The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Gold Cup 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Gold Cup 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 196 total)
  • Author
    Arightgoodyoke
    • Total Posts 24

Al ferof one of only two horse s to defeat jumping sensation sprinter sacre at Cheltenham. Plus put cue card and spirit son to bed in the same race so on that evidence I think he has all the credentials to go all the way. Still wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch between sprinter sacre and al ferof after his blunder in the Arkle but never mind. I’m guessing nicholls will take 1-1 score between the two after the tingle creek destruction. Al ferof loves the hill and stays forever, god knows why nicholls didn’t think he’d get the trip in the paddy power hes by Dom alco (Neptune colognes) sire swear he won the national over 4 miles, anyway al ferof to out them all hope for rain then he’ll do the same as the ill fated synchronised and let em all get on with it and power passed them all when they’re treading water trying to get up the hill. In the words of ruby Walsh form is temperary class is permanent and defeating them horses in the supreme novice the way he did is some class of a horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

If Sprinter Sacre and Al Ferof meet, SS will win barring a fall. And anyway, jumping is the name of the game. Both horses took off from the same position. Al Ferof landed on the fence, SS cleared it by a mile.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I was looking at some of the big races so far this season and I think Sir Des Champs’s two runs this season are very similar to the runs First Lieutenant was putting in in Ireland last season ie: jumping and travelling poorly. Then I thought about how much better First Lieutenant has been running this season with the aid if cheek pieces. Now, the question is, do they leave the furries on for the Gold Cup or take them off? He ran quite keen in the RSA last year without any head gear and surely there’s a chance the same could happen again this year if he has the pieces on.

I have very slight doubts about how effective he’ll be over 3m 2f, and see the Ryanair as the ideal race for him, and if he wore cheek pieces in the Gold Cup I’d be more against him than if not.

Any thoughts?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I was looking at some of the big races so far this season and I think Sir Des Champs’s two runs this season are very similar to the runs First Lieutenant was putting in in Ireland last season ie: jumping and travelling poorly. Then I thought about how much better First Lieutenant has been running this season with the aid if cheek pieces. Now, the question is, do they leave the furries on for the Gold Cup or take them off? He ran quite keen in the RSA last year without any head gear and surely there’s a chance the same could happen again this year if he has the pieces on.

I have very slight doubts about how effective he’ll be over 3m 2f, and see the Ryanair as the ideal race for him, and if he wore cheek pieces in the Gold Cup I’d be more against him than if not.

Any thoughts?

I think the Ryanair would be ideal. He can stay 3 miles + but i think it stretches him. He’s consistently been beaten over staying trips by thorough stayers. The GC would be his toughest assignemt yet. Davy could ride him in the Ryanair like Sam Thomas on Denman in the Gold Cup. Just stretch the other horses to their limit.

A couple of horses might swerve Sprinter Sacre in the Champion Chase.

His main challengers will probably be Cue Card and Riverside Theatre

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

I he were mine FL would be Ryanair bound, if he does run in it he’ll be carrying my money as I think it will suit him perferctly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Sorry if this old news, but Last Instalment is out for the season.

printersraces
    • Total Posts 29

This race really does depend on the going. If it’s soft I think Long Run will have a great chance of success, although Bobs Worths does stand out, especially at Cheltenham. If the going is good, I wouldn’t rule out Cue Card, especially at the prices being quoted at the moment. It has to be said that his likely engagement will be the Ryanair though. The Ryanair could end up as the most hotly contested race at the festival, the way it’s going, what with the non staying stayers and SS swervers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Hi Printers. Cue Card has not been entered in the Gold Cup so will either be the Ryanair or Champion chase for him

printersraces
    • Total Posts 29

Hi Printers. Cue Card has not been entered in the Gold Cup so will either be the Ryanair or Champion chase for him

Hi to you too. I posted that and then saw the Gold Cup entries straight afterwards. I think the Ryanair is the most likely, but you never know. I can’t see Sprinter Sacre being beaten, but Cue Card would have as good a chance as any of the others.

The Ryanair is going to be one hell of a race. I wonder if one day it will be the Blue Riband Chase? For me the Queen Mother is tops, as I like to see these great horses jump with speed and precision. Mistakes aren’t punished in the Gold Cup, not the way they are in the Queen Mother.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Be interested to here any info on the Tom George newcomer Mail de Bievre. Sounds like a very interesting recruit who holds an entry in both the Ryanair and Gold Cup. The French rate him about 175 which should make him a real player. 66/1 live outsider anyone?

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Be interested to here any info on the Tom George newcomer Mail de Bievre. Sounds like a very interesting recruit who holds an entry in both the Ryanair and Gold Cup. The French rate him about 175 which should make him a real player. 66/1 live outsider anyone?

Tom George has a history of festival flops. I’d steer well clear.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Cheers guys, he’s gonna be entered into the Denman Chase next month so I’m led to believe. Be interesting how he gets on. Still clueless as to working this years Gold Cup out but looks a brilliant contest in the the making. Was kinda hoping for better ground around the festive period, but seems previous festival form might be the best pointer again this year.

• Total Posts 1217

Cheers guys, he’s gonna be entered into the Denman Chase next month so I’m led to believe. Be interesting how he gets on. Still clueless as to working this years Gold Cup out but looks a brilliant contest in the the making. Was kinda hoping for better ground around the festive period, but seems previous festival form might be the best pointer again this year.

I remember George rating Othermix extremely highly but look how that horse turned out…I’ve become very wary of overly excited trainers and hype surrounding horses (Dildar a prime example) and just go on concrete form when betting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Has run once in almost three years Came second to Rubi Ball when the latter was at it’s peak but has to be major question marks against it now

• Total Posts 4

I hope it comes up testing and Tidal Bay goes for this,creeps into it 3 out before powering up the hill to win it. :D

In all seriousness though if it’s not too soft I can see SDC bobs worth and long run battling out the finish and I’ve a feeling SDC will collar the other 2 at the last.

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

Long un at 7/1 is nice, hes never finished outside of the top 3 in all of his 24 races and although this is more competative than last year (and more horses have a chance) I don’t think all of the live contenders will flourish, it may take a few of them another year or 2 to make the most of it and Long Runs proven ability in big races and this trip is enough to make me take him at those odds.

BHison
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 48

Grand Crus out to 25/1 for this!!! Madness.

Although still waiting to see whether they actually run him in this or the World Hurdle.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 196 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.