The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing French Racing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

I’m in Paris early next week and having looked at the meetings on offer could go to either Saint-Cloud on the tuesday or Chantilly on wednesday.

My French isn’t great but I think that Saint Cloud has a Guineas trial which would be excellent fayre indeed.

Does anyone have knowledge of either course/meeting/horses to follow etc. that could enhance one’s enjoyment of the spectacle?

Only ever been to Longchamp and looking forward to going to a domestic rather than international meet.

(Edited by ToneLoc at 3:17 pm on April 24, 2007)

Karly Flight
    • Total Posts 42

May 1st is a bank holiday in France and is always a big day at Saint Cloud. Racing-wise, there’s the Gr 2 Prix du Muguet mile event and the Prix Cleopatre which is a prep race for the Diane. For entries see:

http://www.france-galop.com/REUNIONS/Cal_dat.htm

There will also be numerous entertainments on offer including probably a large parade of local riding schools, kids entertainments and generally a fun, relaxed atmosphere.

The Chantilly card includes the Gr 3 Prix Allez France for fillies and mares and a couple of races for unraced three year olds. Chantilly is currently in the latter stages of renovation so you’ll get a preview of how it should look in a couple of months time for the Diane and Jockey-Club with new paddock, saddling boxes, weighing room complex. <br>Atmosphere is lileky to be a lot quieter, more confined to racing professionals but Chantilly is certainly a beautiful course.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’ve never been to Chantilly.

St Cloud isn’t as nice as Longchamp, but it’s a decent enough course and well worth a visit.

(and I’m sure it’ll justify its 4 euro entrance fee)

If you need directions, just ask.

Steve

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Remember  the form is published in Paris Turf on the day before the meeting and get your furlong-metres table out!

St Cloud just across the river from Longchamp has excellent facilities and is quite intimate although the course itself looked a little run-down when I was last there. Chantilly has loads of charm and would be more of a day-trip/picknick option.

<br>BTW don’t back short favs on the tote or you are likely to get a 10c dividend on the Parimutuel.

ToneLoc
    • Total Posts 101

Cheers for the info.

Reckon Saint-Cloud is the better bet, May 1st is my birthday – surely the racing Gods will smile on me for one day :biggrin: Apparently it has a 4.5f sprint track, interesting…

The Gr.2 looks pretty strong, Manduro, Stormy River, etc. (possible Lockinge entries??). I knew the Gr.3 was a trial for something, who are the main protagonists for the Diane?

As an aside why are the French/German Oaks named after this Diane?

As for the handicaps does anyone have a system for them? Such as throwing out top weights at certain distances, etc? I’m not looking for in-depth analyses, just any trends that can be applied to French racing!

I’ll remember not to back the short-price favs on the PMU, last time I did that I seem to recall opposing a 1.40 shot and backing a 23.60 rag, quite a big race I seem to recall… :cool:

(Edited by ToneLoc at 12:02 am on April 26, 2007)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.