The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Heavyweight title

Home Forums General Sports Heavyweight title

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Davestamf
    • Total Posts 24

Kirk Johnson has pulled out of the fight with Lennox Lewis, and been replaced by – wait for it-  Vitali Klitshco. Anyone who saw Klitshco’s last fight will be giggling uncontrolably, and wonder if he will make it through the first three minutes.  I don’t think so.

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

I did not see Vitali’s last fight, but i am wondering wether you are perhaps mixed up between the two Klitschko brothers?

Wladimir was exposed badly in his last fight against Corrie Sanders, he was dropped 3 or 4 times before the ref stopped it during the second round.

Vitali is Wladimir’s older brother and that is who Lewis is fighting. I expect Lewis to win this fight quite comfortably, but it would be wrong to write of Vitali’s as a no-hoper. His KO record speaks for itself, 32 fights, 30 KO’s. He has never really fought anyone of note, other than Chris Byrd where he pulled out in the tenth round due to a shoulder injury. But he has looked impressive, he is a man mountain, and he is a bit of an unkown quantity. Just because Wladimir has a glass jaw does not mean Vitali also has a glass jaw, his punch resistance should be judged on its own merrits.

Personally, i cant wait for this fight. In my opinion it is the only real fight out there for Lewis right now. I am glad Johnson pulled out now that Vitali has been lined up. This makes for a much more exciting fight.

I think we may witness another Micheal Grant scenario here but i hope not, i would like to see the fight go a few rounds. I think Lewis will dominate here, i dont expect to many scares along the way. This should be a comfortable win for Lewis. <br>But, he is 37 now and has been inactive for over a year! You never know, he has been laid out twice before by Rahman and McCall unexpectedly. I cant see that happening here but then, this is boxing, this is what makes it exciting, you just never know!

<br>My prediction, Lewis inside 4

Davestamf
    • Total Posts 24

ALI

Thanks for that, I am indeed mistaken.  As you say, it’s still hard make a case for Vitali.

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Agree that this looks a more attractive fight, and I’m happy as I secured an evens bet with my brother about Lewis winning, and doubled it up with Sven Ottke to beat David Starie tonight, so I’m half way to a decent double! Will he pay up though?

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

The wizard—–can i have access to your bookmaker,even money Sven Ottka when the real price was 1-20!!.

We have all seen the fight now and i`m personally considering myself a bit fortunate to be collecting,whats with Lewis,this Klitschko is a real donkey and i expected he would bang him away fairly quickly,Lewis is finding it hard to get motivated!!

Did you see the fight Klitschko vs Byrd,he was totally outboxed and out manouvered——-i`ve seen all their fights and would say the younger Vladimir is technically much better than his brother despite being put away last time.

The Heavyweight division has become boring in my opinion!!

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

I agree Tony that Wladimir is the more technically gifted. But both mens chins were untested until recently, and Wlads proved to be made of crystal, where as Vitali showed last night that his is pretty solid. He took some big shots but just kept on comming.

I did not enjoy watching the fight last night, Lewis looked a shadow of his former self. He seemed to have no game plan and although i never thought he was truley hurt he looked absolutely knackered. His defense was rotten, he was almost allowing himself to be hit at times. His jab was almost non existent and his right hand was wild. That was not the Lewis we know!

It is impossible to say who would have won had the fight been allowed to go on, but i would have to have gone with Lewis. He was starting to get to Vitali and he landed his two best punches in the sixth round. He looked absolute’ly drained going back to his corner after the sixth, but Vitali looked in a far worse condition. It took Vitali around ten seconds just to get back to his stool!!!

I am certain there will be a rematch, i doubt Lewis will leave it at that. I think the key to Lewis winning is the straight right hand. Thats the punch that Sanders used to lay out Wald and i think if Lewis was to catch Vitali with a straight right it could be lights out for him. He caught Vitali with a couple of left jabs flush on the nose and he was visably rocked by them.

Lewis will definate’ly be in better shape for the rematch. He must get his weight down and i am sure he will. Its going to be a cracking build up, i just hope we see some of the old Lewis.  

I have to go with Lewis again, but i wont be confident.

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

Ali.

If they meet again i would go in big on Lewis,he will be more motivated,Klitchko is one dimentional and fairly easy to pick off.

They are saying the judges had Vitali 2 rounds up,i couldn`t see that,Vitali certainly won the second,Lewis must have won the 3rd and 6th,the 1st,4th and 5th didn`t have any clear winner!!

If the fight went on Lewis would have won!!

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

That is the thing Tony, most people thought Klitschko was one dimensional and that he would be easy to pick off, but he surprised alot of people at the weekend (myself included). Even though Lewis was clearly nowhere near his best, Vitali’s speed and awkwardness i’m sure would have caused a peak Lewis quite a few problems. <br>A smaller version of Vitali would be easy to pick of, but it is obviously the mans sheer size and physique that causes opoents problems.  

<br>I would need to sit down and watch the tape again to refresh my memory on the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds, but the first two without a doubt were deservedly Vitali’s, the third definate’ly goes to Lewis. I was to caught up in the action to score the remainder of the fight.

<br>If you have it on tape, take a look at the minute interval between rounds 3 and 4. Vitali’s cutsman really made a mess of that cut with the towel. He rubs it across Vitali’s face and rips the cut wide open. You get a great view of this. The cut was one of the worst cuts i had ever seen anyway, but it was made alot worse by that towel. Check it out!

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Anyone think that Lewis would have been inconvenienced by the fact that Johnson pulled out of the fight? He may have been expecting a much easier bout, then had to modify his training last minute to accommodate a different style opponent. His fitness did look questionable after such a long layoff though, especially as he was carrying so much weight.

Personally, I would like to see Lewis call it a day soon, retiring as champion when people remember him as the best. The only credible fight I see for him would be with Roy Jones…now that would be interesting……..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.