being placed in two big races in a short space of time, he must be tough as nails.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Well, AFO fans got their money’s worth.

I have to say, I have rarely seen a horse look in such rude health than him – absolute picture.

He ran a a cracker, but did fiddle the last 2 fences, I don’t think he would have won. Main “problem” is that he does not really quicken imho.

I am sure there are some time scouts out there who could enlighten me as to the sectionals at the end part of the race?

AFO appears to just gallop strongly throughout…but he would need more at the end of his race to trouble the big boys. At least he shows he stays which opens things up.

Albertas Run needs better ground, I wouldn’t discard him punting wise just yet.

As Gaz mentioned, Big Bucks is one of those “would he/wouldn’t he have won?” scenarios..

I believe he would have been second.

His jumping was very much like Aintree in April – sketchy.

At least next week’s big race should be easier for us all…..surely Master Minded won’t lose :P

Zip

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.