The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Greatest Gold Cup Winner (1929-73)

Home Forums Horse Racing Greatest Gold Cup Winner (1929-73)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

Who would win the gold cup if the race was run at cheltenham over the GC course and distance with all above horses in their peak. Golden Miller and Arkle are not included for obvious reasons and i have added a other column for any horses i have missed due to me not seeing them run because of the year they ran.

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

What ‘obvious reasons’?

Bit of a pointless thread, asking for the greatest Gold Cup winner between 1929 and 1973 and then leaving out two of the greatest steeple chasers of all time.

From the list – a close call between Mill House and Easter Hero but difficult to compare the two due to the two being nearly forty years apart, and the fact that in Easter Hero’s day the Gold Cup was simply a trial for the Grand National.

Pas Seul and Kerstin probably also deserve a spot on the list.

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

I have left Arkle and Golden Miller out because i am going to  do a greatest ever gold cup winner poll with all the winners of the other polls and Arkle and Golden Miller are obviously 2 of the greatest gold cup winners

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4559

It’s got to be Mill House who would probably have been remembered as the outstanding horse of the 60s and 70s if it hadn’t been for ‘himself’ getting in the way!

Have to agree with Happy Jack though. I can’t see the point of making up your mind that Golden Miller and Arkle are the best and then asking for a best of the rest.

For the record, I consider Arkle the best chaser I have seen during my lifetime.

Rob

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Of course Pas Seul should be in the list, and what are Fort Leney and The Dikler doing there???

And the really big name missing is Prince Regent – surely he would be in anyone’s all-time top 10.

Anyway, in the motley collection of animals presented for our inspection, Mill House is clearly the best. I actually saw this horse in the flesh when he finished 4th (receiving 3lbs from Himself) in the 1964 Hennessy, one of the most extraordinary races it has been my privilege to watch. I attended the race with my dad, who bought the Timeform racecard which eulogised Mill house as (and I can remember the exact words) "magnificent chaser, quite outstanding in appearance" – and he was all of that. He was a stupendous horse at that stage in his injury-plagued career – when he won that famous 1967 Whitbread under top weight he was but a pale shadow of his former self.

(Edited by Venusian at 7:28 pm on Mar. 1, 2007)

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4559

Quote: from Venusian on 7:24 pm on Mar. 1, 2007[br] when he won that famous 1967 Whitbread under top weight he was but a pale shadow of his former self.

(Edited by Venusian at 7:28 pm on Mar. 1, 2007)<br>

Which in itself probably tells what a good horse he was at his best.

<br>Rob<br>

Boye
    • Total Posts 19

Easter Hero, with Mill House next.

What on earth is The Dikler doing in there?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from Danny on 6:48 pm on Mar. 1, 2007[br]I have left Arkle and Golden Miller out because i am going to  do a greatest ever gold cup winner poll with all the winners of the other polls and Arkle and Golden Miller are obviously 2 of the greatest gold cup winners <br>

Yeah but Danny, i’m betting horses from the other lists will be in the greatest ever? Don’t understand your reasoning chief.

I vote Arkle…

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I think he believe it would be a certainty for this list so is holding it back.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

So is this betting without the favourite?! ;)

Whats the point in having a poll though if your not going to include all the key players? We should have captain christy and best mate removed from their respective polls therefore. Surely it would make more sense to include everyone then take the tope 2 or 3 from each poll and do a greatest ever?

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

It would make more sense just to say

1. Arkle<br>2. Mill House<br>3. Golden Miller/Pas Seul/Prince Regent/Burrough Hill Lad.

Best Mate can only be in the top ten if you put Cottage Rake in there too, ie only for multiple successes. When it comes to class he is quite a way down the list.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.