The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Golden Silver

Home Forums Memorials Golden Silver

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Jane of Herts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 110

Golden Silver suffered a fatal fall today in the Grade 1 at Leopardstown. RIP.

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 812

Horrible

news – apparently the second fatality there today …
    RIP Very gutsy horse who had only once failed to complete when pulling up. Awful to think his first ever fall was his last and a very yucky one too – think it was instant. Raced 52 times and won/placed in almost half of them. Gave his connections lots to remember.
    :( :( :(

nighthorsenighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Horrible news – apparently the second fatality there today …
    RIP
    :( :( :(

RIP Golden Silver. A lovely horse. Very sad :cry:

I take it that means Mictalina didn’t make it either. :( I was hopeful because you could see it trying to raise its head when they passed the screen. A bad day at Leopardstown :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

They were going no speed at the time and he was such a good jumper. Terrible shame. Seemed to have been around forever; the sort of genuine consistent horse that you’d love to own.

tbracingtbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1406

RIP fella :cry: , wonderful wonderful race horse

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Such sad news, terrible fall. Always enjoyed seeing him run.

Yes,it looks like Miktalina was also a casualty. Not confirmed in the results on Irish Racing website, but the roundup of the race seems to indicate that is the case.

RIP to you both.

AmberleighHouseFan
    • Total Posts 11

I saw this today and it was really horrible. The camera was on him for quite some time so it was very unpleasant to see.

I switched the racing off straight away, just did not have the heart for it.

After a wonderful day with Kauto winning yesterday, it has made me feel so sad. RIP Golden Silver. :cry:

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 812

Just shows that things can (and do) go wrong even when all seems to be ideal conditions – early fence so not tired and under pressure, small field so can see fence clearly, only just about going a gallop so not a speeding problem, very experienced horse who has never hit the deck in 51 races (50 completions), ridden by a jockey who knows him very well … yet for some reason a complete misjudgement … which cost the ultimate … VERY sad for all concerned.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Not that it would make it much better, but I was hoping he had, perhaps suffered a seizure. However, the jockey said he just clipped the top of the fence. Did anyone watch them making the Chepstow fences on the BBC today, showing how the fences are made to be a true jumping test that make the horses respect them but not catch them out in any way. The Leopardstown fences are now portable ones I believe; would that make them stiffer at all? Just wonder how suh a good jumper could suddenly make such a dreadful mistake.

Gazs Way De SolzenGazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2441

Awful news, a good horse, and a nice looking animal.

RIP.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Rest in peace.

Golden Silver and Kempes in 2 weeks. Horrible for Mullins and everyone else involved.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Don’t think the type of fence would have made any difference, Moehat. He looked to hit the fence far too low and had no chance of standing up. Don’t know if he was unsighted, but in such a small field I wouldn’t have thought so.

I wasn’t watching BBC coverage as I was recording ATR as I had to go out, but I think even if he had hit a Chepstow fence like that it would probably have been fatal. You can modify fences to make them as safe as possible, but you’ll never guarantee that there won’t be fatal falls. There have been 6 fatalities at Chepstow this year, 3 from falls, 2 who collapsed and died and 1 who broke down.

RIP, Golden Silver.

nighthorsenighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

But that’s 3 at Leopardstown in just 2 days.

So what’s going wrong there?

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Who was the third? Have only heard of Golden Silver and Miktalina.

Miktalina just looked to me as if it overjumped the hurdle and unfortunately fell badly. Didn’t look like it even touched the hurdle.

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 812

I thought the mare actually clipped the top … whatever she did she turned turtle – awful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.