The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

George an Ri

Home Forums Memorials George an Ri

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 433

was pulled up with what proved to be a fatal injury in the last (flat) race at Wincanton yesterday. RIP lad :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Yet another one "breaking down" on the flat. Something’s wrong.

RIP :cry:

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Will anybody look into all the breakdowns and fatalities and research whats happening or will it just be accepted as ‘well that’s racing’ :!:
    RIP George an Ri :( :(

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

I think they (the Racing Authorities) are paying to much attention to what the general public says (e.g. the Grand National) and instead of acting when it is needed, they just keep getting matters worse. There is clearly something wrong with the breed. You can’t blame every trainer for a breakdown, since we all know that most of the trainers really care about their athletes.
    Rest in Peace George an Ri

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

RIP George an Ri :cry:
    This has been the worst year for fatalities on the flat that I can remember. Something must be done and quickly..please :(

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I know that some of the popular jumping sires of old such as Cottage & Deep Run sired huge books of mares, but now this is common place with stallions of both codes. In the old days the jumping mares were bred to be jumpers & some had a bit of hunter way back. The horses would have mainly been stores & not worked until they were four.
    Now we are seeing more failed flat racers than ever, sired by stallions who have bigger books than the likes of even Deep Run could have dreamt of. Also, though I know posters on here disagree with me, the obsession with some American bred stallions like Northern Dancer & Mr Prospector has wakened the breed. I don’t think there is a stallion at Coolmore that isn’t crossed to him for instance. Look at horses in the paddock, so many look like him especially those with a washy tail, which the line seems to throw.
    This was bound to go all wrong, & we are reaping the rewards of overbreeding now.
    Of course not every fatality is inbred, so there must be some other factors too. I wonder how many foals & yearlings are finished on limestone pasture these days?
    Could interval training be a factor?
    The breed is becoming weak.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.