The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316
    • Total Posts 2440

Thanks for the link.

Charlie Mann is quite upbeat about the chances of Air Force One in the renewal this year i believe.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

2nd season novice chasers always appeal to me for the Hennessey Gold
    Cup! Albertas Run fits the bill perfectly!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Charlie Mann is quite upbeat about the chances of Air Force One in the renewal this year i believe.

Picks up pen and draws a line through Air force one…

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I was very sweet on Air Force One before Denman pulled out of this. Not so keen now that the 130-odd rated horses will be in the handicap proper.
    More encouraging that Mann is getting his first run out of the way at Ascot, however (he hasn’t went well FTO last 2 years). The flip side of that statement is of course that it means he’s trained by Charlie Mann.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Albertas Run isn’t 14/1 for the fun of it and probably won’t run. Jonjo said after Exotic Dancer was beaten by Knowhere he is looking forward to taking him on again in the Hennessy. Youcan bet that much depends on how Kauto Star performs today on where he ends up running.

Character Builder finished 3rd last year and John Quinn was in no hurry with him stating he would be a much better horse this season. If he comes to himself over the next 2 weeks and gets in at decent weight I think he will be the one they all have to beat. The one problem I have is it may be a better race this year than last so EW may be the best policy with him.

Air Force One is a nice horse but he always gives me the impression he is going to take one too many chances and end up on the floor or worse. He is like an accident waiting to happen and I don’t think I could sleep at night if I owned him. Wish him all the luck in the world but wouldn’t be carrying my money.

Big Bucks at 5/1 just does not appeal. He’s no Denman and you could easily get the same odds about him last year. I think the 5/1 shold be firmly pinned round PN’s neck as no way he would be tha short of trained elsewhere.

I would fancy Parsons Legacy who gave weight and a beating some decents sorts last time out. The only problem with him is he is terribly inconsistant and has never strung 2 wins togetherr in his life. However for me at the odds he could worth a bet. He is definately fit and his trainer knows the time od day better than most.

The weights will tell us more so everthing should be kept on hold until known.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Has Air Force One had too hard a race today to win the Hennessay?

May not recover in time.

At a National Hunt Preview meeting Kevin Tobin (attached to the yard) thought Air Force One had a goodish chance but regarded Big BuckS as very well handicapped and the one to beat.

At a West Berkshire Racing Club stable visit to Charlie Mann a few years ago I asked Kevin who he thought had most potential?

Answer: Air Force One and Moon Over Miami. Neither of whom had run over obstacles at that time.

Not a bad judge that Kevin Tobin.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Exotic Dancer isn"t 100/1 for the Hennessey for nothing! he will take on
    Kauto Star in the Betfair chase again, leaving Albertas Run to take his chance in the Hennessey and on form lines through Roll along and Air force one will take some beating!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

"GWILSON77":1gw42t6h wrote: Exotic Dancer isn"t 100/1 for the Hennessey for nothing! he will take on
    Kauto Star in the Betfair chase again, leaving Albertas Run to take his chance in the Hennessey and on form lines through Roll along and Air force one will take some beating!

Mate you are guessing whereas I am not do as you wish.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Albertas Run isn’t 14/1 for the fun of it and probably won’t run. Jonjo said after Exotic Dancer was beaten by Knowhere he is looking forward to taking him on again in the Hennessy.

Did he? When asked if he’d go to the Hennessy, Jonjo actually said he’d be given an entry but would be much more likely to go for the Betfair Chase. In reality, it will be Sir Robert Ogden who makes any such decision, so relying on what you hear, or think you hear, from Jonjo can be rather unreliable.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

FIST, if you look on Betfair you will see that yesterday as i stated Exotic
    was 100/1 for the Hennessy! i couldn"t resist a bit of that just incase he does run in the Hennessy even though i personally think he will have another go at Kauto in the Betfair the week before! Exotic is currently trading at 34/1 for the Newbury race! I shall be sticking to Albertas run even after that dismal performance today!

Scottf
    • Total Posts 53

Why would you be interested in a horse for one of the seasons most competitive races after it ran such a shocker last time out?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

if you have 100 and he’s trading at 34 lay it off!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Scottf, Very few horses win the "Reynoldstown" and the "Sun Alliance ch"
    in their Novice season! The form of which is rock solid ("Roll along")! that run today was not his finest by a long way but excuses can be made! 1st time out,wrong trip and ground and basically lack of fitness! what was apparent though is that this horse can jump and travel and come 29th Nov
    (4 weeks) you will see the high class animal Albertas run truely is and the fact that the Hennessey is an ideal race for top 2nd season Novices!
    Arctic call, State of play, Strong flow,Trabolgan,One man,Denman etc!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Cormack15, why lay Exotic off at 34 when i could lay it off in running at less than 5 should he run?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Because he won’t run.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Albertas Run isn’t 14/1 for the fun of it and probably won’t run. Jonjo said after Exotic Dancer was beaten by Knowhere he is looking forward to taking him on again in the Hennessy.

Did he? When asked if he’d go to the Hennessy, Jonjo actually said he’d be given an entry but would be much more likely to go for the Betfair Chase. In reality, it will be Sir Robert Ogden who makes any such decision, so relying on what you hear, or think you hear, from Jonjo can be rather unreliable.

I can assure you Jonjo said he was looking forward to renewing rivalry with Knowhere but then that was 2 minutes before someone aked what about the Betfair :lol:

He’s not entered in the Hennessy for the fun of it. Jonjo has Albertas Run entered in the Betfair and it likely to be a very small field. If he comes on from his run at Carlisle he would certainly be favourite to finish secind to Kauto Star. Exotic Dancer is in great nick and would run a blinder and could perhaps win the Hennessy whreas Albertas is far less likely to.

Of course SRO will have the final say but the facts remain ED has never beaten Kauto Star and is highly unlikely to do so now. PN insists the horse came back better than ever and he certainly looks as good as ever. For the stable plan A suits best but SRO would have to agree.

That’s the way I understand why the entries were made but if you know different I would love to hear about it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.