The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 896 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

i like tricky trickster after todays win, he did win around 4mils aat cheltenham too

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

If you’re liking Tricky Trickster after today; you gotta like Niche Market too!

That was a heart breaking loss… unfortunatley he’s still gonna pay for it dearly in the weights.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

They will both pay heavily in the weights.

The thing with Tricky Trickster however is that what he did today makes him a genuine GC contender. Two extra furlongs will suit too.

He will at the very least be in the high 150’s after this run and you suspect there is even greater improvement in him.

However, connections do intend to go the GC route and this together with what would now almost certainly be 11-6 and most probably higher in the National weights could put paid to his Aintree aspirations.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

yes niche market ive had on for a while, as he’s the one i dreamt would win the national

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Was Tricky Trickster accelerating at the finish or was Niche Market tying up? Feel sorry for NM’s connections because they haven’t won today and he must surely have more than 11st for the National now [doesn’t look the biggest of horses, either]. Don’t really see the logic of running him today at all, given that they must have assumed he had no chance of beating Denman. Have backed Tricky Trickster ew for the Gold Cup at 66/1 so was hoping for a big run from him today, and I wonder if they’ll risk such an exciting prospect in the National now.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Well, as Gabrielle once said………dreams can come true, and I consider her to be an expert on the whole subject!

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I found it strange running Tricky Trickster in this race as connections stated from the outset that they purchased him with the National in mind – an obvious target after winning the NH Chase (yet another superb advert for this great Festival stalwart of a race with the first two having both run in it). I believed that the plan was sto stick to hurdles until after the weights were published.

It seems to me that they have had a Big Buck’s moment with TT inasmuch that they have pitched him into the unknown (i.e. as they did with BB over hurdles) and he’s surprised them and now plans are being revised.

However asking a second season chaser to carry what will no doubt be a heavy burden over 4m 4f will be asking a great deal of this horse.

As for Air Force One – if he jumps like that around Aintree he won’t be doing it for very long.

• Total Posts 403

Was Tricky Trickster accelerating at the finish or was Niche Market tying up? Feel sorry for NM’s connections because they haven’t won today and he must surely have more than 11st for the National now [doesn’t look the biggest of horses, either].

Surely the fact that Denman fell should mean Mr Smith shouldn’t rate the race too highly.

NM’s jock used up too much of him trying to keep on terms with Denmam between the cross and mistake fences. It reminded me of Geraghty’s ride of Barber’s Shop in the KG. If he’d forgotten about Kauto he would have finished second for me. Same today really.

DomiDarko
    • Total Posts 6

Not sure why these two ran two days before the weights being announced. Will surely go up a couple of pound now, plus they both run at the festival. Not ideal.

My Blog: In search of the big win
    http://spankmydonkey.blogspot.com/

• Total Posts 223

NM will go up 2lbs. TT will stay on the same mark. IMO.

• Total Posts 4293

I’ve let this go elsewhere, but I’m not going to let it go by without comment on a thread I created.

Last year, Mon Mome ran AFTER the Cheltenham Festival. I didn’t bother having a bet on Comply Or Die until I saw how well he was going in the William Hill. The first three home all ran at Cheltenham, or in an equally arduous race afterwards.

In the New Era, 4 of the 16 GN winners have run at the Cheltenham Festival.

2007 Silver Birch
    2002 Bindaree
    1996 Rough Quest
    1994 Miinnehoma

Given that we’ve had quite a few Irish winners of the GN in that period, I think that is quite a good record for Cheltenham runners.

I think the point has to be made that some horses need time to recuperate between their races, whilst other horses thrive on their racing, or need a recent race to blow away the cobwebs.

Buckler has clearly said that he has no worries with taking a race in at Cheltenham.

• Total Posts 2184

Great stuff again out of old War Of Attrition giving weight away all round. The cheek-pieces look to have made a big difference. Be very interesting to see what kind of weight he gets next week.

• Total Posts 4293

Isn’t that bad news? Doesn’t it mean that he’ll go for the World Hurdle instead?

Or is it the case that the GN is Plan A, so long as the weight is okay, otherwise the World Hurdle is Plan B?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

Good display by WOPA but I suspect that’ll have put a few pounds on for the Grand National. I think they’ll wish that race was next Sunday instead of this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Isn’t that bad news? Doesn’t it mean that he’ll go for the World Hurdle instead?

Or is it the case that the GN is Plan A, so long as the weight is okay, otherwise the World Hurdle is Plan B?

I’m pretty sure that’s the case…

• Total Posts 4293

Very helpful Peter. I’ve posed two separate scenarios in two separate paragraphs, to which you’ve replied yes. :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Very helpful Peter. I’ve posed two separate scenarios in two separate paragraphs, to which you’ve replied yes. :?

How embarrassing :oops:

I meant the National being plan A and the World Hurdle being plan B….

Viewing 17 posts - 222 through 238 (of 896 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.