The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Big Bucks and Air Force One deserve their positions at the head of the market, but on a point of value Snoopy Loopy and Slim Pickings are my selections. Slim Pickings impressed against decent graded horses at Navan in the Fortria recently and Snoopy Loopy’s price is too big given his recent exploits granted he has hasnt had much recovery time.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

After watching the racing from Newbury yesterday it seems that you need to stay at least an extra furlong and a half to win and be more or less up with the pace throughout and not sure either of my initial picks Air Force One or Albertas Run necessarily fit that bill or will appreciate the sticky ground. So Slim Pickings looks the most likely based on his Grand National run where though not quite staying was a great effort. He reappearance run was more than admireable over an inadequate trip and the trainer certainly has to be respected with the few horses he sends over here. At much bigger odds but with speed, stamina and a bit of class to maybe sneak a place is Monkershostin from a Hobbs yard who have had some nice winners at this meeting.

bahram
    • Total Posts 66

So many question marks against all the main protaganists.
    It will,as usual be a great spectacle but is a no bet race,
    There is no value left in anything.

All you AFO fans-Do you really think the trainer has any idea what a
    TOP CLASS horse works like.I think he’s a dreamer.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Thats a bit harsh, Celibate was certainly more than decent and Air Force One has proved the previous 2 seasons he’s up there with the best of his category(stating novice hurdlers and staying novice chasers), whether he can step up is another matter, but it only takes one good horse in a yard to win big pots anyway, look at Noel chance who has won 2 Gold Cups when there was nothing else at the yard anywhere near either of them.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If there is any value left it might be Royal County Star- wouldn’t fit the profile of a typical winner but wants to go right-handed and trip should be perfect- 16/1 looks on the big side. May well trade a lot shorter in-running as a bonus…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I have a 100% record in the Hennessy.Don’t Push It NR New Alco NR Charachter Building NR no way am I betting another one would fall down going to post :lol:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

So many question marks against all the main protaganists.
    It will,as usual be a great spectacle but is a no bet race,
    There is no value left in anything.

All you AFO fans-Do you really think the trainer has any idea what a
    TOP CLASS horse works like.I think he’s a dreamer.

Too bloody right he has……….Considering he won a Grade one 110,000 euro race with him maybe he has a tiny clue to what he is doing. Horses only problem was his jumping if he is over that and improved as CM states surely he must have a fair chance. I must add I am not a hge fan but he is potentially a very good horse IMO

Anyway yo are writing without thinking…..Doesn’t take much to work out which are good at home any stable lad could tell you. No trainer knows how good they are until they run but once they do a good jockey will access thehorses potential for them as they are not the one out there…..So unless Noel Feilly is an idiot which he is not then Charlie will know exactly the strength of the horse….anyway what a boring sport without the Norton Coins 100/1 or the Hardy Eustaces and See You Then 33/1 winners both..initially dreams turned to reality mate.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Do you reckon Don’t Push It got the 3m yesterday, Fists?

8)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

CB was my TTF Hennessy horse :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

can’t believe it’s down to 15 runners…..

• Total Posts 2440

Well done to Madison Du Berlais.

Big Bucks’ jumping again not fantastic, especially down the latter stages of the race.

I got a run anyway, as i went with Air Force One, to win, who found the Pipe trained horse, better than him on the day, but i’m pleased with the way he ran.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Back in the field, Snoopy Loopy again almost sprinted the last few furlongs and ended up 3rd.

Nice bit of place money. I also had Air Force One for the win and am happy with his run.

Can’t take anything away from the winner. Great round of jumping and was just too good. Would Big Bucks have won if he didnt blunder at the last? Quite possibly. It’s a nightmare for Sam Thomas again – rode Big Bucks to perfection only to lose it at the last for the second weekend in a row

• Total Posts 1415

Thomas / Nicholls are having the same luck as me at the moment lol would’ve been close had Big Buck’s not banged the last. Thats the chance you take with a horse like him though.

Madison getting quotes for the Gold Cup. I’d want 100/1.

• Total Posts 2440

It’s another one of those, would he or wouldnt he have won, and again, i am in the ‘wouldn’t have won’, camp.

I just think he wouldnt have passed Madison Du Berlais.

Very nice to see Madison Du Berlais in the winners’ enclosure though, it’s nice to see the head girl who has been with him today :wink:

• Total Posts 1415

Back in the field, Snoopy Loopy again almost sprinted the last few furlongs and ended up 3rd.

Nice bit of place money. I also had Air Force One for the win and am happy with his run.

Can’t take anything away from the winner. Great round of jumping and was just too good. Would Big Bucks have won if he didnt blunder at the last? Quite possibly. It’s a nightmare for Sam Thomas again – rode Big Bucks to perfection only to lose it at the last for the second weekend in a row

Yeah nice to see some praise for Sam. He rode Big Buck’s perfectly IMO, great ride just luck not in at the moment.

• Total Posts 2440

What did everyone think of Albertas Run? ? ?

His jumping was quite poor if you ask me, and yes, the ground might have gone against him today, but that wasn’t a great performance from a ‘potential’ Gold Cup horse today.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He got jonjo’d. It happens to them all.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.