The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Home Forums Lounge Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

So one for you Joni: :)

"This is the best race horse you have ever seen, I have ever seen, that anyone will ever see."

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I have seen Secretariate,Arrasi at two years old,Black Caviar.All as good as the one you named over their best distances.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

In fact now that i recall Arrazi was the best two year old I ever saw and that includes the horse so often adored here.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

You’re entitled to your opinion Andy. :wink:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

"This is the best race horse you have ever seen, I have ever seen, that anyone will ever see."

Jim Mcgrath after the Juddmonte?

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I should have pointed out it isn’t from a commentary Joni. It’s an after race appraisal.

No not the Aussie.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m certain the race was this year’s Sussex Joni.

I think the commentary was from either Oliver Postgate or Simon Holt but I couldn’t swear to it.

Spot on again Hammy. Holt I believe.

This was the easiest G1 win of his career imo. It was no more than an exercise canter meant to put him spot on for York.

I have to say it was the least fav win that I saw for 2 reasons:

1. Goodwood was a TOTAL nightmare. It took me over an hour to park and it was far too overcrowded. I left after the Frankel race to avoid the traffic.

2. Far be it for me to say but running in the Sussex for the second year was the one decision that I didn’t really get. I wish they had gone for the Eclipse instead as it may have opened up other doors if he had stepped up earlier. I know they had their reasons for doing what they did but I wasn’t sure it proved anything we didn’t already know.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

…mind you, I think the person quoted has probably got slightly better credentials than Andy for the job of judging horses. :wink:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I should have pointed out it isn’t from a commentary Joni. It’s an after race appraisal.

No not the Aussie.

I meant the other Jim. Ok – was it Willie?

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I’m certain the race was this year’s Sussex Joni.

I think the commentary was from either Oliver Postgate or Simon Holt but I couldn’t swear to it.

Spot on again Hammy. Holt I believe.

This was the easiest G1 win of his career imo. It was no more than an exercise canter meant to put him spot on for York.

I have to say it was the least fav win that I saw for 2 reasons:

1. Goodwood was a TOTAL nightmare. It took me over an hour to park and it was far too overcrowded. I left after the Frankel race to avoid the traffic.

2. Far be it for me to say but running in the Sussex for the second year was the one decision that I didn’t really get. I wish they had gone for the Eclipse instead as it may have opened up other doors if he had stepped up earlier. I know they had their reasons for doing what they did but I wasn’t sure it proved anything we didn’t already know.

Possibly the kudos of being the first and currently only horse ever to win back to back Sussex stakes?

I have to agree though. It seemed a rather pointless race in the grand scheme of things.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Yes it was. I’ve never been his biggest fan. (The wee jock turncoat is positively hated by a large proportion of the old school stable lads in the town for obvious reasons … and I nearly had a dust up with one of his boys at school at playtime. :D) but I respect his qualifications in lording Frankel as the greatest ever. You can’t really crib his understanding and knowledge of the thoroughbred I don’t suppose.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I have seen Secretariate,Arrasi at two years old,Black Caviar.All as good as the one you named over their best distances.

That is high praise indeed Andy. All three are legends so if Frankel is up there with them I am happy. Glad you have come round to our way of thinking!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Yes it was. I’ve never been his biggest fan. (The wee jock turncoat is positively hated by a large proportion of the old school stable lads in the town for obvious reasons … and I nearly had a dust up with one of his boys at school at playtime. :D) but I respect his qualifications in lording Frankel as the greatest ever. You can’t really crib his understanding and knowledge of the thoroughbred I don’t suppose.

I can’t help squirming when I watch him. It was a bit like when dear old Peter er er er um um Scudamore tried it.

Both great jocks with, as you say, more knowledge and understanding than we could ever have but not really cut out for a job in front of the camera.

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

I’m sure the second Sussex was also Hoiles!

Also, I agree the best line of commentary in any of Frankel’s races came from Holt in the Juddemonte regarding not being able to get him off the bridle. The sheer surprise in his voice is fantastic, he effortlessly exerts tension and drama during races. I like Bartlett too but often see him slated on forums.

I remember when he commentated on Binocular’s warm up race before the 2011 Champion Hurdle (he didn’t turn up in the end), and Ruthenoise was trying to hold on, Binocular was briefly shaken up and he screamed "She’s trying to repel a Champion Hurdler"! Great line.

What about this mesmerizing bit of commentary:

"Now what has he got left? There’s not a lot left. Or is there? Frankel is coming away, or is he? Frankel’s coming away to win it now!"

:D

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I’m sure the second Sussex was also Hoiles!

Also, I agree the best line of commentary in any of Frankel’s races came from Holt in the Juddemonte regarding not being able to get him off the bridle. The sheer surprise in his voice is fantastic, he effortlessly exerts tension and drama during races. I like Bartlett too but often see him slated on forums.

I remember when he commentated on Binocular’s warm up race before the 2011 Champion Hurdle (he didn’t turn up in the end), and Ruthenoise was trying to hold on, Binocular was briefly shaken up and he screamed "She’s trying to repel a Champion Hurdler"! Great line.

What about this mesmerizing bit of commentary:

"Now what has he got left? There’s not a lot left. Or is there? Frankel is coming away, or is he? Frankel’s coming away to win it now!"

Oh SDO!!! I was saving that one!!!

The legend that is Derek Thompson. Frankel’s first race.

He was momentarily scrubbed along 3 out but then came back on the bridle at the 2. The first time the hairs on the back of my neck stood up! Tom gave him a squeeze but little did we know he was up against a King George and Eclipse winner! Still – only hands and heels required!

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

An easy one today:

"He’s going to get close…..but Frankel’s unbeaten record remains intact!!"

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

An easy one today:

"He’s going to get close…..but Frankel’s unbeaten record remains intact!!"

I refuse to answer this one. :(

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.