The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Geos

Home Forums Memorials Geos

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    quixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

Just read on Racehorsememories site that Geos was killed in a Point to Point today. He was ridden by Nicky Hendersons daughter & well clear when he fell at the water jump. He was one of my favourites, the Henderson family will be devastated, RIP

racinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

I was there, it was nasty, and its a horse who’s career i have followed from the start…Camilla Henderson broke her collarbone in the fall…

RIP Geos

kyllachy02
    • Total Posts 2

so sad about Geos having to be destroyed at the weekend – a truely brave brave horse, a magnificant friend. he always tried his best, put 200% into each race. to have 2 tote gold trophy’s, a bula hurdle, christmas hurdle, castleford chase, and placed in both the champion hurdle and champion chase shows what a star he was!

he will be truely missed by many, many people! thanks for the memories old friend.

kyllachy02
    • Total Posts 2

thought you might like to see the article in the racing post:

NICKY HENDERSON paid a glowing tribute to Geos, the former high-class chaser and hurdler who was destroyed after breaking a shoulder in a fall at the water jump in a point-to-point on Sunday at Tweseldown in Hampshire.

The Lambourn trainer’s daughter Camilla, who won a point-to-point on Geos last spring, broke a collar-bone in the fall, which happened when they were clear and travelling strongly in the novice riders race at the Staff College and RMA Sandhurst Draghounds meeting.

The 12-year-old had ended active service under Rules in the spring of 2005, but was thoroughly enjoying himself in a second career as a hunter and point-to-pointer. He had qualified with the Beaufort Hunt for this season.

Henderson said on Sunday: “Geos was a true friend, and this is a very sad day. It was obvious to everyone who saw him race that he was loving the experience of point-to-pointing, so at least we can say that he died doing something he enjoyed. He was a terrific horse for Seven Barrow over so many years.â€ÂÂ

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Kyllachy, there’s a dedicated Memorials section on the forum, and already a post on Geos. You may wish to add to it.

Thanks for posting. Very sad.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Whether they express it openly or not, doubtless there’ll be a few in racing (maybe some on TRF) who will be wondering what the hell the Hendersons were doing persisting with Geos at this level, when he had surely little else to prove after a glittering career (see also Door Latch, Vodkatini and Djeddah among other high-profile fatalities in point-to-points).

As far as I know, however, the fact is that Geos was a horse who didn’t want to retire. It was never the intention for him to go pointing when he was officially retired by Team Henderson in August 2005, but rather that he’d just enjoy himself at Seven Barrows for the rest of his days.

In the end, though, he was clearly giving so many signs that he was still up for competing that they got him qualified with the Old Berkshire a few months later and opted to let him take his chances between the flags.

He ran three times in 2006, winning the last of these, a Confined Novices’ Riders’ event at Lockinge on April 17th (good). Although primarily associated with exploits over far shorter, he saw out the 3m trip pretty well in the end, emerging victorious after a being held up early on to score in the second fastest time of the day.

This was Camilla Henderson’s first ever winning ride, and the gelding had proven a tolerant and giving schoolmaster in the face of her fairly nervous first forays into race-riding in public.

Without necessarily pulling up many trees outside of Confined or Novice Riders’ class, I would still have expected horse and rider to have developed an increasing understanding over the course of this year, but sadly we will never know now.

Goodnight, Geos, and rest in peace.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

thebroons
    • Total Posts 29

it was sad to hear of the death of geos he was one of my favorites it was a shame he could not enjoy a happy retirment he deserved better than dying on the racetrack:( :( :(

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Very sad to hear. He was a favourite of mine, and my abiding memory of him was beating Rooster Booster a short head in the Tote Gold Trophy. I had him at 16s, and I’ve never been so loud at a finish!

I’m a little annoyed that Nicky Henderson hadn’t just let him retire, poor old boy deserved it. They even tried him in France.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.