The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15012

Gord,

Course Hunter was going very well when he fell 4 out in the 87 Topham.

He then all but fell when right there, at 2nd Bechers before finishing unplaced in 88 National.

Unlucky horse.

• Total Posts 15012

Hopefully Synchronised will take it’s chance, would add some interest to a very uninspiring list of entries at the moment.

Added a couple of others yesterday to Seabass, and Arbor Supreme.

Midnight Chase @ 100’s to 140’s, can’t see him lasting home with that weight, but he’s going by the look of things, and if he does, he won’t be that price on the day, and indeed, the days leading up to it.

Psycho @ 300’s to 450’s. Who knows what they’ve got planned for this one, and (very) hard to fancy, but liked those odds.

Ballyvesey @ 1000’s. Touch and go whether 40 line up, and this guys right down the bottom. Likeable horse who in all reality won’t be there at the business end if he makes the cut. He may have been beaten a good way in The Becher, but he ran on to finish 3rd, and 1000’s for a horse who finished 3rd in that is too big. I think.

Still Seabass for me though.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

K;Please don’t say TS has tipped Sunnyhillboy! I only decided last night that he was the horse that had been staring me in the face since weights day but haven’t got round to backing him yet.

• Total Posts 1217

Hopefully Synchronised will take it’s chance, would add some interest to a very uninspiring list of entries at the moment.

Midnight Chase @ 100’s to 140’s, can’t see him lasting home with that weight, but he’s going by the look of things, and if he does, he won’t be that price on the day, and indeed, the days leading up to it.

Psycho @ 300’s to 450’s. Who knows what they’ve got planned for this one, and (very) hard to fancy, but liked those odds.

Ballyvesey @ 1000’s. Touch and go whether 40 line up, and this guys right down the bottom. Likeable horse who in all reality won’t be there at the business end if he makes the cut. He may have been beaten a good way in The Becher, but he ran on to finish 3rd, and 1000’s for a horse who finished 3rd in that is too big. I think.

I too like Seabass venture, but will Ruby choose that over PDB? It’ll be a tough one.

My shortlist at the moment is:

Seabass – a horse on the up in Ireland, running style will suit and promises to stay

Cappa Bleu – good form this season, has a touch of class and good jumper

Calgary Bay – as above, this has been the target for some time

• Total Posts 1217

59 left in at forfeit stage, including Synchronised and Midnight Chase.

It was announced on ATR yesterday that Syncronised had been taken out and would not run, after which he was backed/laid at up to 150 :shock:

Odd, just read on RP that Jonjo was keen to run him…

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

I too like Seabass venture, but will Ruby choose that over PDB? It’ll be a tough one.

My shortlist at the moment is:

Seabass – a horse on the up in Ireland, running style will suit and promises to stay

Cappa Bleu – good form this season, has a touch of class and good jumper

Calgary Bay – as above, this has been the target for some time

I see both of you likes

You´d think he´d be a good type for Aintree but that race is a law onto itself

plus the race were he actually got 4th place or better in a chase of 3 miles or further looks weak.

• Total Posts 15012

Don’t think Ruby will be a serious option Rich, I’d be expecting Katie to ride him, which is fine by me. Being a female, some of her rides tend to get "slightly" over-hyped, but that’s not her fault. She’s decent enough, and her ride on Seabass at Leapordstown in January was
    worthy of praise. That was a good day.

Of your other 2, I was on Cappa the other day, and thought he should have won. He wasn’t knocked about though, so encouraging for you. He’s not really for me in The National but good luck with him. On the day I’ll back his pal State Of Play. I normally try to avoid backing horses which have ran in The National before, but it’ll be the 4th year in a row I’ve backed him.

As for Calgary Bay, well, gotta love him, just a very, very good horse. Still overpriced at 25’s I reckon. Hmmmmmmmm :shock:

Agreed RR, he doesn’t look the most obvious. However I’d take the trainers comments with a pinch of salt. I see him (hopefully) as either a Papilion type; effective at a variety of trips, or a Montys Pass; not tried regularly at 3 miles, but no obvious signs that he wouldn’t stay either. He’s got a lot to prove, but I remain hopeful.

What I am happy with is the fact that despite what the trainer says, he’s clearly been targetted for it, and that’s the first thing I look for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Have just had a very speculative tenner on Roulez Cool @ 220/1. Is as low as 25/1 with the high street bookies.

It runs in a hunter chase tomorrow, so hoping it runs well there and gets confirmed for the big race

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I backed Roulez Cool at 40’s assuming that Sam would want a ride in the National which made him certain to run

. Also had to have a bet on Calgary Bay [yet again; alas, he only seems to win when I don’t back him]. By the way VtoC…I didn’t back Ballyfitz on Saturday; this is what happens when I don’t back a horse that has had my money on him for many years. Will this be the first year that I don’t back State of Play and have to watch him win?

• Total Posts 15012

Oh don’t start me Moe, that was a hard one to take on Saturday. I ditched him for Another Palm, deserved all I got. As for State Of Play, think you should have a wee pound each way on him on the day………………….just in case.

• Total Posts 1508

Moe, I’ve been plastering

Sunnyhill Boy

over this place for the past month now at 40/1 too…….and you still haven’t backed him! Mark my words ‘Tom

the

Seagull’ will pinch the crumbs from my table as per usual! 8)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Thought of Sunnyhillboy as more of an Irish National horse, and was trying to back horses that I thought were certain to run. Then, of course he’s had a couple of falls. But I’ve followed him for a few years now, going back to his hurdling days. And still haven’t been to W Hills with my money. The way things are going, my horse for next year, Smoking Aces will be running as well,albeit from way out of the handicap. even Vic Venturi might still run, and I’ve backed him for years..a;ong with Arbor Supreme. The list is endless. It’s called Ballyfitz syndrome….

Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

I backed Roulez Cool at 40’s assuming that Sam would want a ride in the National which made him certain to run

. Also had to have a bet on Calgary Bay [yet again; alas, he only seems to win when I don’t back him]. By the way VtoC…I didn’t back Ballyfitz on Saturday; this is what happens when I don’t back a horse that has had my money on him for many years. Will this be the first year that I don’t back State of Play and have to watch him win?

roulez cool unseated his rider at chelts was 4th today

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

im going to sound like ginger mccain :oops: but the only thing putting me off seabass, is lady jockey

vf

• Total Posts 1217

Adding Ballabriggs to the shortlist, think he will definitely place if getting round so 16/1 looks sound each way value.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

After filtering all the current entries through my foolproof National winner system; i found myself left with no less than 26 horses… far too many! I added another three things to look for in the definitive list of criteria and am now down to 15… still too many! I haven’t backed all of these (backed those in bold), but all i can tell you is that the winner is in this list… SOMEWHERE!(?)

Midnight Chase

Neptune Collonges

Chicago Grey

According To Pete

Always Right
    Rare Bob
    The Midnight Club
    Sunnyhillboy

Killyglen

Le Beau Bai
    Swing Bill

Giles Cross

Vic Venturi
    Abbeybraney
    Saddlers Storm

Always Waining and Postmaster have entries that COULD get them onto that list depending on their performances. So we’ll see on them.

Just want to say about Calgary Bay that he has got the National written all over him, however it’ll be his first run since January which is just too long for me. Love this horse to bits, but you want a horse who’s had a run in February or March.

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Giles Cross won’t get 4 1/2 miles.

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.