The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Going Stick readings

Home Forums Horse Racing Going Stick readings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Are the going stick readings published in advance of meetings on a web site?

Any thoughts on the reliability of the going stick?

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

how far can you push it in – depends how hard you push it – hope that helps

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Yes, they are for most of the courses that use them, on Turftrax.<br> Also, for some major meetings, daily leading up to them.<br>The going stick is the most reliable measure we have at the moment, and it is often an excellent guide, imo. However, it is still subject to the same frailties as other measures, i.e. the Cof C’s  whim.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Simon, I not talking about an old walking stick with a pointed end as has been used for ages.  The Going Stick is an electronic device which I think is being used for all turf meetings.  The past result data from Raceform now contains the readings as part of the official going description.  Would be nice to have the advance reading for all meetings in one place.

sberrysberry
    • Total Posts 1801

electronic – as in more precise than the pointy stick ?

and confirmed readings for past meetings available with results for past meetings as opposed to predictions ?

where ?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I contacted the Racing Post a few years back and asked them at what juncture the going stick readings that appeared in advance in their paper had been taken. They said that it varied enormously. That limited their usefulness in my eyes.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Don’t know if I’m allowed to do this, but I find the following link most useful?

Turftrax going reports

I’m not aware of historical data, but they do give timed and dated going stick readings for most courses, along with a course map to show the variance on certain areas of the track.

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Quote: from reet hard on 8:51 pm on June 9, 2007[br]Yes, they are for most of the courses that use them, on Turftrax.<br> Also, for some major meetings, daily leading up to them.<br>The going stick is the most reliable measure we have at the moment, and it is often an excellent guide, imo. However, it is still subject to the same frailties as other measures, i.e. the Cof C’s  whim.<br>

The GS has been tested for 2 years and calibrated for each of 15 courses (readings are fiddled so that consistency, course to course, is provided). Agree, it is consistent in that it does not depend on opinion and is repeatable, but has the drawback that it is still only an artificial surface layer device. It does not cater for hard layers under softened watered turf for example, nor does it replicate the depth or give that a force of up to 2 tonnes from a hoof imparts. The GS only being a 1kg weight dropped a metre (only the readings are recorded electronically). <br>As I understand it, the CoC can still over-rule the readings and give a going forecast based on his/her superficial "experience".

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

The going stick currently used in the UK is not the same as the pentrometer as is used widely in France.  The stick is pressed in the turf about 6 inches and then pulled back to test the resistance.  Readings are taken at various points around the track and the unit stores these and produces averaged readings at the end of the process.  This is the best indictor of going and the reading for all meetings should be published in advance.

RH, I think the Turf Trax site may very well be what I’m looking for. <br>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.