The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gordon Elliott

Home Forums Horse Racing Gordon Elliott

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 946 total)
  • Author
    ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3405

Ruby, why do you keep saying NH racing will be gone because of this, it wont, its the dumbest thing about this thread, honestly, what are you talking about…. theres been FAR WORSE things than this happen.

Goodness, absolutely clueless.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9201

Being reported that Betfair have dropped Elliott from their team of ambassadors.

And so it begins for him, he has brought it on himself but you do worry for him. We all make mistakes, sometimes big ones and this was a big one. Hopefully he has good people to turn to.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

I cannot help thinking Elliot is finished. Betfair have pulled their association with him this morning.

Mike

shipithollabolla
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 129

Thank goodness for ham – think he’s the only sensible one among you.

It does make you wonder sometimes. Why am I in this sport when 95% of its followers and participants are such numpties?

L’enfer, c’est les autres.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

His excuse is a joke, it’s even worse than Oisins blow*** lie. If you try to kid the public with this, you won’t do the sport any favours. It would be good enough for Little Britain, but that’s it….

Already having a laugh about it….

Participant
    • Total Posts 8194

No need to make personal comments, Ship. As far as I can see, most posters here are concerned about the image of racing, that’s all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3813
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

I wonder whether it’s within the purview of the BHA – it’s certainly in their interests – to announce an immediate ban on Mr Elliott’s horses running in the UK?

That may seem like a hasty and indeed slightly aggresive act from a foreign jurisdiction, but I cannot see any way that it would be acceptable for Elliott to be entering/winning races at Cheltenham this year.

I’m still not sure that some in racing have fully grasped the scale of this. Comparing it to other incidents in the past is irrelevant – this will have massively more traction and do vastly more damage to racing’s already precarious reputation.

The authorities on either side of the Irish Sea should remove Mr Elliott from racing forthwith. If that means the end of his career, then that is harsh and very unfortunate. But it would at least give the sport at least something of a moral leg to stand on in the face of the avalanche of disgust and censure that’s about to come it’s way.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

This has to be massively concerning for Gordie, i reckon his shedloads of owners wanting horses with him will dry up.
    I reckon CPS will pull their horses myself. ROBCOUR has liked a tweet backing GE, so he doesn’t look to be leaving and is a huge owner in Ireland these days.
    I think it’s so distasteful what he has done and when i first saw it i couldn’t believe it was true. Terrible.
    However, the punishment shouldn’t be too harsh and everyone is going slightly overboard. The main issue is with racing’s image. Byrnes has done much worse with his actions, albeit “unproven”.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Whilst in no way condoning what Elliott has done, I’m more interested in the motivation behind it.

It’s generally accepted this happened sometime ago, which means someone, somewhere has been sitting on this photograph.

Was it was never intended to be released, which begs the question why was it retained?

Has someone acquired the photograph from whoever took it and decided to “do the right thing”?

Or has someone been sitting on this photo, waiting for the right time to cause maximum damage to Elliott / racing in general?

As I say what Elliott has done cannot be justified in any way but the interesting point is “why now”

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Whatever your personal feelings (and mine are that if the world’s ills were confined to numpties sitting stupidly on dead horses I’d be delighted) it’s the long term damage of the image, as Triptych says.

It’s hard to make a billboard picture from a TV screenshot of Russell punching a horse. You could make a massive one of Elliott and put it all over Cheltenham in March or Liverpool in April. Racing’s only possible reaction if that kind of thing happens is, ‘we took away his license to train immediately’.

That needs to happen in the next couple of days for it to be effective. Again, for clarity, whether that would be justice or not for Elliott as an individual is subjective. I’m not advocating it personally, but if I was CEO of Irish Racing he’d be gone by midnight.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Paul, I’m told the pic came from ‘a woman scorned’, one who is well known in Irish Racing. And the situation in which the ‘scorn’ happened was even more compromising for Elliott, legally.

The source of that story has been reliable in the past although I do not know him personally and cannot vouch for its credibility, although I believe it is now being talked about – with added pictures – fairly openly on WhatsApp. At least one twitter account with the woman’s name has been created.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5971

I still cannot believe it. Very powerful interview with Mick Fitzgerald just now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

Wow, very emotional and very well addressed, Mick.

That’s the point some on this forum seem to neglect.

“Well, it’s just a dead horse, nothing wrong with that.”

Apparently there is something wrong with it….

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

No question whatever that Fitzy believes very deeply in what he is saying, but that message sounds like a briefed one. Who briefed it, I don’t know – the BHA would need to be favourite. Don’t be surprised to hear the same core message – we love our horses – from all UK and Irish press. And that further cements my belief that Elliott is finished.

Participant
    • Total Posts 722

Joe, would this woman who is well known within Irish racing be the daughter of a Gold Cup winning trainer?

Participant
    • Total Posts 16398

100% Ruby..
    Well said Mick who obviously appreciates that without these horses he would have had no career, shame that Elliott couldn’t see the damage that would be done to the sport with his stupidity and uncaring actions.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 946 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.