The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33014

9 of the 40 runners :shock:

Anybody else here use the blunderbuss tactic or do people prefer just the 1 pick in what is still the biggest lottery in racing?

I once backed 11 horses SBerry. Taking a combined price of 11/10 about (on the day) a 4/6 chance. Although some were main bets, some half bets (to win half my usual profit) and some savers. If I remember right a "saver" won (broke even).

Normally I don’t mess around with each way in the National, when you get back a quarter for first four in a 16 runner handicap it’s fair value, should be better than a quarter for 40. More than one win bet gives better value than splitting a stake for each way betting.

However, to be truthful think I overdid it a little bit :lol: . By backing 11 horses I was having saver bets to win back what I’d lose on other saver bets. :roll:

8 horses is about my limit these days. Already backed four. Niche Market 33/1, Cappa Bleu 33/1, Prince De Beauchene 10/1 and Ballabriggs 18/1. (Combined price so far 4/1)

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33014

In spite of being an Irish National winner given a brilliant ride, Niche Market has shown repeatedly that he does not truly stay in marathon chases. He has been seen travelling strongly in the last two Grand Nationals but flattered to deceive.

He has further proved this at Newbury and Aintree.

– AON Chase: went jelly-legged and squandered a big lead after the last.

– Hennessy: good run, but ‘kept on’ only as well as non-stayer Barbers Shop, only matching strides with that horse up the home straight.

– Veterans’ Chase today: victory seemed to be there for the taking, especially after Marufo blundered. Didn’t find as much as seemed likely.

– Becher Chase: travelled best, but could not respond to West End Rocker. Heavy ground a valid excuse on that occasion, though.

The comments today that he ‘would stay five miles’ just seemed a little misleading.

There’s a possibility of not getting the last half mile. But as you say TYF, Niche Market hasn’t always found a great deal under pressure. At distances as short as 3 miles (Aon). So imo the evidence suggests his disappointing last few furlongs at Aintree is more to do with idling or possibly giving his all before pressure is applied – than "not staying".

Although 2 out yesterday Niche Market was travelling the better, always thought it wouldn’t last. In the end I was encouraged by the amount he found off the bridle. Just wish Ruby was on him at Aintree! Niche Market has a lower mark than last year and hopefully that will help.

He is one you might think of backing to lay. Back him now at 25’s and then put in a saver in running bet for people to take at say 4/1. Simples.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

There’s a possibility of not getting the last half mile. But as you say TYF, Niche Market hasn’t always found a great deal under pressure. At distances as short as 3 miles (Aon). So imo the evidence suggests his disappointing last few furlongs at Aintree is more to do with idling or possibly giving his all before pressure is applied – than "not staying".

This is my impression too after the Aon Race won by Tricky Trickster, I even tried telling the owner that.

I did notice that Ruby did try and keep him just off the lead, but according to race reports he did niggle at him.

Perhaps Blinkers could help him.

He is one you might think of backing to lay. Back him now at 25’s and then put in a saver in running bet for people to take at say 4/1. Simples.

Unfortunately Betfair goes into meltdown during the race so any backing to lay has to be done before the race,

WELL BEFORE

:lol:

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Thought it was an encouraging run from Niche Market. No strong sign of deterioration at eleven and a much more workable mark this year give me some optimism. Wouldn`t expect him to be too short a price on the day if Skelton is on board.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

nichemarket out

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 33014

:cry:

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Gutted. I did not fancy Niche Market to win, but he is an admirable horse still doing well at 11 and surely would have been in the first half dozen. Would have played a big part in the race no doubt.

His owner’s ambitions revolved around the Grand National. Losing the last chance to run the horse at Aintree near his peak must be a bitter blow.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Looking like a field full of first timers. We usually get around 13 horses returning from the previous year, but it’s looking like the 6/7 mark this year.

Intriguing! :D

• Total Posts 1217

Liking Ballabriggs more and more now – proven quantity.

Cappa Bleu, Prince De BEAUCHENE and Chicago Grey for the places. I love Calgary Bay but can’t see it winning.

ABBEYBRANEY for a speculative selection. There’s talent there somewhere!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

Massini’s Magurie also out

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

ABBEYBRANEY for a speculative selection. There’s talent there somewhere!

He’ll need Willie Mullins and Dessie Hughes’ stables to burn down for him to have a slight chance of getting in. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2272

updated 7th march niche market and Massini’s Maguire removed

vf

• Total Posts 1217

……Where’s my matches?….(joke).

Only needs another half a dozen or so to come out!

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Thought it was an encouraging run from Niche Market. No strong sign of deterioration at eleven and a much more workable mark this year give me some optimism.

Optimism….. I`ll never learn.

I`ll be more pessimistic than Tim Forster from now on.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Such a shame about Niche Market. I didn’t give him a chance earlier in the year, but he had shown grand improvement, especially for a horse of 11.

He had proved so sound all year, and it looked like a tilt at this years’ race could finally be his year, his low weight being a massive bonus.

His owner was hell bent on a National win, and unfortunately, he’s probably just lost his last chance with this horse. Great shame as I thought he had another good race in him.

Cappa Bleu is still the one for me though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

Such a shame about Niche Market. I didn’t give him a chance earlier in the year, but he had shown grand improvement, especially for a horse of 11.

He had proved so sound all year, and it looked like a tilt at this years’ race could finally be his year, his low weight being a massive bonus.

His owner was hell bent on a National win, and unfortunately, he’s probably just lost his last chance with this horse. Great shame as I thought he had another good race in him.

Cappa Bleu is still the one for me though.

Graham has retired Niche Market to Nick Skelton Stable, a gift to Harry who rode him the most.

Niche had a small tear in his tendon.

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.