The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Good Luck Kauto Star!!

Home Forums Horse Racing Good Luck Kauto Star!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 811

Big Buck’s was amazing yesterday – come on Kauto you can do it today!! But most of all come home safe!!! (and all the others too!)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Don’t think he will win, but hope he runs well and comes home in one piece! Good luck Kauto!

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Kauto Star – Good luck sweetheart but more importantly have a safe race and come home safe and sound in your horse box.

Safe journey for all the other horses too

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Kauto looked a little stiff behind to my eyes as C4 showed him walking back.

Edit: Nicholls just tweeted that he is "FINE" but "obviously something tweaking him".

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

Turned on the TV just in time to see the old guy pull up, kind of put a damper on the rest of the race. :( Not to take away from Synchronized’s performance, of course.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

To be honest, once I could see that Ruby was just walking back on him and he seemed OK, I STARTED to enjoy the race. Far too much pressure with Kauto in it, I could hardly watch. Brilliant race in the end and terrific to see AP win. :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Turned on the TV just in time to see the old guy pull up, kind of put a damper on the rest of the race. :( Not to take away from Synchronized’s performance, of course.

Have to agree, today has been a massive anti-climax. Obviously am really pleased that Kauto Star is in one piece and that AP gave the winner an excellent ride but can’t help feeling rather deflated right now

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Clive Smith says he is 90% sure that he wants to retire Kauto Star, unless others can put forward a good case to the contrary.

There is only one decision to be made. The great horse has more or less told you that it’s pipe and slippers time.

Retire the old boy now !

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

Clive Smith says he is 90% sure that he wants to retire Kauto Star, unless others can put forward a good case to the contrary.

There is only one decision to be made. The great horse has more or less told you that it’s pipe and slippers time.

Retire the old boy now !

I don’t think he wants to go straight into a field somewhere, though. Make him a foxhunter, maybe a low-level eventer or just a showhorse. Something to keep his legs limber and his mind working.

If you saw my other thread on Flatterer, what kept him in good shape at 33 years old was his years of dressage training.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2276

i heard denman was going into and actve retrement when recovered, maybe kauto could follow him

vf

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Retire the old boy now !

Let’s not forget that Kauto Star took a tumble only 2 weeks ago. That takes more getting over at his age.

Before that he was enjoying his racing, and winning, as well as he ever had.

I say give him a good summer off, and then see what HE wants to do. Some horses don’t want to retire. I’m sure a trainer as good as Paul Nichols will be able to tell what he wants.

Many people have said they don’t want to see him in lower value races at smaller courses. Why not? If it makes him happy just to still be running? It would certainly bring in the crowds!

People would flock just to see this fabulous horse, wherever it is, and if it seems he still gets enjoyment from running why not? Some horses can still turn in a good performance at 13,14, even 15.And even if they can’t win, who cares so long as they are enjoying it?

The main thing now is to do whatever the great old boy wants to do. He has earned the priviledge to choose.

Go and have a good rest you fabulous fella.See what you think about idle retirement and tell us what you want. Whatever, we will love you forever.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16970

Sitting watching the Gold Cup on the sofa with my hands over my eyes, my friend was giving me a running commentary as Kauto Star jumped each fence, then I heard that Kauto was dropping back in the field and ventured a look, quite anxious as Ruby took him over another jump.
    At last he made the decision to pull him up and what a relief to see that he was ok and trotting home.
    Ruby must have been under the strictest orders to keep a special eye on him and pull him up at the first signs of stress, and he did..thank you Ruby.

It was heartwarming to hear the Cheltenham racegoers break into spontaneous applause when Kauto Star pulled up, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that happen to any other horse other than when they applauded Frankel when he was 10 lengths ahead, two furlongs from home, in the 2000 Guineas last year.

Like the majority of us, even though we had done our cash him we were happy to see him pulled up safe and sound.
    Well done KAUTO STAR we wish you a long and happy retirement. :D

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

People would flock just to see this fabulous horse, wherever it is, and if it seems he still gets enjoyment from running why not? Some horses can still turn in a good performance at 13,14, even 15.And even if they can’t win, who cares so long as they are enjoying it?

That’s all perfectly reasonable in my view but imagine if he got badly injured or worse?

Our friends at the BBC would interrupt Eastenders to tell the world about that…

Mike

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

I’m not a big fan of NH racing and I don’t have the affection for KAUTO STAR that others seem to enjoy.

That said, the horse clearly has the same sort of place in people’s hearts as did Desert Orchid and that’s fair enough.

Should he be retired? Clearly, Nicholls and connections are going to give the horse time and a thorough examination. It wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if they thought about bringing him back in the autumn with the King George as a target but on the basis he wouldn’t go to the Gold Cup.

We were here last year after Punchestown – there were plenty of calls for him to be retired then.

At his best, he can still compete at the highest level but perhaps only once or twice a season.

Whatever the case, I wish the horse well – he has made people happy to have known him and that’s as good as reward as any in my book.

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

It was heartwarming to hear the Cheltenham racegoers break into spontaneous applause when Kauto Star pulled up, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that happen to any other horse other than when they applauded Frankel when he was 10 lengths ahead, two furlongs from home, in the 2000 Guineas last year.

It happened a few years ago when Istabraq was pulled up in The Champion Hurdle. Agree it was very heartwarming.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.