The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Geton or should we call it Getoff

Home Forums Horse Racing Geton or should we call it Getoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

When Geton (ATR) came on the air first it was all about interaction with the viewers (EMAILS) which made the show extremely popular.<br>Now why should viewers bother to email at all, when most of their mails are not read out , just a few hastily read out at the end of the show ( most saturday mornings the emails are totally ignored ) with the presenters having no time to have any intelligent interaction over the emails subject matters.<br>While appreciating it is not the presenters fault, but they are constantly reminding viewers to email Geton "we would love to hear from you" why if the majority of mails end up in the trash can.<br>The obvious problem here is, the half/threequarter hour slot that Geton is allotted, not enough time to accomodate up to five guests and the numerous emails.<br>I like to hear from some of the guests too, trainers with runners on the day mostly, and the betting experts from the major bookmaking firms, they could stop interviewing jockeys because their input is neglible at best.<br>There is a simple solution to keep everyone happy, have racing replay on from 9 to 10 (available free on ATR website anyway), start racing news at 10, and have Geton from 10.30 to 12 noon which is ample time to accomodate all the guests and viewers emails which will give the time strapped presenters the ability to interact with the viewers.<br>I suppose I cant be too critical of ATR, as it is the best thing that ever happened for racing fans, and no subscription fee to boot. I just think the powers to be at ATR should put a bit more thought into their scheduling of their programmes.<br>Come on ATR is it to be Geton or Getoff for your life blood the viewers ????

(Edited by madman marz at 10:00 am on Feb. 15, 2007)

class tells
    • Total Posts 207

good post marz and an other thing why dont they talk about somthing that may just get us a winner and put it on early enough so that we can put on our lines

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from class tells on 10:09 am on Feb. 15, 2007[br]good post marz and an other thing why dont they talk about somthing that may just get us a winner and put it on early enough so that we can put on our lines

I suppose the shows name is self explanatory Class Tells,  by interviewing trainers with runners on the day (except when chapman is interviewing his buddy P. Hobbs they seem to talk about everything else bar racing)  and the betting experts from the bookmakers telling us where the money is down, but as you say the value is well and truly gone when the great unwashed like us get the info.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

TBH, I’d rather keep the extra time as a chance to catch the re-run of actual races, rather than listening to more opinions from the viewing public.

Have you considered the possibility that the emails they do receive aren’t worth broadcasting?

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Similar to some of the posts on here Sal. You have a computer Sal (unless your using your bosses precious time to post on here) so any race you want that was ever broadcast on ATR is available on their website. I think an hour in the morning is ample to watch the replays (DVD Recorder are great for this or your sky plus ). I personally like to hear viewer interaction which is what this forum is all about isnt it Sal, which is why I suggest your on here in the first place.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I tend to agree with Sal especially if the clown Chapman is in the booth, 30 minutes of him is 30 minutes too much.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from yeats on 10:45 am on Feb. 15, 2007[br]I tend to agree with Sal especially if the clown Chapman is in the booth, 30 minutes of him is 30 minutes too much.

Agree with you about the irritating Chapman Yeats, nearly as irritating as Derek Thompson.<br>Tony Ennis & Sean Boyce are excellent, "do you not agree Yeats", even if Boycey is guilty of sitting on the fence a little when something controversial pops up.

"Keats and Yeats are on your side, while the love of Wilde is on mine"

Cemetary Gates by The Smiths.  

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

PC specifications (ie no speaker, slow connection speed) can hamper viewing on the internet – it is not convenient for everyone.

Forums are a different case.  They allow the possibility (if not the actuality) of considered opinions, open debate, examining events over a length of time, a bit of research, multiple contributors.

TV viewers participation is much more limited – one bloke emails in with a rant, the presenter responds, maybe someone else puts forward another viewpoint, and that’s about it, move on to the next subject.  I don’t think I’ve ever found Get On’s emails terribly enlightening, unlike this forum.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Agree Sal to a certain extent, but I am arguing for a longer time slot so Geton can have more contracted and intelligent debates with their viewers.<br>Sal I dont know if your tuned into Geton, you wont believe it you can now text them at 35p GB & 60 cent ROI, talk about extortion, when the majority wont be read out anyway.<br>Actually I emailed them over it and would you believe they actually read it out Sal.

