The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Graham Cunningham

Home Forums Horse Racing Graham Cunningham

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

If he had to live off his own selections he would go skint in a month.

When he is discussing a Horse he knows its Form, Class, Timeform Rating, Collateral Form Lines, OR Rating, what it had for breakfast and if it cleaned it’s teeth.

But he still can’t pinpoint enough winners at value prices because he, like most of these so called experts, are so busy delving deep into the form lines and trying to give valid reasons for their emotional selections, they miss the most obvious fact of all.

No. The reason no TV presenter will ever make long-term profits is because they don’t have the time to analyse properly as they already have a full-time occupation (see my response earlier as to why I believe tipping winners is irrelevant for pundits). Furthermore, they don’t get to choose the races they tip on.

Despite this, GC knows more than most punters and vastly more than most racing presenters.

Mike

What’s Cunningham’s full-time occupation? As far as I am aware like so many in the industry he just has his fingers in as many racing pies as possible. This enables him to comfortably support his failure as a tipster. I think the point originally made was correct.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

What’s Cunningham’s full-time occupation? As far as I am aware like so many in the industry he just has his fingers in as many racing pies as possible.

Quite. Racing journo/presenter is his full-time occupation. Don’t understand why anyone would think you would have to be a profitable gambler to be a TV presenter.

As I say, the two are almost by definition mutually exclusive.

Mike

wwweeerrr
    • Total Posts 20

Saturday: Sandown LORD OF THE HOUSE hacked up at 12/1. Have a look at it’s last race where it hacked up on similar ground at the same trip. The trainer booked a great apprentice and it ran with 10-4 at the bottom of the Handicap. Not one of your experts even mentioned it. Good! better price for me.

Today at Plumpton..De Blacksmith w 9/2 …only just this time but had won easy previously. "He’s carrying a penalty …can’t win with that!…Oh really?

Yeah, SATURDAY: Monbeg Dude w 10-1 then Loyalty w 12-1 and Putin w 10-1. What a day!!

Then SUNDAY: Romney Marsh w 12-1 and Beneficial Spirit w 10-1. What a weekend!!!*

Mike

*Note: I didn’t back any of these, I’m just reading the prices out really…

What a pity as I DID back Lord of the House and De Blacksmith!!

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

betlarge is correct, being a tv presenter and a successful tipster are two different things.

you could make the point that newspaper tipsters don’t do that well to a level stake because they often have to put up a selection in every race, but does that explain why in the racing post naps table (their best selection of the day) the vast majority of them are down to a level stake?

perhaps its because most of them just aren’t that good. after all if you are a highly successful punter why would you need to be a journalist in the first place? :shock:

I realise there are exceptions like tom segal, but really the racing media is just a gravytrain like any other.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Cunningham is not a presenter and never will be. As an analysist/pundit he is attempting to steer viewers in a certain direction and as such it is worth pointing out his record as a tipster.

• Total Posts 469

As a pundit the acid test is surely does he pick winners, unambiguously and before the race, better than following the favourite or Spotlight? Let’s wait and see; if he is good at picking the winners I say he can be as smug as he wishes!

Not for me. I have no interest in whether he can ‘pick winners’ or not (do people really sit at home waiting for some C4 presenter to tell them what to back??).

I’m far more interested in hearing him ‘set the scene’ for the race in general terms.

Mike

Exactly Mike,
    From what I’ve seen on RUK Cunningham knows the make up of a race. Who’s likely to lead, will it be a soft lead or contested, who races mid-div or held up, above all who the likely pace is going to suit. Knows the form book, soft or firm ground horses and how stamina/speed will come in to it…

Francome has limited knowledge of all the above, so there was little point Jim asking difficult form questions. In my opinion Francs should’ve been used as the jockeys-eye view, not a foil to a form expert. May be (at the moment) he’d still be better than Fitz, but latter has potential.

With two form students – yes McGrath and Cunningham will agree sometimes but by no means every time. He also tips "value", so should not be judged on how many "winners picked" Aji. Sure to go against the one with the best chance of winning if thought poor value.

I would suggest neither of you are the main target for C4 racing and both of you could do as good a job as Mr C of working out the make-up of the race. Yes, many people do watch the morning line and the afternoon racing and back what the pundits tell them. They also watch the adverts in between and buy what they are told – it’s the whole point of commercial TV!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33013

As Mike pointed out Stilvi, pundits need to tip in every race they analyse, bound to be more selective in their own bets. A "tipster" will rarely make a profit if he/she is not allowed to decide which races to tip in.

Value Is Everything
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

wwweeeerrrr – while not casting any aspersions on your honesty I’d like to point out that any claims of profitable winner-finding made AFTER THE EVENT on here are, quite correctly, likely to be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

theres a whole thread on the antepost forum devoted to such musings, its called the aftertimers thread :wink:

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

on the betfair forum I should have added :shock:

Viewing 10 posts - 35 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.