The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Home Forums Lounge Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Viewing 3 posts - 69 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I just cannot wait until Saturday now.

Assuming he runs we’ve all got what we wanted. In the build up to every race so far the Frankel detractors have been telling us that he has nothing to face. That it is a penalty kick. That despite the fact he has been declared well in advance for all his races it is somehow a cowardly act on behalf of his connections for taking on the various fields he has faced. Basically, like those of us who revere the horse they’ve known full well that his superiority has made him a red hot prospect before the races. Unlike those of us in his camp though they’ve turned it around to be critical of the horse and his trainer, and poured scorn on his victories.

Well now we’re all looking like getting what we want. The knockers have finally found the nerve to forecast his defeat in this race. They are telling us that he will not have it all his own way. That the French horse is a monster on soft ground and that there’s every chance Frankel will be beaten.

That’s brilliant IMO. If he wins now hopefully they’ll be quiet, or have the grace to herald what is without question one of the greatest horses of all time.

If he loses his critics can enjoy telling us they told us so. If he wins there will be no quarter for the cynics. They will have be proven wrong in no uncertain manner.

Game on! :wink:

Hammy that has roused me!!! Do you BELIEVE Hammy?!!! I do!!! Bring it on!!!!

I am off to see his little brother on his first day of school. Supposed to be pretty useful….. :D

I believe Joni. :wink:

I couldn’t resist today. Given that the mighty F will be absent from my local gallops after Friday I made a feeble excuse to the gaffa yesterday and told him I was going to be a couple of hours late in today. I set the alarm for 4.o O clock am and awoke to absolutely torrential rain. I whipped to Tescos for a quick early morning shop aiming to be on the gallops as light broke. I had read earlier in the week that Frankel would be given a breeze on the Alba Hathri as his last piece of work before Ascot, and Sir Henry has been working him most often on Wednesdays. While at Tescos I grabbed a copy of the RP and noted that Frankel was the front page again.

I whipped the shopping home and made a quick cuppa to take with me. It was still cats and dogs outside so I donned a full waterproof suit and grabbed my camera and binoculars. It was still in darkness outside and I thought about having a quick read of the RP before going but I was too fired up to settle so drove up to where I could get on a public footpath and walk the half mile or so in the pouring rain to where the footpath crosses the Alba Hathri. Once down there I realised fairly quickly that either Frankel’s gallops fans were fairweather supporters or he wasn’t coming. :(

I stayed a while and watched a few horses work around the polytrack. You can get within feet of the gallop at this particular point, and despite having lived in Newmarket and around horses virtually my entire life I was still gobsmacked at the pace and power of the pairs as they thundered around the training gallop flat out. If you’ve never watched horses work at Newmarket then do yourself a favour and make a day of it sometime. It really is an experience not to be missed for horse lovers. When I watch them on course I’m always taken with how sluggish it all looks as they pass you in the stands. On the gallops, close up and in virtual silence save the thunder of the horses hooves they seem to be travelling impossibly fast. I can only dream of what it must be like to ride a decent thoroughbred full tilt around a gallop. The visual experience is heart stopping!

Anyway, with water running down my nose and my bins steamed into blindness I finally traipsed home feeling a bit dejected that I hadn’t seen Frankel work.

I consoled myself with another hot cuppa and a snap decision to stall work for a bit longer and have a leisurely read of the RP. Within a couple of minutes I had read that Frankel worked brilliantly on the Alba Hathri…

…yesterday! :roll:

:D

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Although I thoroughly respect Cirrus Des Aigles, I don’t think it’s as tougher test as everyone’s making out. Yes, he’s impressive on very soft ground in France but his 10l routes are invariably against very weak opposition. Granted, he murdered Giofra, but she’s not a heavy ground horse.

He is without doubt a genuine group one horse, but when bumping into horses of similar ability it does expose his limitations. St Nic got very close, and his form ties in with Nathaniel/Snow Fairy who’ve both not been beaten far by CDA.

It’s going to be a great spectacle and I’ve no doubt that Frankel will win by at least five.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Poor old you Hammy!!! That is dedication though mate. You’ll just have to wait and watch him with 32,000 of us on Saturday!

Hammering it down here earlier on and more rain forecast tonight so certain to be heavy at Ascot tomorrow. Only silver lining is that tonight should be the last of the rain so it may improve by Saturday.

If it is soft I have no worries. If it is heavy I have plenty.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Viewing 3 posts - 69 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.