The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

French 1000 Guineas

Home Forums Horse Racing French 1000 Guineas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Did anyone else think the jockeys won and lost the race today?

Kevin Manning was eager to get a position on Finsceal Beo so shoved her along from the stalls then once she’s got to the front he took a pull and dropped her a couple of lengths back. Waste of energy there was no need to shove her to that extent.

So the predictable happened (which incidently I predicted after 200 yards), the filly tied up inside the final half a furlong and Soumillon who gave his mount a superb ride got up and mugged them on the line.

In top class races top class jockeys make the difference. Is that a fair comment?

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Yes, in general. You don’t want a duffer on your horse in a G1.

I’m inclined to believe FB probably isn’t over last week’s exertions.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from Maurice on 4:31 pm on May 13, 2007[br]Yes, in general. You don’t want a duffer on your horse in a G1.

I’m inclined to believe FB probably isn’t over last week’s exertions.

The travelling to England and then France might not have helped either. To the well too quickly? Doubtless the "open campaigning- race them once a week " brigade will disagree.<br>Accepting it was a classic, Soumillon was also pretty tasty with the whip.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Kevin Manning is hardly a 7lb claimer.

edited to add:

He has a 17% strike-rate in Group Races in Ireland and Britain over the last 5 seasons.

(Edited by davidbrady at 4:52 pm on May 13, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

The blame game I was waiting for it ! <br>Horse hadn’t enough time to get over his Newmarket excertions.<br>Manning gives horse bad ride.

Right here is my view of the race,<br>Manning rode the horse early to get a prominent position to avoid any potential traffic problems, which occur regulary in French races. Job well done.<br>The horse is beaten on the nod by a well touted filly from top french connections. Hardly a disaster.<br>I thought Fisceal Beo ran a cracking race and time might tell that she was beaten by a better filly.<br>And I think connections deserve a pat on the back instead of ridicule for been bold, instead of wrapping the horse up in cotton wool like a lot of others do, in case their precious stud fees might suffer. Here’s hoping she goes on to win the Irish equivalent, 2 out of 3 aint bad.<br>Incidently what a cracker creachadoir ran.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from madman marz on 5:24 pm on May 13, 2007[br]The blame game I was waiting for it ! <br>Horse hadn’t enough time to get over his Newmarket excertions.<br>Manning gives horse bad ride.

Right here is my view of the race,<br>Manning rode the horse early to get a prominent position to avoid any potential traffic problems, which occur regulary in French races. Job well done.<br>The horse is beaten on the nod by a well touted filly from top french connections. Hardly a disaster.<br>I thought Fisceal Beo ran a cracking race and time might tell that she was beaten by a better filly.<br>And I think connections deserve a pat on the back instead of ridicule for been bold, instead of wrapping the horse up in cotton wool like a lot of others do, in case their precious stud fees might suffer. Here’s hoping she goes on to win the Irish equivalent, 2 out of 3 aint bad.<br>Incidently what a cracker creachadoir ran.

<br>FB is no superstar if beaten by the better filly then?

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

<br>FB is no superstar if beaten by the better filly then?

It remains to be seen lingfield, hold fire, lets see how these 2 fillies get on in their next races before judgement is made, Incidently is Darjina entered in the Irish Guineas ???.

(Edited by madman marz at 6:58 pm on May 13, 2007)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I didn’t have bet in this race, but the Racing Post here puts the SPs as

Darjina 4/1<br>Finsceal Beo Beo 4/5f<br>Rahiyah 30/1

while Sporting Life website here has them as

Darjina 13/2<br>Finsceal Beo 4/11f<br>Rahiyah 14/1

I presume some of this is the effect of coupling but what are the official SPs?

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

David,

I would imagine the first one is the PMU and the second set of prices were those settled at SP by British bookmakers.

Should be clarified better if that is the case though.

Andrew

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

the "final prices"  on the PMU are in the "Cotes finales" column here:

http://www.geny.com/Cotes/c/173032/2007 … liches.htm

and include the 1 Euro stake, which for UK SP purposes would make them:

Darjina 4/1 <br>Finsceal Beo 4/5f <br>Rahiyah 29/1

<br>for PMU dividends, on the LH side click "Arrivees/ rapports" and scroll down to the rapports.

<br>…or navigate there on the official PMU site:

http://www.pmu.fr/pmu/html/fr/index2.html

by first going to courses, courses du jour, finding the date, then the race, then clicking the 2-10-3 outcome on the right-hand side.

best regards

wit <br>

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

My comments were based on the premise that most analysts concluded after Newmarket that Finsceal Beo is the best 1000G winner since Cape Verdi and some were even claiming she is the best 3yo of either sex. If that’s the case, she shouldn’t have been beaten (as her 4/9 morning odds suggested) therefore it’s much more likely that she’s failed to give her running rather than been beaten by a better filly.

And no, the travelling wouldn’t have helped.

Running in G1s takes more out of a horse than running in lesser class and the 1000G was very fast run. It must have taken something out of her and I reckon she nearly won in spite of this.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

For me she ran almost exactly the same race as in the guineas but tired at the end which she didn’t do in the english version.

This could obviously be due to a number of factors: Manning went too soon, the race was more of a test of stamina (This is difficult to substantiate), the travelling took it our of her, she ran in 2 G1’s in a week, course didn;t suit etc etc

Personally, I believe that given a rest she would have beaten the frnech filly fairly comfortably.. She quickly put daylight between herself and the field as she had in the guineas but just ran out of puff.. Fair play to Bolger for having a go and I hope she still runs in the Irish. The mile must be her trip as well.. I’d be doubtful about her staying further. I hope she runs in the QEII because I think George may have trouble beating her..

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Quote: from Aragorn on 12:00 pm on May 14, 2007[br]Personally, I believe that given a rest she would have beaten the frnech filly fairly comfortably..

So we’re agreeing?

I anticpated FB under-performing and laid her at 4/9 yesterday morning. I don’t believe she was beaten by a better filly.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I think somebody commented here recently that Jim Bolger is one of the shrewdest trainers in Ireland. I think by sending FB to Longchamp for a second classic in the space of a week shows clearly how unshrewd he is. FB was shipped to Newmarket last week, then back to Ireland, then over to France. I honestly think FB looked worn out in the final stages of the race, certainly couldn’t blame the jockey. Campaigning a three year old filly in this manner is crazy IMO.

JohnJ.<br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

John, I tend to agree with you but it is easier with hindsight.

If she had held on by a short-head it would have been job-done and then onto the Irish version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.