The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French racing database required

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks French racing database required

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cheddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29

Anyone out there got a database with at least a year’s results from the major French tracks?  Ideally the smaller tracks also (Strasbourg etc).  I have compiled something for the last 3 years in Germany and don’t really want to have to spend even more time doing the same for France.  Obviously I would be prepared to pay for something useful.  

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Apologies if you already know this, but…

The France Galop database is available through:

https://secure.france-galop.com/index49.html

but the interface is horrible, and there’s no way of getting large amounts of data out of it.

http://www.zeturf.com/en

have a pretty good set of results for the last couple of years, but it would take a bit of work to turn them into a usable database.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

I use France Galop.  The data is very good – comprehensive back to the mid-seventies and including non-TB racing as well.  But as Gareth says, it is not pleasant to use at all.  With experience it is perfectly functional, but the little quirks (can’t use the back button or return, very quick timeout, for example) make it frustrating at first.  

Longchamp Lad
    • Total Posts 35

Being based in France I have to agree somewhat sadly to the previous posts. For the major tracks the Racing Post is probably your best source, but the provincial tracks are definitely more problematic. pmu.fr and the paris-turf sites are worth looking at but seem to lack anything worthwhile in terms of databases.

(Edited by Longchamp Lad at 12:57 pm on June 20, 2007)

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

They must read TRF, as France Galop have just updated their database system to a much more attractive and modern site.  It doesn’t look like the transfer is fully complete yet, and an essential ratings file seems to have gone walkabout, but it may be worth another look to see if the new system is more suitable to your needs.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Spooky timing, Sal! It’s good to see; a pure web based system will be far, far more accessible.

One thing that really bugs me though – and I think this is a limitation of their underlying data – they don’t specify the Piste on which each race was run.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.