The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Home Forums Lounge Frankel – I'll name that race in……………..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So I thought it might be fun for us Frankelstines or Frankelsistas (or whatever we are called by "The Doubters") to start the build up to next week and the final performance of Our Wonder Horse by playing a little game.

You are not allowed to cheat by checking the RP site. I will know if you do. <!– s:| –>:|<!– s:| –>

Starting today I will give you a line from each of Frankel’s wins and all you have to do is name the race and the commentator that said it. Here is today’s:

"And it’s a case of name the distance here as Frankel stretches right away………."

Good luck!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

MrUnoHugh
    • Total Posts 146

Royal Lodge – Jim Mcgrath.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Royal Lodge – Jim Mcgrath.

Wrong I’m afraid Hugh!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Could that be Simon Holt on the 2011 Epsom Derby? :oops:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Could that be Simon Holt on the 2011 Epsom Derby? :oops:

I said this is for Frankeltines Gord and you are most certainly not one of them!!! :D

No it wasn’t Simon Holt in the Epsom Derby you silly ar5e.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I haven’t got the RP access so it’s a complete guess from me but I could almost swear I can hear Jim McGrath calling that. (I do suffer from delusions though. :D )

I’ll go for the Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Royal Ascot?

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

LOL. Well timed i have, this evening, been rewatching all of Frankels races. It was his second ever race at Doncaster in 2010.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Spot on Ken! Stewart Machin.

"and he might just have a touch of start quality about him…." – yes indeed he might!

I thought this was as visually impressive performance as the Royal Lodge. It left the ratings guys stumped as, if you took the form literally, he beat a 90 rated performer by 17 lengths. That would have meant giving him a 124/125 rating for a conditions race. They therefore marked Diamond Geezah down to 71 and gave Frankel only 115. The second ran 3rd in a Group 1 next race but DG was never seen again. Apparently he is in rehab and wakes nightly screaming into his pillow "Frankel FRANKEL!!!"

Another one later.

Participant
    • Total Posts 750

I thought the best comment I heard was after his first race when Cecil was being interviewed, he said ‘he’s potentially a very nice horse’. Understatement of the year I think.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

When Michael Hills came back into the winners enclosure aboard Diamond Geezah he was met with the aghast faces of the owners who had just seen their promising 90 rated 2 year old beaten 17 lengths.

"What happened?!" they asked incredulously.

Hills replied "Don’t worry. Apparently this is the best horse Henry Cecil has ever trained."

Here is today’s line:

"……..no. A decisive NO!!!! Frankel! Unbeaten – utilises that turn of foot to DEVASTATING effect……..what a race!!! What a horse!!!!"

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Richard Hoiles in the Sussex!

Great bit of commentary.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Richard Hoiles in the Sussex!

Great bit of commentary.

Wasn’t it just!!! The anticipation and build up to that race was like nothing I have experienced for many a year. I was at my parents house in France and the holiday stopped so that we could watch that race.

The Duel on The Downs. The racing public were split and CC was even favourite in the run up to the race although Frankel hardened the nearer they got to race day. Hannon and Hughes were bullish and would not hear of defeat. Cecil was outwardly calm but you knew how much this one meant to him.

EF said that this was his best performance of 2011 and I am inclined to agree with her. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact there was no pacemaker for this race. They kept it simple. He settled beautifully from the front and that turn of foot he showed at the 2 pole left CC for dead.

It was such a shame that over a week later Team Hannon came out with their excuses. I found it a strange statement as well. Saying that they COULD keep him in training and that he is perfectly sound but that it MIGHT cause problems in the future and certainly explained why he hung across the track. It didn’t make sense to me at the time and I thought it was a pretty poor show as it took the gloss of it for many. I know lots of Frankel’s detractors were happy to jump on this and to this day still say that he beat an unfit CC.

For me that was patently not true. Like many before him and ,many after him, CC was simply blown away by the great horse and the drift was caused by him being asked to go quicker than he was capable of going. It wasnt the first time he had done it was it?!

Another one tomorrow.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I have to say that commentator has the worst voice I’ve ever heard for the job. He sounds like a throwback to the 1950’s to me.

The commentary on the Juddmonte sounds just like children’s TV narrator Oliver Postgate. He could be announcing the start of Pogles Wood.

Give me Jim McGrath any day. (Simon Holt I think in the Juddmonte?)

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I have to say that commentator has the worst voice I’ve ever heard for the job. He sounds like a throwback to the 1950’s to me.

The commentary on the Juddmonte sounds just like children’s TV narrator Oliver Postgate. He could be announcing the start of Pogles Wood.

Give me Jim McGrath any day.

Each to their own Hammy! I can’t bear Jim. He says "on settling down" about three times a race!

I was just thinking that after the Sussex was the first and, as far as I am aware, the only time that Henry referred to Frankel as the best there has ever been. He said it to Lydia Hislop "I would think he is the best you have ever seen" "I am certain he is!" she replied.

Henry was certainly caught up in the emotion of the day and it is interesting that he hasn’t repeated it since. "I don’t like to compare generations" is his favourite line these days. But I think we all know what he really thinks……

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I like Simon Holt – he has the balance between Professionalism and ranting with sheer excitement down to a tee. EG – Frankels Guineas, Denmans Gold Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Simon Holt nearly got tongue-tied with excitement in the Juddmonte International when he mentioned St Nicholas Abbey’s name as Frankel cruised past. It sounded like "St Nicholthethus Abbey" :lol:

Frankel’s 2000 Guineas win still blows my mind. It was the sheer surprise and brutality of it that sets it apart from any other race I’ve seen.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Simon Holt nearly got tongue-tied with excitement in the Juddmonte International when he mentioned St Nicholas Abbey’s name as Frankel cruised past. It sounded like "St Nicholthethus Abbey"

:lol:

Frankel’s 2000 Guineas win still blows my mind. It was the sheer surprise and brutality of it that sets it apart from any other race I’ve seen.

He did but his immortal words,

"They can’t get him off the bridle!"

Will reverberate down the passage of time forever in racing folk lore.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.