The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Helmac

Home Forums Memorials Helmac

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 602

It’s the first time I’ve ever written on this part of the forum, and thanks to Graysonscolumn for pointing it out. Rarely does horse racing make the daily papers in Germany, however, last week, the headline ‘Tod auf den Rennbahn’ (Death on the Racecourse) screamed out from the pages of Bild. Even more tragic, it was announcing the death of what was probably Germany best chaser in recent years – Helmac.

Helmac, like Amicelli, was trained on the flat by the south west based Ingo Schalter. Racing mainly on the local tracks, he managed a couple on wins but never really progressed past handicap status, winning twice in 18 attempts. Even when he moved to Christian von der Reckes yard in 2005, his form over hurdles was no more than respectable, failing to win a hurdles race in 6 attempts. In early 2006, Christian decided to send Helmac chasing. What followed was arguably the biggest ever success story in German steeplechasing.

Before Helmac had jumped a fence on the racecourse, his record was 2 wins in 26 attempts. This soon changed beyond belief as, one after another, Helmac would win steeplechases as he pleased, with none of his rivals able to deal with this bold front running horse, who had an ability to run his rivals into the ground. 2006 saw him win in Germany, Belgium and Italy, and by the end of the season, he had rattled up 6 wins in 6 steeplechases, three of these in the lake race steeplechase discipline to Hamburg and Bad Harzburg, which Helmac would go on to make his own. 2007 saw Helmac start off finishing second in a steeplechase at Krefeld, but as he had never won first time out, it wasn’t really a surprise. Two more wins in his beloved lake races were soon totted up before he suprisingly lost to his old rival Allegan in a lake race at Bad Harzburg. He was then a short head second in the 100,000 Euro Grand Steeplechase de Flanders at Waregem in Belgium before he took on the big boys in the 325,000 Euro Group 1 Gran Premio de Merano. He didn’t really do himself justice that day, and finished 8th of 15 runners.

This year saw him start off by finishing 3rd in a Listed steeplechase at Mannheim before he went on to contest Germanys richest steeplechase, the Iffezheimer Jagdrennen. We wanted a top jockey for a top horse, so Nina Carberry was flown in, and she gave Helmac a great ride. They came home 8 lengths clear of Rosenbrief, who himself had won the 2006 Gran Premio de Merano. The plan for the rest of the year was pretty much the same as last year – the Lake Races, the Grand Steeplechase de Flanders and the Gran Premio de Merano.

Unfortunately, Helmac never got to fulfill what could had been a superb season. Running in the Hamburg Lake Race, he was, as usual, well out in front and enjoying himself, when he came to the fourth last fence, crumpled on landing, broke his front left leg, and could not be saved.

I once commented to Christian that in my opinion, Helmac should have gone for the 2009 Grand National, and although he stated that the distance was too far, next years Topham/John Hughes trophy would have certainly been a possibility. We’ll never know how well he would have fared, but with his usually flawless jumping, I think he would have been a joy to behold as he flew over the Aintree fences almost Crisp-like.

OK, Helmac would never have challenged the Denmans and Kautos of this world, but in his own class, he was a superstar. One look at his form shows just much he improved for his switch to chasing:

Flat: 26-4531640041-433424
    Hurdles: 38-434-6
    Steeplechases: 111111-21128-31

Helmac was only an 8 year old, which isn’t that much in chasing circles. We proved with Fiepes Shuffle at Sandown that the top German chasers can live with the best handicappers England has to offer, and it’s a real pity that British racegoers will never get the chance to see Helmac – Germanys Lake Race Superstar.

Darren – AngloGerman

PS: If you simply type ‘Helmac’ into Youtube, you will be able to see several of his lake race successes.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

not only was he a great chaser but his swimming was pretty good too! how terribly sad, would love to have seen him..condolences to connections r.i.p.Helmac.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

A very fitting tribute to a horse that raised the public consciousness of steeplechasing (and in particular lake races) both home and abroad. Very many thanks, Darren, and of course, rest easy, Helmac.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

I am very sorry to hear of the death of Helmac – connections must be devastated at the loss of this horse. :(

Here was a horse who was transformed by steeplechasing – and I have seen film of him running in the lake races in Germany and winning – a true start in these kind of races.

RIP Helmac.

Luther
    • Total Posts 16

An extremely late reply but was checking through the runners at Baden this year to see if Helmac was making a repeat appearance and was saddened to read this post.

There was a crowd of us at Baden last Spring and the booking of Nina Carberry stood out like a sore thumb when we picked up the local racing papers on arrival in the town.

Helmac was quickly made the banker of the meeting with all of us having sizeable chunks on the German Tote. As Nina jumped the last, the chorus of ‘Whack the Helmac’ (to the tune of ‘Rock the Casbah’) may have been ever-so-slightly boorish and must have annoyed the locals but what the hell..!!

If memory serves me well, Helmac paid 3/1 on the Tote and covered a large percentage of the trip cost.

We will be there (in reduced numbers) this year but I’m sure it won’t be the same.

Fantastic memories – thanks…

• Total Posts 602

Hi Luther, welcome to the forum, and I hope you’re enjoying this years Festival at Baden-Baden!

Helmac was certainly a very special horse, and there will be a bit of a gap left in the big chases in Germany this year. You were right with the tote return – he paid exactly 3-1, mainly because Rosenbrief was backed down to the equivalent of 4-5, and it’s Rosenbrief who will be representing us in this years Iffezheim Jagdrennen, and our stable jockey Jan will ride. ‘Rosie’ always seems to run well at Baden-Baden without actually getting his head in front, but this years contest, whilst no doubt missing the quality of Helmac, is going to be a great race. Deesse d’Arabie is one to watch – I was talking to her trainer, Hartmut Steguweit, at Muelheim earlier this month (one of the nicest people I’ve ever met), and he thinks she might do quite well. There’s also a Swedish horse running which I know nothing about, but apparently, he’s not been beaten for four years! The ‘usual suspects’ such as Maxxwell, The German Herman and Allegan are also entered along with talented young pretender Supervisor, and, even without Helmac, I think it will be a great race, and the incredible ‘Horizon-Bank’ must be without doubt the most spectacular obstacle in racing!

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Luther
    • Total Posts 16

Thanks for the information Darren – most of the form in the newspaper and racecard is completely alien to me and it’s nice to have this sort of feedback.

Must admit, I was looking to back Rosenbrief this year but I imagine that the price will be prohibitive.

Yes, I remember the ‘Bank’ very well – we wasn’t expected the horses to climb that mountain..

We will be travelling out tomorrow morning, so will have the opportunity to take in 2 complete days racing. Must admit that I was not aware of the financial problems at Baden-Baden this year.

Disappointed that there is no UK/Irish interest this year (all the early entries have been pulled out) sure we will find some winners all the same.

Thanks again,
    Luther

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.