(Edited by madman marz at 12:09 pm on Feb. 15, 2007)

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

So you’re basically campaigning for more airtime to be dedicated to you personally? :biggrin:

Something I always enjoyed about the American racing coverage was the ongoing communication between viewers and presenters over the course of the evening, so I agree that there is a time and a place for this.  However I don’t think the morning, when the latest going/jockey/non-runner news is time-critical, is the correct slot for random discussions.  I think even an extended time period would still feel more like a chat room than a forum.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from yeats on 10:45 am on Feb. 15, 2007[br]I tend to agree with Sal especially if the clown Chapman is in the booth, 30 minutes of him is 30 minutes too much.<br>

He is more annoying than Thommo, does he actually think he is entertaining?

JohnJ.

seanboyce
    • Total Posts 255

Hi MM,

It’s a difficult balance to strike as the quantity (and to some extent quality) of e mails is impossible to predict.<br>There are days when I get through all the emails I have.<br>There are other days – like today ironically – where I don’t have time to get through any.

I prefer personally to do as many as possible as I genuinely enjoy getting plenty of different views aired – even if I don’t agree!

The difficulty comes in mixing live phono interviews with the text/email side. Today we had Richard Mullen and Mick Fitzgerald on the show. Both had plenty to say and there’s no way that I’d want to cut either of them short in order to accommodate e mails as I think that the most benefit for the most viewers can be derived from hearing from the participants in the days sport rather than us observers of it.

Now, on many days I could have still got through plenty of mails and texts by over-running a few minutes. Because we have a pre-recorded Dubai preview coming up (time of which can’t be altered) I had to get off at the set time today.

Get On gives us a chance to ask 2 or 3 questions often of a jockey or trainer about a specific horse, something that there is rarely time to do in Racing News and often yields important information about a horse’s chance.

It’s a tough balance to strike of course and we often don’t get it right but my intention is always to get through as many mails/texts as possible whilst of course not compromising any of our interviews.

A longer Get On would be great for those days when there’s loads of emails and loads to discuss but predicting those days is nigh on impossible.

Hope that makes some sense.<br>Sean<br>

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

chapmans brilliant, in my opinion, takes all sorts.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Thanks for your reply Sean, <br>But can the ATR powers that be not change the time slots at all, its not as if they are putting more work on anyone since the change of the American show when some presenters were on till all hours. As I have said before Sean presenters like you are in a no win situation with the ridiculous short time you have its virtually impossible.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Personally, i do not have any problems with GETON and try to watch it everyday, when i can. Maybe it’s because i do not e mail into the show (well, not enough to warrant being downbeat about my e mails not being read out).

I do think though that the majority of e mails read out are pointless, as many that are read out are the ones that are just slating the show.

For me, i’m not that bothered about listening to e mails read out, i watch mainly for the interviews and to see where the money has been going during that particular day. I thought Richard Mullen was excellent today, especially when giving information about the horse in the last at Nad Al Sheba today. If the main aim to the show was to read e mails there would be many tips from the people ‘in the know’ that we would never hear about.

Maybe the format should change, slightly. Perhaps one day a week to be a ‘viewers show’ where the input can be from the viewers alone? and then have no emails/texts on the other day? Maybe that wouldn’t work but it’s an idea.

Matt Chapman gets through as many emails as he can, but often over runs into racing news or whatever follows GET ON, whenever he is in the booth. He does ‘rabbit’ on about rubbish sometimes but other than that, as barry says, people throw everything at him and he takes it. He speaks his mind and is often wrong, but he holds his hands up 9 times out of 10 when he is, which not many would do.

Overall, i think it’s a great show, whether there are emails, or not. People here seem to prefer the views of the actual viewers, but i’m very much in the camp of getting as many interviews from trainers/jockeys etc as possible within the 30min time slot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.