The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Forumite of the Year 2008 (the big one)

Home Forums Archive Topics Forumite of the Year 2008 (the big one)

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1904

No, no, Onthesteal, I cannot be persuaded. You are not dim and that is all there is to it.

At the very worst, you are a halfwit, but that is my final offer.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Jeremy gets my vote.

Always writes in depth about racing, and shows real enthusiasm for watching racing, recording previews, and especially his evident love for point-to-pointing.

A really nice guy too.

For me, all J’s excellent work over the years has been undone in 2008 by his creeping acceptance of sand-dancing and other Flattie nonsense.

He’s definitely being drawn-in by the ‘dark side’.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I know, Grass. It’s been like this ever since I was kidnapped at Ascot last December and had a microchip fitted into the side of my brain by some evil scientists in cahoots with Arena Leisure.

Inwardly I’m screaming, "This is an affront to the eyeballs!" Outwardly, however, I’m programmed to say, "This looks a competitive Polytrack seller. Yakimov has his optimum trip and surface once more, though the draw may have been kinder". Help meeeeeeeeeee…. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Inwardly I’m screaming, "This is an affront to the eyeballs!" Outwardly, however, I’m programmed to say, "This looks a competitive Polytrack seller. Yakimov has his optimum trip and surface once more, though the draw may have been kinder". Help meeeeeeeeeee…. 8)

gc

Help definitely required. Us genuine flatties know that Yakimov is a fibresand warrior! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

What has been happening on this thread?
    Can’t be bothered to read all of it, kittens, bags and all.

Some have made it in to a posh vs working class issue again, foolish anti-snobbery. Does not matter where you come from or ‘ow you speak. Granma and spelling are something I think we all should check. Not talking about looking it up in a dictionary, just read the post before sending to see any obvious errors. You can always put some stuff in like "can’t" instead of "could not" etc.

There are some on here with obvious errors, errors which yes I can see through but are none the less aggravating. Taking longer to read and understand than they should be.

However, this thread should not put off those who genuinely find spelling and grammar difficult. It is what you think that is important not how you say it as long as people can understand you.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Taking longer to read and understand than they should be ???? Uh! Uh!

Taking longer to read and understand than they should do :wink:

FFS Ginge do try and improve your grammer :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Help definitely required. Us genuine flatties know that Yakimov is a fibresand warrior! :lol:

Snotbubbles. I have the entire all-weather horse population at my disposal with which to make a point, and then I go and commit a factual faux pas like that. D’oh!!

Ah well, I never said it was a good microchip they stuck in there… 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I think that reading many of the well written posts on here actually serves to improve my vocabulary, slowly but surely, yet at the same time, if someone writes worse than myself, I don’t really care. This grammar argument, IMO has come about from people wishing to redress those who write worse than themselves.

There are various factors which contribute to how someone will write IMO such as what school they went to, what level of education they went to, what subjects they studied, what jobs they do, how much precedence they actually place on the importance of good english in their day to day lives, how much they write, how much they read, etc, etc etc.

The end result of which will be that they will write in a way that comes most comfortable to them, whether it be T.E. Lawrenece or Roald Dahl standard. IMO no-one should be made to apologise for writing exemplorary english, likewise, I dont think anyone should be chastised for not writing to that same standard.

“If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings – nor lose the common touch….”

I personally come on to the forum because I like racing and enjoy talking to like minded people on a relaxed forum which is quite demographic of racing, with people’s various backgrounds, angles, knowledge etc. I dont post because I wish to be punctilious in my use of queens english, and it hasnt been until reading this thread that I have become as conscious of it’s importance in the minds of some. :?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

There are various factors which contribute to how someone will write IMO such as what school they went to, what level of education they went to

Its WHICH not WHAT

And you cant "go to" a level of education

:wink:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

You can go to sixth upper, you can go to university, you can go for post graduate courses etc. I’m sure that there is a better word to go in the the place of go clive but go went well in the absence of that word from my brain at the moment of typing. :lol: :wink:

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Granma and spelling are something I think we all should check.
    Mark

I check on her most evenings :lol: She does get a bit frail at this time of year.

Sorry, they’ve got me at it now :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Mark

I check on her most evenings :lol: She does get a bit frail at this time of year.

Deliberate mistake mate, :lol:

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 602

Mark

Deliberate mistake mate, :lol:

Mark

Boom-Boom-Tishhh! I suppose you could try something similar along the lines of fruit-based double entendres, but I would never put those in one of my enormous melons postings on the forum.

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

On a related subject, I note that Bulwark said that something had “not went downhill…” earlier in the thread but wondered if this was an Irish saying, a bit like when they say such and such ran well in Punchestown and not at Punchestown?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Ding Dong battle this one.

• Total Posts 602

Ding Dong battle this one.

What? Leslie Phillips is winning??? :shock:

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

On a related subject, I note that Bulwark said that something had “not went downhill…” earlier in the thread but wondered if this was an Irish saying, a bit like when they say such and such ran well in Punchestown and not at Punchestown?

It may just be a regional varation of saying something is “on the slide”, to me it’s just one of those day to day expressions.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.